Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

2 hours ago, charliec said:

Hey guys, im looking to lower my alphie, but i am unsure on what suspension/coilovers to get. Maybe some bags?? 

If anyone knows a company let me know

Hi again Charlie,

NOT cheap.

I suggest you send a PM to picasso.

• 1 month later...
Just now, ThuMentaliss said:

I should'nt if I were you, mine's lowered 50mm  always bottoms out with pot holes and also loss of suspension rate if you have converted it to a campervan

(no its a 3.0ltr remapped)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 4:20 PM, charliec said:

Hey guys, im looking to lower my alphie, but i am unsure on what suspension/coilovers to get. Maybe some bags?? 

If anyone knows a company let me know

I have just replaced the original Tein coilovers on my 2007 3.0 with latest version, as one of the shocks snapped. It was not cheap at all, as I had to replace various other suspension bits as well including the rear axle beam bushes, which is a big job. But Tein seems to be the way to go. I was recommended to have the rear suspension higher than the front, which I think means I am maxed out on ride height. I don;t like the rake so much from a visual perspective, but speed bumps are fine and I can still get in car parks with max 2m height restrictions.

On 7/5/2022 at 10:33 AM, ThuMentaliss said:

(no its a 3.0ltr remapped)

Where did you get the remap done if you don;t mind? And what bhp are you now running?

30 minutes ago, HB2K said:

Where did you get the remap done if you don;t mind? And what bhp are you now running?

I didnt, vehicle came from jAPAN AS A REMAP  (without any official paper work to confirm the remap power change)  the 3.0ltr engine in these models originated from the old sports car toyota marketed sorry cant remember which model that was however I would have though 260+ would be possible but from my experience I dont believe the vehicle in standard form is up to increasing the BHP dont forget this vehicle was designed as a luxury people carrier which would require higher torgue with a small increase in BHP

16 hours ago, HB2K said:

I have just replaced the original Tein coilovers on my 2007 3.0 with latest version, as one of the shocks snapped. It was not cheap at all, as I had to replace various other suspension bits as well including the rear axle beam bushes, which is a big job. But Tein seems to be the way to go. I was recommended to have the rear suspension higher than the front, which I think means I am maxed out on ride height. I don;t like the rake so much from a visual perspective, but speed bumps are fine and I can still get in car parks with max 2m height restrictions.

Interesting info,  when i contacted Tein (not a independant dealer) they advised me due to my alphard being lowered by 50mm that they would not recommend their kit, they pointed out that their coilovers (as most are) designed to lower the vehicle ride height, even with the 'flex' system at max height adjustment my measurement's indicated the vehicles ride height would still be too low,  indication of this is the vehicle bottoms out when hitting a pot hole of more than 3" deep  .....hence i need to change the struts bump stops but this will not long term cure the problem only a complete change of springs possible struts etc that is if you can find a parts supplier whos not trying to sell you rip off Chinese look -a- likes

23 hours ago, ThuMentaliss said:

Interesting info,  when i contacted Tein (not a independant dealer) they advised me due to my alphard being lowered by 50mm that they would not recommend their kit, they pointed out that their coilovers (as most are) designed to lower the vehicle ride height, even with the 'flex' system at max height adjustment my measurement's indicated the vehicles ride height would still be too low,  indication of this is the vehicle bottoms out when hitting a pot hole of more than 3" deep  .....hence i need to change the struts bump stops but this will not long term cure the problem only a complete change of springs possible struts etc that is if you can find a parts supplier whos not trying to sell you rip off Chinese look -a- likes

How is your Alphard already lowered if you don't have a lowering kit on it? BTW, I also have an electronic adjustable damping system - there's a big difference between the firmest and softest settings. Softest makes my daughter car sick, firmest means potholes / speedbumps etc become a big problem with the front bumper constantly bottoming out. So I keep on a middle setting!😎

Great stuff but electronic adjustable system's are very expensive to put right when they go wrong but Hea! enjoy what you have

Not sure why you think you need a kit to lower the ride height of your vehicle

I have personally lowered seven cars in my youth you dont need a lowering kit cheapest way is just buy lowered suspension springs+ changing the strut top bearing and spring saddles.

