Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Buying Advice on a 2013 2.4 Aplhard

Hi chaps, had a spot of bad luck and expecting my Jag XJ-L to be written off. Been looking at Japanaese import vans such as the Alphard, velfire and nissan elgrand. Ive got my eye on a 2.4 Aplhard but don’t know much about them. What’s the road tax like on the 2.4L and 3L? Also is there much MPG difference between the two. When is the service interval and do they have cam belts or chains? What mileage/age do they need changing? Any known issues with the Alphard I need to keep an eye open for? What’s the model range like e.g. base model to top-spec? The Alphard I’m looking at has aftermarket 20” wheels? Does anyone else have these big wheels? How does it affect the ride in your experience? 
sorry for all the questions!!! 

14 minutes ago, Innes_UK said:

Hi chaps, had a spot of bad luck and expecting my Jag XJ-L to be written off. Been looking at Japanaese import vans such as the Alphard, velfire and nissan elgrand. Ive got my eye on a 2.4 Aplhard but don’t know much about them. What’s the road tax like on the 2.4L and 3L? Also is there much MPG difference between the two. When is the service interval and do they have cam belts or chains? What mileage/age do they need changing? Any known issues with the Alphard I need to keep an eye open for? What’s the model range like e.g. base model to top-spec? The Alphard I’m looking at has aftermarket 20” wheels? Does anyone else have these big wheels? How does it affect the ride in your experience? 
sorry for all the questions!!! 

Hello Innes,

Welcome to the Forum.

Very sorry to hear about your Jaguar.

I have an XJR and would be lost without her.

Service interval is interesting, it is not easy to get Toyota to service a grey import.

2,4 is a chain, 3l V6 is a belt,

Some say 60k (miles) for the belt, others say much longer.

If the belt fails you will not wreck you engine as the design is non-interference. but you will be stranded.

As non-interference the valves do not enter the piston swept area.

The base ranges are very good and comfortable.

The good news is that Snows in Plymouth will almost certainly service it for you.

Very unusual for a Toyota main dealer.

The high end models are fully loaded with lots of gizmos, many useful, some not so.

I would be very cautious with large wheel and low profile.

You could change a luxurious ride into a go kart.

It is not cheap to restore the van to OEM suspension, if it has been lowered.

Please send me a Private Message. Who is the vendor? Private or Business ?

Thanks Rojie. Yea feeling very sad about the XJ. It’s a LWB and is a beautiful car to drive but my wife drives her more than I do and needs leg room for adults in the back so that’s why I’m considering a van. Good to know about the cam belts/chains! I’ll PM you the details of the van I’m considering. Opinions are welcome. It’s a vendor. Southwest car imports based in Plympton Plymouth.