Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Awning

I have had an awning rail fitted to mine, which is 260cm long and will accept most campervan & drive-away awnings (need drive away kit).

We were advised AGAINST a Fiamma type roll out awning as it doesn't fit great and because stands away from the car, is very noisy.

Hi all.  We bought an Outdoor Revolution Cayman Air Low (180 - 220) awning, earlier this year, plus a magnetic removable strip to attach it onto.  Fits on well and we are very pleased with it.  Hope this is of some use.  Regards Patrick  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We have a Thule Omnistor 4900 fitted as a side roll-out awning. Pleased with it, it comes with feet that take a tent peg and there's an additional hold-down kit available for the adventurous!

Regards,

pcous

On 8/28/2021 at 5:42 PM, Pritch said:

I have had an awning rail fitted to mine, which is 260cm long and will accept most campervan & drive-away awnings (need drive away kit).

We were advised AGAINST a Fiamma type roll out awning as it doesn't fit great and because stands away from the car, is very noisy.

Just an update to the above, the rail fitted is NOT 260cm long, rather it is a max of 220cm. This is the longest it will go due to the curvature of the roof, so BE AWARE when buying the awning itself.

Our rail fits inside the pop top roof, as told that if it extends outside this it can affect the roof sit - makes sense.

We set our awning up last Friday for the first time, and tbh it sat very low, despite some adjustment, and were told that the awning height was 205cm....its actually around 195, (couldnt go higher or further back, so for the Alphard, this seems the highest you can get.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pcous said:

Hi,

We have a Thule Omnistor 4900 fitted as a side roll-out awning. Pleased with it, it comes with feet that take a tent peg and there's an additional hold-down kit available for the adventurous!

Regards,

pcous

I presume this is an upright fitting if so how much height does it add to the vehicle?

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 8:24 AM, Pritch said:

Just an update to the above, the rail fitted is NOT 260cm long, rather it is a max of 220cm. This is the longest it will go due to the curvature of the roof, so BE AWARE when buying the awning itself.

Our rail fits inside the pop top roof, as told that if it extends outside this it can affect the roof sit - makes sense.

We set our awning up last Friday for the first time, and tbh it sat very low, despite some adjustment, and were told that the awning height was 205cm....its actually around 195, (couldnt go higher or further back, so for the Alphard, this seems the highest you can get.)

Hi Pritch

Calders also fitted a 180 cm rail to our Alphard, but have now agreed - partly after I had spoken to them about your posts here - to fit the 220 cm one. Nevertheless, in shopping for an awning online, I am having difficulty in finding one where the “tunnel” attachment part is smaller than 260 cm. Was this your experience ? - were you able to source an awning to fit the 220 cm rail, or does it not matter that the awning exceeds the length of the rail by a small amount ? Any advice on this you can offer would be gratefully received.

2 hours ago, insideright said:

Hi Pritch

Calders also fitted a 180 cm rail to our Alphard, but have now agreed - partly after I had spoken to them about your posts here - to fit the 220 cm one. Nevertheless, in shopping for an awning online, I am having difficulty in finding one where the “tunnel” attachment part is smaller than 260 cm. Was this your experience ? - were you able to source an awning to fit the 220 cm rail, or does it not matter that the awning exceeds the length of the rail by a small amount ? Any advice on this you can offer would be gratefully received.

Hi there,

ok, we have a small sun canopy awning which is 260l in terms of awning attachment. 

The way we fit it, is to fit to length at the rear door end, and the windscreen end, I have attached a strap to the awning that can go over the van (between the pop top & the deflector). This helps 'lift' the loose end to the level of the rail, yet retain its integrity as a full length awning.

We have also just bought a driveaway strip, which is pretty stiff, so this may negate the need for the strap, but if not, we know it still works.

Hope that makes sense, just dont buy anything longer than 260cm

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/8/2021 at 8:24 AM, Pritch said:

Hi 

On the subject of awning rails, a general question for anyone's response if possible please. I've recently had a universal awning rail fitted to my alphard on the roof to be clear if the side door. Looking at full (tent style) awning, done lots of searches including those specific to an alphard, to no avail. Will any type awning fit in which case? Realising of course that the tent top fixtures will have to clear the van door when open.

New to this whole thing so any product advice/recommendations gratefully received. Thanks H.