• 2 months later...

hi 

i am doing opposite . Want to change back to normal.  One front spring just broken. Had to get new front shockers with spring from breakers  etc . Looking for 4 springs if anyone knows where to get some cheap. Not sure if i have to change the rear shockers as well or anything else.  Or if i can just leave the current rear  shockers/springs on 

2 hours ago, john murray said:

hi 

i am doing opposite . Want to change back to normal.  One front spring just broken. Had to get new front shockers with spring from breakers  etc . Looking for 4 springs if anyone knows where to get some cheap. Not sure if i have to change the rear shockers as well or anything else.  Or if i can just leave the current rear  shockers/springs on 

why did you have to change front struts?

not sure what struts are, but had trouble obtaining correct  front springs that would fit onto existing fron legs , or whatever they called. .   

I was  given 2  front orange springs when i bought  van from private seller). he had replaced rear springs as 1 had broken.   these  didn't fit on front ( maybe the struts different ? ).  I was advised this was because the suspension  been lowered. (  by 2 different garages). They showed me underneath the  Alphard so i could see difference in springs. 

So bought  the whole assembly for front as I said ( 2 of everything for £175.00) .  Buying it all separately would have been more expensive. I.E shockers and other 3/4 bits needed including shockers.   

These are due to be fitted  tomorrow by garage .   Not sure what  else i  may need apart from normal springs to put suspension back to its normal height. I am confused by the  concept of lowered suspension etc.

But from  advice i have had from alphard dealer they would recommend not lowering suspension     or buying van thats  been lowered.

IO wish i had known this before buying.

13 hours ago, Picasso said:

I had my aphard put back to standard height 11 months ago with all brand new parts £1200 + £300 labour 

Interestly were you informed as to where the parts were sourced from, reason I'm  asking is that most of parts offered say by Ebay and private sellers are of Chinese origin meaning a parts warranty would be difficult to implement secondly at the time of your decision to put your vehicle back to standard ride height did you have a current MOT cert'  reason which comes back to my query previously to you as why did you need to change the front struts (shock absorbers)

thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, ThuMentaliss said:

Interestly were you informed as to where the parts were sourced from, reason I'm  asking is that most of parts offered say by Ebay and private sellers are of Chinese origin meaning a parts warranty would be difficult to implement secondly at the time of your decision to put your vehicle back to standard ride height did you have a current MOT cert'  reason which comes back to my query previously to you as why did you need to change the front struts (shock absorbers)

thanks for your input.

my alphard when i bought it had a mot on it .reason for putting back to standard was mainly because of speed bumps and pot holes the vehicle was far to low for our roads

55 minutes ago, john murray said:

£1500 that's scary. can i ask how much it was for just the rear parts and what you needed for rear

i needed rear shocks springs and spring mounts total cost of parts all new was £380.00

1 hour ago, ThuMentaliss said:

thanks for your input.

55 minutes ago, Picasso said:

my alphard when i bought it had a mot on it .reason for putting back to standard was mainly because of speed bumps and pot holes the vehicle was far to low for our roads

any idea hpw much it would be to convert speedo KM per hour to MPH as speedo showing KMH

1 hour ago, Picasso said:

Ok, so it didnt need front struts then because any movement within the strut piston or elsewhere should be a failure and new struts would have already been fitted before you purchased the car.  Yes I agree, my Alphard does the same regarding our lovely pot-hole roads, I will change the front and rear coil springs, top bearings, bump stops, two drop links, rear spring saddles there's no movement from the front strut pistons and they have recently passed the Mot requirements

Edited by ThuMentaliss
spelling