Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

NHDT-W57 and DVDs

Morning all,

I have had my Alphard since May and have had a lot of enjoyment driving it :D

I was offered the option to change the head unit, which is the NHDT-W57, when I brought the Alphard, but as everything was working, including the repeater screen and the remote control for it, elected to keep the unit and brought a Garmin DriveSmart 61 voice command Sat Nav for navigation and hands free operation.

As i found out quickly, the DVD player works fine with UK region DVDs, so decided to create my own. I have a load of pop music videos, so went to burn my own. I found that the DVD burner programs i had would not create a DVD that the Head Unit would recognise.

I eventually found a program called DVD Styler, a free, Opensource  program ( https://www.fosshub.com/DVDStyler.html ) that does the job just fine and have burnt many DVDs for use in the Alphard.

Hope this helps anyone in the same boat.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveKitt52 said:

Morning all,

I have had my Alphard since May and have had a lot of enjoyment driving it :D

I was offered the option to change the head unit, which is the NHDT-W57, when I brought the Alphard, but as everything was working, including the repeater screen and the remote control for it, elected to keep the unit and brought a Garmin DriveSmart 61 voice command Sat Nav for navigation and hands free operation.

As i found out quickly, the DVD player works fine with UK region DVDs, so decided to create my own. I have a load of pop music videos, so went to burn my own. I found that the DVD burner programs i had would not create a DVD that the Head Unit would recognise.

I eventually found a program called DVD Styler, a free, Opensource  program ( https://www.fosshub.com/DVDStyler.html ) that does the job just fine and have burnt many DVDs for use in the Alphard.

Hope this helps anyone in the same boat.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Welcome to this Forum and thanks for the tip.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Alfies

So far, so good. Keeping the NHDT W57 head unit, which came with a 2007 plate, has turned out to be a good decision.

There is enough English info, to work out how to use much of it.

And I've installed a plug-in Pure 200 D.A.B. radio, into the front cigarette lighter, and connected it into the Alphards sound system, via the 3.5 plug.

And it works great.

I live in Portsmouth and travel to Southampton everyday. And the only problem I have is the newish, air traffic control centre based at Swanwick, which blocks all radio signals. This centre guided in Donald Trump in Airforce 1, for D-Day celebrations. So it's not what would usually exist elsewhere.

So I can't comment on reception elsewhere.

What I do know is that digital radio, while great where it works, with a good signal, can be useless with a weak signal.