Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Urgent help please Where is passenger side fuse box?

Hi I have just had the misfortune of blowing all the tail lights of my 2003 3.0 VVTI Alphard MNH10 

I was working on trying to replace an LED bulb above number plate and was using my screwdriver which touched and caused a short and blew all the lights

My MOT is due in October hence urgent help required as im running out of time

I bought the small owners manual 2002-2008 which shows all the fuse boxes 2 under the bonnet, 1 drivers side which i have found

the one fuse box i need has about 20 fuses and no 13 is for tail light. in the book it says the passenger side. i have removed glove box but its not there only an air filter 

Please advise if this fusebox is in a different location in my van or if it doesnt exist in my model

the model i have has been modified with aftermarket equipment and im worried its been removed, moved or replaced 

please help urgently

11 hours ago, John Sut 1 said:

Hi I have just had the misfortune of blowing all the tail lights of my 2003 3.0 VVTI Alphard MNH10 

I was working on trying to replace an LED bulb above number plate and was using my screwdriver which touched and caused a short and blew all the lights

I bought the small owners manual 2002-2008 which shows all the fuse boxes 2 under the bonnet, 1 drivers side which i have found

the one fuse box i need has about 20 fuses and no 13 is for tail light. in the book it says the passenger side. i have removed glove box but its not there only an air filter 

Please advise if this fusebox is in a different location in my van or if it doesnt exist in my model

the model i have has been modified with aftermarket equipment and im worried its been removed, moved or replaced 

please help urgently

Was the video below  helpful ?

According to my Owners Manual, it's the wrong vehicle and not the correct fusebox, but it does appear to be in the right position.

11 hours ago, John Sut 1 said:

please help urgently

its not the same as my vehicle fusebox which i have now found after taking out the glovebox and bottom left cover nearest the door

the cover has a sticker with the list of fuses on it. which told me i was in correct place so after a bit of searching in among the wires i found a small fuse box level with the plastic horizontal frame left side of the glove box about 2 inches deeper amongst the wires.

difficult to get access got to get down and put your hand up underneath to try and pull out and change the fuses,

i pulled the blown 10amp red fuse for tail and found it was blown. there was another 10amp next to it which i moved to get my tail lights on

i went to halfords and bought a mixed box of mini fuses so i would have spares as there are other things in the van not working like my front fog lights.

so im going to check every fuse now and see if there are any more blown as probably no one has found this fusebox before to replace fuses.

my original problem was no lights above the back numberplate which fails the mot. so i unscrewed the back door handle and then popped all the grommets to get at the wiring as its diffiult to pop out the number plate lights from the outside. once popped out i got into the led bulbs and found them not to work.

so i went to halfords and got 2 new led bulbs for a few pounds 12v 5w white push in type. guy told me they only work in one direction when you push in so if it doesnt work turn it 180 deg. so i should now pass the mot

my next light problem is one of the rear lower tail lights on the bumper isnt working and it looks like i need to take off the bumper to get access so ive had a look and ill need repacement toyota plastic bumper fasteners as once you break them you need to replace them. My lights at back are all clear white glass leds aftermarket lights which light up as red leds. ive managed to get toyota part no from anayama japanese parts website and may replace them with originals or similar. again this light not working will fail mot so a quick fix cheat is to buy red reflector tape and stick it on to glass to pass MOT.

Hope this helps you enjoy the challenge of owning a bespoke Alphard 😉

• Thanks 1

I am so glad you found the correct fuse box. I found the video helpful in so much as it showed me how to remove the lower glovebox.

My car is a later model than yours, and I have twin rear fog lights installed in the rear valance in place of the standard reflectors.

I suggest you check that both your rear lights are actually lights, and that the non functional one is not just a reflector.

If you have the correct part number; Toyota Direct may be able to help you with the led. They may, even have it in stock.

Similarly, if you have the part number (from the epc) any Toyota dealer may help you out.

Good luck, nice to hear you are making progress. Well done.

• 3 months later...
On 9/24/2021 at 4:08 AM, Rojie said:

I am so glad you found the correct fuse box. I found the video helpful in so much as it showed me how to remove the lower glovebox.

My car is a later model than yours, and I have twin rear fog lights installed in the rear valance in place of the standard reflectors.

I suggest you check that both your rear lights are actually lights, and that the non functional one is not just a reflector.

If you have the correct part number; Toyota Direct may be able to help you with the led. They may, even have it in stock.

Similarly, if you have the part number (from the epc) any Toyota dealer may help you out.

Good luck, nice to hear you are making progress. Well done.

Hi, newbie Vellfire 2008 owner here and still getting to grips with things. Are the bumper reflectors simply clip in? I have a rear fog light dangling below the rear bumper, which looks awful. I would like to replace the rear reflectors with reflector/fog light units.

