Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Swapping 12v battery

Does anyone have a video of accessing and swapping the battery?  I have a genuine Toyota battery coming but can pull back the centre console, but how do I take the rest apart?

1 hour ago, Liz Coles said:

Does anyone have a video of accessing and swapping the battery?  I have a genuine Toyota battery coming but can pull back the centre console, but how do I take the rest apart?

Hello Liz,

Are we talking leisure battery here ?

Or do you have a Hybrid ?

Presumably you have ordered the same capacity, Amp per Hour (Ah); that the battery is the same physical size; and that the terminals are in the correct configuration.

The main battery will be under the bonnet in the engine bay.

If you are changing your Hybrid, there are some threads on here.

But I expect a member will be able to advise when they read your topic.

If you are changing your main battery is is quite easy, but they are heavy.

Let us know and we can tell you the correct order for disconnection and reconnection

Whichever battery you are changing; make sure you have all the correct spanners before you start !

Hi, 

I have atatched a couple of photos from the internet showing where the battery is located for a hybrid- you have to remove the rear curved shape cover which is accessed from behind the front seats- that is from the side door- it is very awkward and you have to push the centre seats well back. The cover clips off so use a special trim removing tool if you have one but it may come off by pulling on the "side bumps" on the cover- it's also a devil to get back on. You have to remove the vertical bar first and wiggle the battery out a bit to get to the terminal nuts- the battery is a very snug fit so make sure you have the right battery and must be a stop start type- an ordinary battery will likely fail after a while which is what happened to me- I did put a post on  a while ago which gave the battery I had to get (for a 2005 E4). Don't forget to reset the door window switches - see Youtube - good luck

Alphard Hybrid 12v battery 2.jpg

Alphard Hybrid 12v battery.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, angiexlester said:

I am just about to replace my main battery in my petrol Alphard! If you could give me some basics I’d appreciate it :) thank you Roger 

Hello Angie,

Welcome to the Forum.

First thing to do is ensure (before ordering) your new battery that it has the terminals in the correct positions AND the correct polarity of those positions.

Otherwise, the leads won't reach, or worse   .....

Failure to do this will result in the 120A fuse blowing. Not good news.

Most batteries have different sized terminals for the connections; but mistakes do happen !

I can recommend Tanya Batteries, who provide an excellent mail order service.

They can specify which battery you have fitted in your van.

Next, the physical size needs to be correct, plus or minus a small amount.

You can make an approximate measurement while the 'old' battery is still in the van.

Next is the battery capacity in Amp per hours.

You need the same or slightly larger than you already have. 65 A/hr, probably

Then you need to check the CCA, the Cold Cranking Amps. This is the ability to start a cold engine

Again you need the same, or slightly larger than you already have.

Ignition must be OFF.

When changing your battery, disconnect the negative first, positive second.

Reconnect in the reverse order, positive then negative.

Don't be surprised if there is a small spark as not all circuits are switched off by the ignition.

And, finally, you will probably need to reset your electric windows and maybe the moon roof, if you have one.

Halfords or Kwik Fit should be able to do all this for you, or any reasonable mechanic.

Just take care and all will be quite straightforward.

Good Luck

3 hours ago, angiexlester said:

This is what I have currently so have just purchased the same one. Thanks for that brilliant reply Roger - I’ll be fitting this afternoon. Really appreciate the help 

IMG_4823.png

I am hoping other members with 2.4 Litre engines will advise on what capacity batteries they have fitted.

At 45 A/hr and 330 CCA, this battery may be a little too small, capacity wise, during the winter months.

Be sure to keep it fully charged; with additional charging from a smart charger if you only make short journeys.

Why are you replacing the battery ?

Thanks - it’s all done and windows reset 👍.

The battery has run so flat 3 times over the last 6 years and the AA said they won’t home start it again without knowing it was a new battery. When they’ve attached their batterie tester they said it was beyond salvage, We’d been away for two weeks and even a starter pack wouldn’t get it going so decided to just bite the bullet and get a new one. If it happens again I’ll look at a larger amp one, this battery came with the van when we bought it so just assumed it was the correct one! It is linked to the leisure battery. Don’t know if that has an impact? 

17 hours ago, angiexlester said:

Thanks - it’s all done and windows reset 👍.

The battery has run so flat 3 times over the last 6 years and the AA said they won’t home start it again without knowing it was a new battery. When they’ve attached their batterie tester they said it was beyond salvage, We’d been away for two weeks and even a starter pack wouldn’t get it going so decided to just bite the bullet and get a new one. If it happens again I’ll look at a larger amp one, this battery came with the van when we bought it so just assumed it was the correct one! It is linked to the leisure battery. Don’t know if that has an impact? 

Sounds like it was time for a new battery.

If you leisure battery is charging, and retaining its charge; all seems as it should be.

Batteries do not respond well to being heavily discharged.