Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Alphard 2003 3.0 V6 abnormal fuel consumption

Hi. I recently bought Alphard 3.0 V6 2003. On steady motorway driving 60-70mph max when revs are between 2500-3000rpm, fuel consumption is 20MPG (UK) 

I don’t think it’s normal?  I’ve checked air filter and it’s like new (still white all around) I’ve plugged my diagnostics and o2 oxygen sensors showing I believe normal values between 0.1V - 0.8V. Car is rolling nicely, no brakes seized etc. 

The only thing I haven’t checked are spark plugs but engine is running very nice and smooth, good acceleration, no misfires etc, no smoke from exhaust even under hard acceleration, drives lovely, . Tyres on 35psi. Anyone know what else I could  check to reduce fuel consumption? 

Happy to hear from you guys what’s your fuel consumption on motorway. Thanks 

EF51CFCA-F991-49B4-AB42-389660BFE723.jpeg

Edited by Mario-R

11 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Revs are too high. You driving in ‘D’ mode? Not D3?

should Rev at about 1800 to 2000 and give you closer to 30mpg.

I was on “D” mode and it’s prefacelift 4 speed gearbox but fuel consumption it’s still too high in my opinion 

Edited by Mario-R

According to my handbook, it depends on which model you have.

The M series is quoted as 8.9 lt per km, whereas

The A series is quoted as 9.4 lt per km.

These figures, I assume, are average consumption (in Japan, if that makes a difference, altitude, traffic density, etc).

I have not had my M series long enough to suggest what mileage you should get.

Rereading this, it looks very wrong!

But is lifted from the manual I have.

I just checked the manual again. This IS what id says.

Methinks it should be litres per 100km !

Sorry.

On 8/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, Mario-R said:

Hi. I recently bought Alphard 3.0 V6 2003. On steady motorway driving 60-70mph max when revs are between 2500-3000rpm, fuel consumption is 20MPG (UK) 

I don’t think it’s normal?  I’ve checked air filter and it’s like new (still white all around) I’ve plugged my diagnostics and o2 oxygen sensors showing I believe normal values between 0.1V - 0.8V. Car is rolling nicely, no brakes seized etc. 

The only thing I haven’t checked are spark plugs but engine is running very nice and smooth, good acceleration, no misfires etc, no smoke from exhaust even under hard acceleration, drives lovely, . Tyres on 35psi. Anyone know what else I could  check to reduce fuel consumption? 

On 8/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, Mario-R said:

E

Hi mario

i have a 20063lt v6 alphie with a 4speed auto box, at 60 mph my revs are 3100. At 70 they are 3200 this while driving in d4. The fuel consumption you state I would call reasonable I have had many 2.5 autos before and at best returned 25mpg.

mike

5 hours ago, Mike Matts said:

Hi mario

i have a 20063lt v6 alphie with a 4speed auto box, at 60 mph my revs are 3100. At 70 they are 3200 this while driving in d4. The fuel consumption you state I would call reasonable I have had many 2.5 autos before and at best returned 25mpg.

mike

2006 v6 should be 5 spd auto. If you drive in D mode then you will be using all 5 auto gears, if you drive in D4 mode then you will only be using gears 1 to 4, hence your high revs at 60 and 70mph and low fuel consumption. Suggest you use D mode. You should then Rev at about 2000 rpm at 60 to 70mph and your fuel economy will go up quite a bit too.

On 8/26/2021 at 8:13 AM, Mike Matts said:

Hi mario

mike

Hi mario

i must correct myself as wish states drive in D not D4 see photos

mike

Hi mario

mike

Please ignor. This comment it is wrong I have been driving my alphie for months in 4th gear not D which is 5th thank to vjwh for his post and putting me right

Mike

Hi mario

mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Picasso said:

I'm getting my 3.0 alphard converted to lpg next week been quoted £1395.00 I'm please with the quote 

That’s a good price. Can you Post details of the converter ?

• 2 weeks later...