Any info on how to swap would be amazing.

6 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

Hi, newbie Vellfire 2008 owner here and still getting to grips with things. Are the bumper reflectors simply clip in? I have a rear fog light dangling below the rear bumper, which looks awful. I would like to replace the rear reflectors with reflector/fog light units.

Any info on how to swap would be amazing.

Hello Jellybean.

There is nothing wrong with your idea BUT

I have been trying to find replacements for my rear fog lights which were fitted by the importer in the rear valance.

To pass an MOT you need at least one fog light and two reflectors.

The problem you face, is the same as I do,  that most of the items available on ebay are not reflectors.

The descriptions are often extremely misleading, and are certainly ambiguous.

I have learnt the descriptions mean the units fit where the original reflectors fit, they do not mean they contain reflectors !

I have written to many suppliers, although most of the units are made by the same company, and most supplies don't reply to confirm they are reflective.

I have not tried to remove my fog li/ screw attachment.

If you find any fog lights that fit the reflector openings, and they do contain reflectors, please let me know.

As I am satisfied with my rear fog lights, I face three options for the reflectors.

Either ignore the issue and hope the MOT inspector does not 'look too carefully'

Fit mud flaps and put reflectors on them.

Stick, or bolt, reflectors to the tailgate or rear valance.

I have not decided what approach to take yet !

There are dimensional requirements for the placement of the reflectors, and any fog lights.

Check the DVLA website for Guidance to MOT Inspectors.

Hi, and many thanks for the quick reply. I have a set of fog lamps to replace the reflectors, courtesy of AliExpress,  so will check to see if they are reflective.

Also have a set of mud flaps, so reflectors on the 2 rear flaps could be the easiest way round this issue.

This valenti part, I think, would e compliant, but costs a small fortune - my purchase finger is itchy, I must say.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/valenti-led-rear-bumper-reflector-toyota-type-1.html

https://valentijapan.com/product/ledrearbumperreflector/rbr_toyota/

Edited by Chris.ac
UPDATE LINK
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris.ac said:

This valenti part, I think, would be compliant, but costs a small fortune - my purchase finger is itchy, I must say.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/valenti-led-rear-bumper-reflector-toyota-type-1.html

https://valentijapan.com/product/ledrearbumperreflector/rbr_toyota/

Firstly Chris, I commend you yet again; for sifting through huge amounts of product / info to help us fellow members.

I have warned folks about many of the 'reflectors' on ebay for not being reflectors.

At first glance these lenses seem to be in 'two parts' or segments.

This is very encouraging.

All units I have found. so far, with wiring emanating from the assembly, have been lights without reflectors.

These look like they may be our answer.

At £75 (ish) they are expensive, but if they fit the bill, lights and reflectors, I will make a purchase.

I have an itchy finger too.

I am going to check these very carefully before making a purchase; but I am hopeful.

My guess is these do not have the correct marking, but I am splitting hairs, and I doubt ANY Mot Inspectors check at that level of detail.

Reading the details

"These items are designed to replace the factory rear bumper reflector setup. Superior quality LED bulbs and reflector design provide high quality illumination and reflection properties. Three layer construction provides a gorgeous shine whether acting as a reflector, on with small lamp or as a brake lamp. Add a great touch of safety, style and sports to the rear end of the vehicle with this kit. Get this and all your JDM at RHDJapan!!

These DO appear to meet our needs.

They also, according to the Blurb fit my vehicle (and many others).

More checks tomorrow. Fingers crossed !

16 hours ago, Rojie said:

Firstly Chris, I commend you yet again; for sifting through huge amounts of product / info to help us fellow members.

I have warned folks about many of the 'reflectors' on ebay for not being reflectors.

At first glance these lenses seem to be in 'two parts' or segments.

This is very encouraging.

All units I have found. so far, with wiring emanating from the assembly, have been lights without reflectors.

These look like they may be our answer.

At £75 (ish) they are expensive, but if they fit the bill, lights and reflectors, I will make a purchase.

I have an itchy finger too.

I am going to check these very carefully before making a purchase; but I am hopeful.

My guess is these do not have the correct marking, but I am splitting hairs, and I doubt ANY Mot Inspectors check at that level of detail.

Reading the details

"These items are designed to replace the factory rear bumper reflector setup. Superior quality LED bulbs and reflector design provide high quality illumination and reflection properties. Three layer construction provides a gorgeous shine whether acting as a reflector, on with small lamp or as a brake lamp. Add a great touch of safety, style and sports to the rear end of the vehicle with this kit. Get this and all your JDM at RHDJapan!!

These DO appear to meet our needs.

They also, according to the Blurb fit my vehicle (and many others).

More checks tomorrow. Fingers crossed !

Chris,

I have written to RDN to try to confirm the rear light units do have reflectors.

There is a note that they have used generic photos, so thought I would check !

Although there is no dimensional info (that I could find) my Alphard model is quoted in the listing for applicable vehicles.

Is yours ?

They are expensive, but if they provide a 'tidy' solution I will invest in a set.

I'll keep you updated.

27 minutes ago, Rojie said:

I have written to RDN to try to confirm the rear light units do have reflectors.

There is a note that they have used generic photos, so thought I would check !

Although there is no dimensional info (that I could find) my Alphard model is quoted in the listing for applicable vehicles.

Is yours ?

They are expensive, but if they provide a 'tidy' solution I will invest in a set.

I'll keep you updated.

Hi Chris,

My MOT is due in mid March, so l will probably book her in for Mid to late Feb.

When is yours due ?

Yes, there are several 'types' listed - they do appear to mirror the standard toyota model dimensions, for me type 1 is needed, but I know some of the 2008-2010 would use type2.

The next hurdle will be shipping to UK, a site like Jauce will act as a middleman, as many businesses dont ship outside of Japan directly, when I bought a full set of windows shades (excellent quality and fit for all windows, even the small quarter panels at front) the shipping was more than the item - it may be possible to order more than 1 set at once if we get a few people to join us, and the total shipping will be less, as they charge by total container size etc.

2 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

Yes, there are several 'types' listed - they do appear to mirror the standard toyota model dimensions, for me type 1 is needed, but I know some of the 2008-2010 would use type2.

The next hurdle will be shipping to UK, a site like Jauce will act as a middleman, as many businesses don't ship outside of Japan directly, when I bought a full set of windows shades (excellent quality and fit for all windows, even the small quarter panels at front) the shipping was more than the item - it may be possible to order more than 1 set at once if we get a few people to join us, and the total shipping will be less, as they charge by total container size etc.

RDN do appear to ship / export to the UK, but it is £25 ! There were three options. I can't remember what they were, DHL etc with delivery just a few days later.

I think there is no UK duty. I'll have to check that.

Although what you have discovered is close to a panacea, my guess is, they will be too expensive for many club members; but who knows !

I'll let you know when I hear back from RDN.

7 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

Sweet, my CC is waiting to order, haha.

The good news is I heard back from RDN in Japan.

Unfortunately they didn't confirm, or otherwise, that the lights have reflectors.

I have re written to them, hopefully with a more clear and precise request !

Fingers crossed.

Well, they do state that it passes the ECE standard, and they are E marked, which means the retroreflector must attain a certain percentage of light reflected back to the source - from the images I see, the 2 halfs of the lens have the reflective prisms offset by at least 45degrees, which would indicate they have attempted to comply to both the ECE and SAE standards within one lens.

Of course, i'm no expert, just someone that has probably wasted way too much time delving into UN and ECE regulations with respect to lighting!

Still would be interested in hearing a categorical statement by them, i'm willing to pay this premium price if it means zero hassle from enforcement officers or testers.

47 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

Well, they do state that it passes the ECE standard, and they are E marked, which means the retroreflector must attain a certain percentage of light reflected back to the source - from the images I see, the 2 halfs of the lens have the reflective prisms offset by at least 45degrees, which would indicate they have attempted to comply to both the ECE and SAE standards within one lens.

Of course, i'm no expert, just someone that has probably wasted way too much time delving into UN and ECE regulations with respect to lighting!

Still would be interested in hearing a categorical statement by them, i'm willing to pay this premium price if it means zero hassle from enforcement officers or testers.

I'm also prepared to pay the premium.

The ones in the photo do not look as long and slim as those fitted to my van. But, they do have my van listed.

I think they ill be fine, but don't want to 'waste' a £100 or so.

As my MOT is not too far away, I hope to make a purchase decision very soon.

Do you have any experience of fitting rear lights / reflectors ?

Is it easy ?

18 hours ago, Rojie said:

I'm also prepared to pay the premium.

The ones in the photo do not look as long and slim as those fitted to my van. But, they do have my van listed.

I think they ill be fine, but don't want to 'waste' a £100 or so.

As my MOT is not too far away, I hope to make a purchase decision very soon.

Do you have any experience of fitting rear lights / reflectors ?

Is it easy ?

Hi Chris,

RDN Japan have sent this reply !

Thank you for contacting us! I was not able to confirm that
unfortunately. These are for JDM market or off-road use only.

In itself, this doesn't mean they are not OK, but it makes a £100 investment look very risky.

There must be a convertor / importer somewhere in the UK that has a solution to this !

Search continues, time to buy some mud flaps as I am running out of time.

• 1 year later...