Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Can I fit a Fiamma or Thule wind out awning to my Toyota Alphard 2005?

Hi All

Please can you help.

I keep seeing photos of Toyota Alphards (even with pop-up roofs) with Fiamma or Thule wind out awnings bolted to the camper van and I want to either fit one myself or get one fitted.

The issue I am having is that no one seems to know what brackets I can use or buy in order to secure it to the van.

Please can anyone help or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Neil

5 hours ago, Neil Prestwich said:

Hi All

Please can you help.

I keep seeing photos of Toyota Alphards (even with pop-up roofs) with Fiamma or Thule wind out awnings bolted to the camper van and I want to either fit one myself or get one fitted.

The issue I am having is that no one seems to know what brackets I can use or buy in order to secure it to the van.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Neil

hi Neil,

Welcome to the Forum.

I suggest you search Awnings here on the Forum.

Thank you for the tip, however all the awning conversations appear to be about inflatable or “drive away” awnings. I am looking for an awning that fits onto the the roof of the van that you can wind out. I have seen lots of photos of Aphards that have fixed awnings, but I still can’t find one. I have even called the companies who are showing the photos. One said that they make the brackets themselves and wouldn’t supply them, (that had a Fiamma 45S fitted). Fiamma directed me to a site, but they said they have been discontinued. It can’t be that difficult to find one surely???

sorry no such beast as neither Fiamma or thule currently make wind-outs for this vehicle, you can get brackets that allow a wind out to be fitted ajacent to a pop-up type roof but if you dont want a P&P roof you will become stuck (brackets)...I have been reserching this issue for nearly a year and have made some proto types but still faced with the problem of a sloping roof .

Hi Neil,

Our converter (Wellhouse) fitted a Thule Omnistor 4900 wind-out awning alongside the pop-top. Not sure if the brackets were standard or customised for the roof slope - you may be able to see from the photo.

Incidentally, I've taken to referring to it as a 'canopy' rather than awning, which more people now call the drive-away tent structure fixed to the side - can make a difference where campsites charge extra for awnings.....

In terms of use, we've found that extending it only part-way out is useful for shelter from rain when side door is open, and robust enough to hang wet gear etc., but fully extended it just needs more attention to manage flapping / pooling with water. Also, setting the rear leg slightly shorter than the front leg gives a rain run-off. Not had sufficient sun on a windless day yet to need it fully extended for shade! We can still dream...

Awning-canopy.jpg

• Like 1

Custom brackets are needed so this increases price considerably. Also where you can get it done. 

They dont do standard fitting kits like they do for more common vans so it means somewhere fabricating the parts and it seems they dont want to share these parts when they can charge more for installation, which is fair enough. I tried getting in contact with Fiamma of Italy but couldn't get past the UK suppliers who only import the parts and have no influence. 

good luck with it and please post how you get on for others. 

1 hour ago, Neil Prestwich said:

Many thanks for your message. I take it you don't fit or supply and fit these anymore?

1 hour ago, Neil Prestwich said:

Many thanks for your message. I take it you don't fit or supply and fit these anymore?

Just going off what I found since buying an Alphie a few months ago and researching it. 

On 7/6/2022 at 3:10 PM, Neil Prestwich said:

Hi All

Please can you help.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Neil

Neil, weve just picked ours up, had the Fiamma 45s fitted by HL Campers in Liverpool. There is a metal fabricator opposite his unit that made the brackets. Fits superb and christening next week.

He will get the awning, brackets and fit, paid £650

Speak with Graham at HL - 07525 800347, he will see you right, and fairly local to you.

Good luck

Good luck007525800347

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pritch said:

Neil, we've just picked ours up, had the Fiamma 45s fitted by HL Campers in Liverpool. There is a metal fabricator opposite his unit that made the brackets. Fits superb and christening next week.

He will get the awning, brackets and fit, paid £650

Speak with Graham at HL - 07525 800347, he will see you right, and fairly local to you.

Good luck

Good luck007525800347

Hi Pritch,

Please try and post some photos.

There are lots of members, including myself, considering fitting an awning.

• Like 1

Pretty good if you prefer a stand-up type fitting, this type of fitting has exsisted for quite a while now take a look at 'Northstars' conversion my issue is we dont all want pop-up roofs but would like a flat roof fitting awning which Fiamma and Thule have been manufacturing for several years........

1 hour ago, ThuMentaliss said:

Pretty good if you prefer a stand-up type fitting, this type of fitting has exsisted for quite a while now take a look at 'Northstars' conversion my issue is we dont all want pop-up roofs but would like a flat roof fitting awning which Fiamma and Thule have been manufacturing for several years........

Yes, I agree with this too.

I don't want to add any height to my van.

At present I can park in all my local car parks.

Add more than 5 cms (or so) and I won't be able to.

• 4 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 5:31 PM, Pritch said:

Photos that might explain...

291779310_476339677535632_4425631728644483519_n.jpg

292113893_4881237885315897_2765483920939768561_n.jpg

Hi, can you remember the name of the fabricator? I’m wondering if they will supply by mail order for fitting local to me as I’m nowhere near Liverpool.

• 1 month later...

HazieB - apologies in lateness of reply, only just seen this (been away).

If you speak with Graham at HL Campers - 07525 800347 he may be able to source/mail to you, thats who got mine sorted.

Good luck

• 1 year later...

Hello All

Brackets for a Fiamma roll out sun shade/ canopy for an Alphard can be ordered from see below it takes them about 4 weeks, I have just received mine yet to fit because of the rain. By the look of things they might need a tweek to make them fit snugly, at the moment this is your only option, these are the ones that Graham at HL Campers use.

Jeffrey Howard

JSH Fabrications

M. 07718994920

W. www.jshfabrications.co.uk