Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Headlight fault

Hello Becky,

Welcome to this Forum.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you soon.

Have you checked any fuses ?

Do you know where the fuses are ?

What model Alphie do you have ? ANH, MNH ? and the trim level MZ, MS, AX, AS, etc.

Engine size ? Hybrid ?

Knowing these details may help our members to help you.

I would recommend you buy an English language manual from eBay asap. FRO396 or FRO3035 for a hybrid.

They are worth every penny.

2 hours ago, Rojie said:

Hello Becky,

Welcome to this Forum.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you soon.

Have you checked any fuses ?

Do you know where the fuses are ?

What model Alphie do you have ? ANH, MNH ? and the trim level MZ, MS, AX, AS, etc.

Engine size ? Hybrid ?

Knowing these details may help our members to help you.

I would recommend you buy an English language manual from eBay asap. FRO396 or FRO3035 for a hybrid.

They are worth every penny.

It gone into the mechanics and they can't find what's wrong I will definitely buy a manual thankyou 

16 hours ago, Becky1 said:

It gone into the mechanics and they can't find what's wrong I will definitely buy a manual thankyou 

For clarity, for you and others; the manuals above are English translations of the Owners Manual.

They are not Maintenance Manuals (which I have never seen).

Maintenance work shop manuals for the Toyota alphard have not been released yet by jpnz in New Zealand they have the copyright licence to print all japanese manuals . The workshop manuals are in the  process of being done but won't be available till next year company I work for will advertise them as soon as we get them and I will mention it on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Picasso said:

Maintenance work shop manuals for the Toyota alphard have not been released yet by jpnz in New Zealand they have the copyright licence to print all japanese manuals . The workshop manuals are in the  process of being done but won't be available till next year company I work for will advertise them as soon as we get them and I will mention it on here.

Fantastic news. Thank you

On 11/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, Becky1 said:

Driving at night and my headlights went dim and cut out, has anyone else had this problem?

Both headlights? I’d be looking at fuses.

How long did they go dim for? Just a few seconds? 

May be a stupid question, but do you have anything bright or shining light on to your ambient light sensor on the dashboard? are you in 'auto' lights mode? does flashing high beam work?

Dimming and cutting out can be related to overheating issue, if nothing is loose on bulb housing, are the bulbs at end of operational life?

• 8 months later...

So I’m having what sounds like a similar issue. My passenger headlight comes on when turned on but eventually goes out. When I turn my headlights off and on it comes on again and then eventually goes out. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2022 at 5:56 AM, Edmxrs said:

So I’m having what sounds like a similar issue. My passenger headlight comes on when turned on but eventually goes out. When I turn my headlights off and on it comes on again and then eventually goes out. 

do they appear to flash a few times before cutting off? if so, the HID bulb has reached end of life, you could swap the bulbs between sides and see if the problem follows the bulb, or if it is still the passenger side cutting out, in which case it may be the ballast, loose or dirty connectors, even a fuse not fully seated.

10 minutes ago, Xander said:

Hi did you get this sorted out and do you know why it happened? Mine is currently doing the same.

My bulbs got to the point where they would flash, it took me a while to notice, and it would not happen for about 20mins, the D4S HID bulbs were knackered, cost less than £20 on amazon to get replacement bulbs, wear gloves changing them, as any contaminant from fingers will kill the bulbs.

After replacing them, it may take several/10s of hours of burn in for them to reach their maximum illumination, after which they are set.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. I think I can see mine flickering sometimes now too (just not sure if it’s my eyes). Hopefully mine is just the bulb as well. Been looking at amazon and found bulbs on sale; x2 bulbs (D4S) for £20, hope they’ll do. Really appreciate you letting me know your experience. 

• Like 1

Have just done the bulb exchange for now to see if the problem follows the bulb. Will know more in a few days. And yes, it’s the passenger side. I really hope it’s not something else you mentioned. Will check the fuse and connectors also after your advice.

38 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

do they appear to flash a few times before cutting off? if so, the HID bulb has reached end of life, you could swap the bulbs between sides and see if the problem follows the bulb, or if it is still the passenger side cutting out, in which case it may be the ballast, loose or dirty connectors, even a fuse not fully seated.

Have just done the bulb exchange for now to see if the problem follows the bulb. Will know more in a few days. And yes, it’s the passenger side. I really hope it’s not something else you mentioned. Will check the fuse and connectors also after your advice

2 minutes ago, Xander said:

Have just done the bulb exchange for now to see if the problem follows the bulb. Will know more in a few days. And yes, it’s the passenger side. I really hope it’s not something else you mentioned. Will check the fuse and connectors also after your advice

The flickering is subtle, it took me several days of thinking I was imagining things, so I parked up with lights shining on a wall after a long drive at night, and yep, flickering.

I was worried it might be ballast, which is a little more expensive to replace!

6 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

The flickering is subtle, it took me several days of thinking I was imagining things, so I parked up with lights shining on a wall after a long drive at night, and yep, flickering.

I was worried it might be ballast, which is a little more expensive to replace!

Yes subtle flickering too. Thought it was just my eyes playing with me until after I parked closely behind a car at night in a really dark road that I could see it clearly flickering.

Really hope it isn’t the ballast. Don’t really want to be spending a lot of money on it, with everything else cleaning me out right now.

Thanks so much again.

51 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

My bulbs got to the point where they would flash, it took me a while to notice, and it would not happen for about 20mins, the D4S HID bulbs were knackered, cost less than £20 on amazon to get replacement bulbs, wear gloves changing them, as any contaminant from fingers will kill the bulbs.

After replacing them, it may take several/10s of hours of burn in for them to reach their maximum illumination, after which they are set.

Do you by any chance still have the link for the ones you bought on amazon?

1 hour ago, Xander said:

Do you by any chance still have the link for the ones you bought on amazon?

Bought on my wifes amazon account (she had Prime, so was next day delivery for free)

I believe it was these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sinoparcel-D4S-HID-Bulb-Replacement/dp/B07K33QCGJ

They were about £18 when I bought them, but inflation I guess!.

I will ask Wife to check tomorrow, when she is awake

8 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

Bought on my wifes amazon account (she had Prime, so was next day delivery for free)

I believe it was these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sinoparcel-D4S-HID-Bulb-Replacement/dp/B07K33QCGJ

They were about £18 when I bought them, but inflation I guess!.

I will ask Wife to check tomorrow, when she is awake

Thank you, i have that saved in my basket too.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:12 PM, Chris.ac said:

they would go out after a few minutes, I did change the bulbs and problem solved. 

• 11 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 1:24 PM, jamesmc said:

Hi

We just bought a 2006 Alphard, a fantastic fun. The only issue is that all the written instructions on the Head Unit are all in Japanese not English.  Is there anyway that all the instruction can be set in English? Thanks in advance

On 11/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, Becky1 said:

Driving at night and my headlights went dim and cut out, has anyone else had this problem?

I have the same problem.. did you sort out this problem 

Hi

What I did was to get "Google Translate App" for my iphone. Once installed tap the Google Translate App it opens the app. Point your phone at the text you want to translate.Take a photo of words/text to translate. You get the translated text send it to "Translate Home" there will be a paste button. Press this and the translated text will appear. It's good for short text/single words. I wrote down the words and pasted them over the Japanese script

Not 100% accurate but good enough.

Hope that this help