Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hybrid owners - any regrets?

I’m torn between a late 1st gen hybrid and an early 2nd gen 2.4l. The first tend to be slightly cheaper but there aren’t as many around. Apart from the fuel efficiency I like the idea of mild 4wd, which I think would be too much for a 2.4. But are there any problems with the hybrids that would make it a pain to live with?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi yes i have a 2008 hybrid which is a superb drive, driven right on flat road or down hill builds up the electric charge on the hybrid battery, not good on hills, underpowered to my mind, would imagine same with the 2.4 versions of all the alphards, if you wish to do motorway driving, also ok till you start inclining, with foot down hybrids will tend to rely more on the petrol, then a 3 ltr would be the best,  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, arthurj said:

Thanks for the info. Can I just ask what sort of mpg you get?

@arthurj In all Alphard's including the hybrid you get about 30mpg on avg, 24 ish in cities and 36 ish on motorways

I have a 3L so is a bit greedier than the 2.4 petrol and hybrid. But those are the generic readings

Definitely most practical car if your looking for mpg.. But this one bad does not outweigh all the good!

It is one of the best cars I've owned and i have loved it to bits, and 30mpg isn't as bad as you think! 

You can always LPG convert which will set you back around 1500 avg.. you will get around 60mpg

YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER HYBRID/PETROL VAN ON THE MARKET

(you can also check out the Nissan elgrand. I like them a lot but went for a Toyota due to the features and reliability)

Hope this helps

Charlie

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, john Moyce said:

Hi Thinking of an Alphard Hybrid concerned on battery life and replacement cost,  primarily as I would be looking to move it on in 3 years. 

Appreciate your reply's

John

Hi John, welcome to the Forum.

Hi, I'm new here and currently looking into the hybrid alphard as a replacement for an ageing diesel mazda bongo. I've been trying to find info on the different generations of hybrid alphard, and the pros and cons of each. Any advice from experienced owners? 🙂

• 1 month later...

I too wish to find out pros and cons between 1st and 2nd generation (there's probably no dispute that the powertrain is slightly improved). I'm wary of the 2.4 2AZ-FE engine which seems to be one of the worst in the Toyota lineup, maybe JDM ones are different.

So my thoughts are getting the 3.0 1st gen with 5spd auto or 3.5 2nd gen 6spd auto unless the 2.4 engine (or particularly the hybrid version) had improved by then, buying a 1st gen hybrid seems like trouble.

Edited by kjj

I’m not an expert but I was also worried about this and researched it.

So with regards to the engine, there were two problems: one was the problem that could result in catastrophic damage and required a full rebuild of the engine, the other is the oil burning. As I understand it, the first problem was eliminated in a revision in 2007 (I think). If you have a car prior to this, I believe it will be ok so long as recalls have been followed. I think I’ve read of one person who has this problem in the uk so it’s pretty rare.

The second problem is way less of a problem. It may only affect US versions and it may have been fixed/improved after 2008, but even if not, judging by US forums you just need to keep an eye on oil levels. It’s otherwise an extremely reliable engine.

Even though the engine stayed the same between 1st and 2nd gen, the hybrid drivetrain was completely reworked. As I understand it, the 2nd gen is much more reliable, particularly the CVT gearbox, but I’ve heard no complaints from 1st gen owners either.

Thanks a lot for the reply I really appreciate it. I'm looking at JDM auctions, is there any chance you imported a car yourself (or as a forum member could refer me somewhere) and would recommend a particular importer/exporter? Another car I'm looking at is the 13th gen Toyota Crown Hybrid (planning on getting one van and one car, another contendor is the Honda Stepwagon),  please could you tell me how the hybrid was improved in the second gen? Perhaps the hybrid crown also benefitted from this, I know it uses the e-CVT...

If you’re looking at the Stepwagon size, there’s also the Toyota Noah Hybrid, which is a bit smaller than the Alphard but a lot cheaper for a newer vehicle. There’s a couple of them around my area.

If you’re looking to import I’d speak to an agent. There’s a few recommended on this site. I went with Paul @ JapAutoAgent and he will happily chat about the differences between models and that. Just allow yourself a good hour for that phone call :)

Yeah I definitely know about the Noah I've spent far too much time looking at ads, the Stepwagon seems a better package than the Noah for me, the Noah also has the instrument cluster in the centre instead of infront of the driver which puts me off.  Please could you tell me what the fees you paid were mate? My plan was to simply get a business in Japan to win two auctions for me and collect/store the cars until the boat is ready, Was hoping to be able to be able to keep middleman fees under 100,000 yen/£650 for two cars.