Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Radio replacement

Got our Alphard 2 days ago. Absolutely LOVE it!

Our dealer advised we didn't bother with the Japanese radio but get a new one? Any opinions on this? Mostly we play CDs. The Alphard radio doesn't seem to have one, although there is an 'Open' button. 

Also, our other big thing is wanting the swivel seats - is there a good video to show you how it's done?  Most videos are so bad you can't see whats's happening, some seem to not use any handles but just twist (quite violently) any help gratefully accepted!

Swivel seats.

Please see my reply to Darren C regarding swivel seats.

Are you sure the seats fitted to your Alphe are not the swivel type; many are.

Does the head unit screen open and flatten ?

If so, I think you will find the CD there. Mine works fine, DVDs too; but it depends on which head unit you have.

You can get the radio to work for about £20. The head unit needs to be removed and a Radio Frequency Expander fitted.

Most owners update to a UK unit before the lovely Japanese lady drives them crazy.

I have a swivel seat in my garage, I'll check it as I think there is an activation lever. More later......

2 hours ago, Jenny Smedley said:

Our dealer advised we didn't bother with the Japanese radio but get a new one? Any opinions on this? Mostly we play CDs. The Alphard radio doesn't seem to have one, although there is an 'Open' button. 

Also, our other big thing is wanting the swivel seats - is there a good video to show you how it's done?  Most videos are so bad you can't see whats's happening, some seem to not use any handles but just twist (quite violently) any help gratefully accepted!

1 hour ago, Rojie said:

Swivel seats.

If so, I think you will find the CD there. Mine works fine, DVDs too; but it depends on which head unit you have.

You can get the radio to work for about £20. The head unit needs to be removed and a Radio Frequency Expander fitted.

Most owners update to a UK unit before the lovely Japanese lady drives them crazy.

I have a swivel seat in my garage, I'll check it as I think there is an activation lever. More later......

If your seats do swivel then you need to fold the back of the seat forwards then you can turn the seat around, returning the seatback to a reclined position will lock the seat

Mike

2 hours ago, Jenny Smedley said:

the jap hdd is good, way better than a replacement (more features on og.) 

trust me ive tried aftermarket ones. you lose all the original functions 

You just have to take the time to learn it

Ill send a link to an apple car play installer place, keeps og headnit and all og features.. but gives you car play on tv channel

Look up ben hau on facebook hes the only one who does it like this

Best swap imo

Hope this helps

charlie

Afterthought 

Do you have the MZG edition version with leather seats and the foot rests in the middle row ?

These seats will not swivel.

But, I believe, the (some) Captains seats without the facility for footrests can swivel

21 hours ago, Mike Matts said:

If your seats do swivel then you need to fold the back of the seat forwards then you can turn the seat around, returning the seatback to a reclined position will lock the seat

Mike

20 hours ago, charliec said:

Ill send a link to an apple car play installer place, keeps og headnit and all og features.. but gives you car play on tv channel

Best swap imo

Hope this helps

charlie

20 hours ago, charliec said:

Best swap imo

Hope this helps

charlie

21 hours ago, Mike Matts said:

Mike

Got the seats to swivel thank you!  We just got the English handbook so hoping that will help open the radio! Now having issue with back seat - just one seems stuck and won't go towards the back - lever seems to operate but seat won't move - the other one's fine. Any tips?

21 hours ago, charliec said:

Best swap imo

Hope this helps

charlie

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Rojie said:

Swivel seats.

Going to see if the screen opens and flattens - the one we have is like a keyboard on the screen but in Japanese characters.

When you switch on your car, the Japanese lady should greet you, and a Toyota logo, and Japanese characters, appear on the screen.

Depending on your head unit, the open button is lower left hand side at the bottom.

Pressing it should open the screen so as to look like a small tray, which it ISN'T, and the CD slot should be across the top of the facia behind the screen, and a MD unit too.

As far as I can see from my JPNZ manual is that all (original) head units have a CD player.

I don't see any that resemble a 'keyboard'.

With the menu system (of my unit) there are many screens which look like keyboards, because they are.

Without wishing to worry you, I wonder whether your unit may be 'stuck' on a menu screen.

It also sounds like you may be a candidate for an upgrade to an 'English' unit.

Can you upload a photo of the head unit ?

The JPNZ manual will not help you if you have the HDD head unit; but it does cover a couple of the other variants.

The Japanese radio frequencies and the UK are different ! Which is one reason many install UK units.

If you have the HDD unit try EightSeaterBlog.com

He has produced an excellent functional guide to the HDD.

All head units will need a Frequency Extender Unit to receive UK radio.

Only £20 but the head unit has to come out and a switched 12v source is needed to power the Extender.

Have fun !

On 10/5/2021 at 7:36 PM, Mike Matts said:

Mike

Managed to get them to swivel :)

We've given in and gone for a single din DAB radio with CD player, plus blue tooth etc. Got it booked in to be fitted at Halfords next week. Then my hubby says, what about an aerial - there isn't one? Is there? If so, where? I believe the DAB radio comes with a DAB aerial, but is that enough?

Jenny, see page 206 of your manual.

I assume Halfords will be able to identify the existing aerial cable and use that for your new head unit.

I have read reports that the signal strength from the on board aerials can be a little weak.

Hopefully yours won't be.

I am sure Halfords can fit one for you, if necessary.

• Like 1

Looking at the schematics - the aerial runs to back of dash and travels up the A pillars following the rear washer hose, before headed to back of car - antenna must be on rear glass or rear passenger side glass

image.thumb.png.2cf2d92b392f9263e9cdb4ffff008656.png

Edited by Chris.ac

On 10/14/2021 at 3:50 PM, Rojie said:

I assume Halfords will be able to identify the existing aerial cable and use that for your new head unit.

I have read reports that the signal strength from the on board aerials can be a little weak.

Thanks, we found where the aerial is, but Halfords took one look at the screen and said they couldn't do it.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:15 PM, Jenny Smedley said:

We've given in and gone for a single din DAB radio with CD player, plus blue tooth etc. Got it booked in to be fitted at Halfords next week. Then my hubby says, what about an aerial - there isn't one? Is there? If so, where? I believe the DAB radio comes with a DAB aerial, but is that enough?

We got there today only to have him refuse to even take it out - claimed the cables were too complicated (must have x-ray eyes) and he wouldn't be able to source the parts.

Nope they say not.

Nope.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:10 PM, Rojie said:

The JPNZ manual will not help you if you have the HDD head unit; but it does cover a couple of the other variants.

The Japanese radio frequencies and the UK are different ! Which is one reason many install UK units.

Only £20 but the head unit has to come out and a switched 12v source is needed to power the Extender.

Have fun !

We found the radio handbook! Or HDD Navigational System as they call it. In Japanese of course. Now even if I use google translate is really just talks gibberish.

Have fun !

Thank you! I will!

Have fun !

I did go to 8 seater blog, but his HDD is different to ours and doesn't have the same buttons...unless of course they're in Japanese! I will try my translator tomorrow.