Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Disaster!

Wife was hit by a speeding Ford Puma. Our lovely Alphard we took delivery of in January this year has now been recovered and I fear it will be written off. 

Has anyone been able to get their Alphard repaired with similar or worse damage? I have looked on the EPC website and confirmed parts are available from Japan, anyone managed to get spares from Japan at all?

Gutted.

31A986D7-BCC2-4EA2-B855-E18DF1554D54.jpeg

Really sorry to see this happen to you . you will be able to get most parts through your local toyota dealer if I was you get a price for all the parts then tell your insurance company they won't write it off if you want tell me what parts you want and your vin number I will give you all the correct part no.s to give toyota . 

Hello Phil,

Firstly, let me say, we are all sorry to see your predicament; and we hope you wife suffered no injuries other than shock.

Hopefully you have Comprehensive Insurance, even if the perpetrator is found.

I agree with Picasso, try to resist all attempts by any insurance company to write Alphie off.

My priority would be to find a friendly competent mechanic to assess the damage and repairability.

First call is your closest Alphard Dealer. Then you can plan your actions.

A similar event occurred with my wife, albeit not in our Alphie.

We resisted the 'write off' vigorously, and received a payment, less £100, to keep the car and have it repaired at our expense.

Admittedly, it was only a smashed in door.

We had the door panel pulled out. Cost was zero ! Everything works as it should. Not pretty anymore but wholly functional and safe.

We have been driving her even since, and she waltzes through the MOT each year.

So, what ? Try not be too disheartened. You have more options than are immediately apparent.

There was a downside though, and I mention this for full disclosure.

The car is now classed as a Category, I know not which; but my insurance company is happy to insurance (at almost zero value) and the car is fully legal.

Looking at the photo again, I see quite a lot of superficial damage; but get those wings off and hopefully you will get a surprise full of relief.

We drive it every day. So ?

BEFORE the car is written off, just be sure you ask the right questions and get the lowest category you can.

Very best wishes for you, your wife, and your Alphie.

Thank you for your advice and kind comments. Wife is ok, thanks, just understandably upset as we were looking forward to our first trip across France and Spain next month prior to the conversion being completed in July. (Deposit paid :()

I will contact my local Toyota dealer and see if they can help. Having checked with the EPC website a new painted bumper is £642 and a front fender is £224 plus shipping so not too expensive. 

Kind regards

16 minutes ago, Phil59 said:

Thank you for your advice and kind comments. Wife is ok, thanks, just understandably upset as we were looking forward to our first trip across France and Spain next month prior to the conversion being completed in July. (Deposit paid :()

I will contact my local Toyota dealer and see if they can help. Having checked with the EPC website a new painted bumper is £642 and a front fender is £224 plus shipping so not too expensive. 

Kind regards

Take it, if you can, to Snows. Or maybe get them to visit the van.

My guess is, they will repair it for you if there is no serious structural damage in the suspension area.

Silly question. Is it driveable ?

Hi Rojie

Not really, the wing is bent down onto the plastic wheel surround and whilst it could be driven onto the low loader it was rubbing against the wheel. I tried to pull it out but no joy.

I will enquire with Snows to see if they can repair it.

Thanks for the advice.

Several Alphard’s breaking on eBay , you might need to pay for a sprayer to get a colour match, but if no major structural damage then eminently repairable and the other party’s insurance company should pay for all of that. Ditto if new items need to be imported then presumably the other driver’s insurance will pay for that so perhaps not stress too much over the cost. If the future value of the vehicle is affected then you can claim for that loss too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just an update if anyone is interested. It’s a total loss sadly. Engineer stated that there is structural damage. 

We enjoyed our grade 4.5 A Alphard for a total of 8 weeks!  Now the search starts again.

Advance insurance have been very good and in my opinion, very reasonable with the settlement. 

Thinking about. Gen 2 3.5, any advice/ info would be appreciated.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Phil59 said:

Hi all

Just an update if anyone is interested. It’s a total loss sadly. Engineer stated that there is structural damage. 

We enjoyed our grade 4.5 A Alphard for a total of 8 weeks!  Now the search starts again.

Advance insurance have been very good and in my opinion, very reasonable with the settlement. 

Thinking about. Gen 2 3.5, any advice/ info would be appreciated.

So sorry this is the result.

Some structural damage can be repaired.

Insurance companies, understandably look at total cost, including hire cars, etc, if you are entitled to one.

Did you have Snows take a look.

Either way, you are faced with delays to your plans.

Please let us all know, and photos please, of when you get your 'new' van.

• 1 year later...

I was involved in an accident yesterday with my 2007 Alphard 3.0 (which I only purchased in Dec 2023). After reporting the accident to Admiral Insurance. Without hesitation, they immediately insisted the vehicle be written off. I have fought back today and asked them to at least have a body shop look at it.

Damage that I could see: Front bumper cracks, paintwork, and appear to be pushed in, where the grill and radiator/fan combo also pushed in towards the passenger side of the car, where one of the fans now hit where the 12V battery tray is. Bonnet now has a significant body line gap when closed.

From the conversation above, I am aware of the EPC site. But I am not very mechanically inclined. Does anyone know what damage could be done or what parts need to be ordered?

Does anyone know any body shops around London that could have a look at the damage and what needs to be done to avoid the car being written off? I'm based in South London. Thanks!

IMG_6389.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

IMG_6395.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg