Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Day running lights ?

10 hours ago, Nutty slack said:

Has anyone put day running lights on ? If so what and how ?

Cheers

Hi Nutty,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have them on mine, but I didn't fit them so I cannot help you there, sorry.

I looked at installing DRL's, but to be honest I just leave the side lights switched on. They switch off when you get out of the car and just switch on when you restart. This way you have front and rear lights when driving. I did fit some really bright LED bulbs in the front side lights though.

The only disadvantage I find is that if you park and switch off, the side lights stay on until the drivers door is opened and closed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jellybean said:

I looked at installing DRL's, but to be honest I just leave the side lights switched on. They switch off when you get out of the car and just switch on when you restart. This way you have front and rear lights when driving. I did fit some really bright LED bulbs in the front side lights though.

The only disadvantage I find is that if you park and switch off, the side lights stay on until the drivers door is opened and closed.

Thankyou for sharing the tip about use of side lights 

Do you mind sharing the LEDs bulb you used for side lights?

I suppose Gen 2 Alphard Vellfire have all led bulbs in front and back by default? Anyone?

I personally had led DRLs installed in couple of other old cars and had even switch to turn them off if I wanted. Those lights are so Bright and working flawless after 7 years. Needed wiring and switches but are great.

32 minutes ago, Teekay said:

Thankyou for sharing the tip about use of side lights 

Do you mind sharing the LEDs bulb you used for side lights?

I suppose Gen 2 Alphard Vellfire have all led bulbs in front and back by default? Anyone?

I personally had led DRLs installed in couple of other old cars and had even switch to turn them off if I wanted. Those lights are so Bright and working flawless after 7 years. Needed wiring and switches but are great.

My Vellfire is not all LED.

Front Side lights are W5W /  T10 type. I fitted these below. 10smd type.

Screenshot_20220630-153048_eBay.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just a quick word of caution.

I bought some LED side lights for my Gen 1 facelift, to replace the blue lights fitted which I didn't like.

There are so many to choose from.

The ones I bought were Canbus types and did fit, JUST.

They were quite loose in the holder. I was worried one could jiggle free.

If they ever fall out inside the glass, oh boy, what fun.

I didn't think I would ever get them out.

So, Please be careful what you fit.

Make sure they are a robust fit, and are well seated.

Strangely, the ones I fitted appear blue, until you turn them on when they appear a very bright white.

Please don't ask what I fitted, I have no idea now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jellybean said:

My Vellfire is not all LED.

Front Side lights are W5W /  T10 type. I fitted these below. 10smd type.

Screenshot_20220630-153048_eBay.jpg

Thankyou for confirming this. It is minefield to find right bulb otherwise.

I can see many from AUXITO and ARGO on eBay like below 

AUXITO T10 501 W5W 13SMD LED SideLight Bulb Canbus Error Free 6500K Super Bright

Would like up find some make similar in reputation like Philips Sony Panasonic etc so don't need to think twice about quality but I'm afraid most of these led these days tend to be like these unheard names. May be my ignorance. Any knows which make are good leds?

I'm surprised Vellfires don't have led front side lights. But thankfully this might be easy fix. Also DRLs might be worthy update.. They do help on fast moving high traffic 

36 minutes ago, Nutty slack said:

Thank you guys for the information I always thought it was going to be a bit tricky but by adding DRL looks to show the Alphard off properly in my opinion

Thank you

Not only for aesthetics, DRL have great  utility IMHO. When drl concept arrived, I thought it was wasteful and stupid but with modern led - bullet proof and long life, it is a no brainer. I'll check the make of drl I had bought if I can find receipt. It has been excellent so far 

https://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng-5678-High-Quality-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-5-LED-CREE-HQ-V6.html

I think I have these - as these are CREE,  I think quality was best. Also pic below is from eBay. I think I'll go for these.. May be slightly longer strip if possible. But 100 percent has to be CREE 

2FEB8A41-64C9-45BB-9432-B55E09CF9388.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Nutty slack said:

Hi Teekay totally agree and thank you so much for the post that is brilliant, I'm going to get the DRL as you recommend, cheers

Glad it helps you 👍
Please also look at the option below. These are individual bulbs and we can get 10 on each side? Can these be fitted as part of the bumper? Last time I bought my led drl, I had exchanged messages with this seller and they were brilliant. By eBay standards I think they are proper sellers. These lift as below have "High Quality DRL Multi Shape Daytime Running Lights 10-LED CREE HQ-V20 D" the last bit v20 a b c d, not sure what the difference is. If anyone finds out please share. I'll try to mail / call them at some point. Individually fitted drl bulb can be effort but will look great. One from previous post are easy. 

Please note it's lighting / wiring will need to be done in a way the it connects to headlight wire. Moment you turn headlight on it turns drl off. I might be stating the obvious. Also I fitted a switch for drl, so I can turn it off if I wanted. In nighttime you might be parked somewhere and not need DRLs blasting pure white light 

263A6626-2F05-47C0-BC30-E6714A33502C.jpeg

16 hours ago, Teekay said:

Thankyou for confirming this. It is minefield to find right bulb otherwise.

I can see many from AUXITO and ARGO on eBay like below 

AUXITO T10 501 W5W 13SMD LED SideLight Bulb Canbus Error Free 6500K Super Bright

Would like up find some make similar in reputation like Philips Sony Panasonic etc so don't need to think twice about quality but I'm afraid most of these led these days tend to be like these unheard names. May be my ignorance. Any knows which make are good leds?

Auxito are good quality but don't bother with Argos. Was disappointed with Argos items.

2 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

Auxito are good quality but don't bother with Argos. Was disappointed with Argos items.

CREE are best led AFAIK. If i can find that make, I might change all bulbs I can in my van 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/25/2022 at 3:01 AM, Philllx said:

I've recently had these delivered from aliExpress, not fitted yet, look good when tested need linking to the side lamps so they switch off when side lights are on. They replace the front indicator bulbs.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001862616965.html

Hi, did you fit these switchback turn signal/drl bulbs?

Looking at doing the exact same thing!

Current waiting for my 2009 350g L alphard to arrive in Canada, and the car needs DRL to be registered and insured.

Thanks 

6 hours ago, harley said:

Current waiting for my 2009 350g L alphard to arrive in Canada, and the car needs DRL to be registered and insured.

Thanks 

Hi, also really interested in getting these! for those who have installed, are they easy to install? Is it a matter of taking one bulb out and replacing, or is there allot of rewiring involved and panel removing? Really appreciate any feedback, thank you 🙂

On 2/25/2024 at 12:07 PM, harley said:

No not fitted yet, there still in the box.... I have replaced the fog lamp bulbs and at the moment just use them with the side lights during the day.

Edited by Philllx