Jump to content

V5C Classification


Recommended Posts

Hello

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but before my time. I have purchased a 2006 Alphard 3.0 V6 converted camper. It is a rear conversion. The V5C still has the vehicle classified as an 8 seater MPV. Not sure why 8 seater as it only had 7 seats. With the conversion, it is now a 5 seater (although the double middle row seat has now been removed to accommodate two dogs, meaning it is now a 3 seater). My question is whether the V5C should show the vehicle as a 5 seater MPV, or a 5 seater campervan? My research would seem to lean towards it still being an MPV, but thought I would get the views of the Forum.

Thank you.

Nick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nick C. said:

Hello

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but before my time. I have purchased a 2006 Alphard 3.0 V6 converted camper. It is a rear conversion. The V5C still has the vehicle classified as an 8 seater MPV. Not sure why 8 seater as it only had 7 seats. With the conversion, it is now a 5 seater (although the double middle row seat has now been removed to accommodate two dogs, meaning it is now a 3 seater). My question is whether the V5C should show the vehicle as a 5 seater MPV, or a 5 seater campervan? My research would seem to lean towards it still being an MPV, but thought I would get the views of the Forum.

Thank you.

Nick

 

Hello Nick,

 

I think you will find DVLA do regard the vehicle as an MPV; irrespective od how many seats you have.

 

I have heard that it has become very difficult to get DVLA to reclassify (any) vehicles.

About a  5 percent success rate.

 

I believe most replies will confirm the owners vehicle as MPV.

Mine is; and it's the same year and engine as yours.

 

The seats is an interesting issue.

 

The large rear seats are 3 seaters !

If you have two single seats in the middle; you have a 7 seater.

If you have (had) the 1 and a half seats plus 1, in the middle, you have an eight seater.

You can also tell by the rear seat rails. 7 seaters have one less rail; as the middle and rear seats share all the same rails.

 

If in doubt. send me your model number (I don't need the VIN). MNH10W xxxxxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Rojie

 

Thank you for your reply. You have been very helpful.

 

I am a little confused by the seat configuration as it seems to be the opposite of what you have said. When I purchased the vehicle, it had already been converted to a camper. The rear seats had already been removed. I have those rear seats and have attached a photo. I have also attached a photo of the middle row seats before I removed the larger one. The configuration seems to have been three seats in the middle and two at the back. Or am I missing something?

 

Incidentally, I will be selling the rear seats if anyone is interested. Not sure of the right price yet though. Any advice?

 

My MNH number is as follows: MNH10-00xxxxx.

 

Thank you.

 

IMG-20220526-WA0007.jpg.0323817de12b72394bfdffa609307272.jpgIMG_20220625_123444876.thumb.jpg.05c84498bfd7ba2002845f8c8e3d8b38.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 1:04 AM, Nick C. said:

Hello Rojie

 

Thank you for your reply. You have been very helpful.

 

I am a little confused by the seat configuration as it seems to be the opposite of what you have said. When I purchased the vehicle, it had already been converted to a camper. The rear seats had already been removed. I have those rear seats and have attached a photo. I have also attached a photo of the middle row seats before I removed the larger one. The configuration seems to have been three seats in the middle and two at the back. Or am I missing something?

 

Incidentally, I will be selling the rear seats if anyone is interested. Not sure of the right price yet though. Any advice?

 

My MNH number is as follows: MNH10-0087372

 

Thank you.

 

IMG-20220526-WA0007.jpg.0323817de12b72394bfdffa609307272.jpgIMG_20220625_123444876.thumb.jpg.05c84498bfd7ba2002845f8c8e3d8b38.jpg

 

Hhhmmm ! Looks like a I made a mistake here.

 

Your middle seats are definitely the one and a half plus one.

You can see that the seat rails are unevenly spaced. They are evenly paced when the middle (two) seats are of the Captain variety and all four seats run on the same four seat rails.

Clearly the one swivels, so the one and a half probably does too.

 

I have removed your VIN number.

I should have asked for the Alpha string eg. ABCDE); not the numeric one !  Sorry.

Usually begins with a P.

 

I still have me rear seats so I'll look into this some more, and come back to you.

 

Did your rear seats fold up sideways to create a large loading area ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rojie said:

 

Hhhmmm ! Looks like a I made a mistake here.

 

Your middle seats are definitely the one and a half plus one.

You can see that the seat rails are unevenly spaced. They are evenly paced when the middle (two) seaters are of the Captain variety and all four seats run on the same four seat rails.

Clearly the one swivels, so the one and a half probably does too.

 

I have removed your VIN number.

I should have asked for the Alpha string eg. ABCDE); not the numeric one !  Sorry.

Usually begins with a P.

 

I still have me rear seats so I'll look into this some more, and come back to you.

 

Did your rear seats fold up sideways to create a large loading area ?

 

Looking at this again, in less of a hurry, and you do appear to have a 2 3 2 configuration.

 

There isn't much demand for rear seats as whatever conversion is made, side or rear, they usually fall victim !

Most go to the recycling centre or motor dismantler.

 

I think Alphard Club did a topic on seat configurations. I'll try and find it.

 

Meanwhile, my curiosity aroused, I still would like to know you option string.

Mine is PFAQK  G.

 

Mine is listed as 7 seater. 2 Captains in front, 2 Captains in the middle and 2 huge luxurious full width ones in the rear !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This looks very much like your configuration.

 

This may have been Steve's personal van.

 

Whatever, it is noted as an eight seater; so there should be a lap belt somewhere for the third rear seat !

(Maybe not needed in Japan though).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you once again for all the information. Being a 2-3-2 configuration, I'd have thought mine was a 7 seater, however, based on what you have said, I shall look for another seatbelt. If there isnt one, should I presume mine to be a 7 seater?

 

Where do I find this Option String code?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Nick C. said:

Thank you once again for all the information. Being a 2-3-2 configuration, I'd have thought mine was a 7 seater, however, based on what you have said, I shall look for another seatbelt. If there isnt one, should I presume mine to be a 7 seater?

 

Where do I find this Option String code?

 

On the B pillar driver's side. Should be there with the VIN number.

 

Coming back to the original topic.

Your Insurance company needs to be aware of the conversion.

They won't really care how many seats. Under normal circumstances they are easily removable and replaceable anyway !

 

The MOT Inspector will though.

As I can't see any provision for a lap belt on those rear seats, my guess is they will assume they are for just two people.

 

I have a JPNZ manual, which will tell me how many seats yours had specified as OEM.

There is also, i believe, a decoding thread on here (somewhere), which does the same.

 

Should you ever need to use the ToyotaAlphardEPC.com, you will need the Alpha string, to get part numbers (should you need them).

 

Picasso has a way of looking at the spec of vans, by VIN number.

If he asks for your VIN, it's OK to let him have it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see this all the time when i make mats for these. I get customers saying they have a 7 seater when they really have an 8. The last row is a 3 seater. Not a 2 seater. I see so many people thinking this and even tell their insurance co. Any reason for an insurance co. to back out of a claim. If you have 3 seats in the middle then its an 8 seater. 

Please make sure you are properly insured for the correct amount of seats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nick C. said:

Thank you for all the information.

 

I found the number on the B pillar, but on the passenger side. The full number is: TA-MNH10W-PRASK-E

 

Another mistake of mine.

 

My answer should have said passenger side.

I think quicker than I can type !.

 

8 seat, MS model, according to my JPNZ Owners Handbook. (Highly recommended).

Not sure about the significance of the E suffix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.