Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hybrid use

Hi. I'm looking to buy a hybrid Alphard so just trying to find out if its suitable. 

My wife travels 2 miles to work 3 times a week. Its 1 mile of 40mph and 1 mile of 30mph. Would a hybrid run off the battery for this trip?

We would use it at weekends for longer family outings. 

Thanks in advance 

Edited by Andyrsv

Hi Andy

You probably wont benefit for the first 2 miles as the car will still be warming up, meaning the engine will warm up before the hybrid kicks in. By that time your wife will be at work.

The hybrid is more beneficial around town than long runs. 

Another option is a 2.4 or 3.0 with LPG, even though the car still needs to warm up for 2 mins before LPG kicks in, when it does your fuel costs will be roughly 40% less. initial investment of LPG is approx £1200, however this will add slightly more value to the car and easier to sell later. LPG will benefit 100% of the time whereas hybrid was designed for city driving.

• 2 years later...

Update for anyone reading - i'm averaging 43.5mpg using a Hybrid 2.4 (06 plate) heavily loaded family of 4 trip driving around 60mph on motorways (15.5km/L)

Driving more locally with 7 - 8 passengers nearer 38 - 41mpg driving cautiously 

33 minutes ago, Goldstar said:

Update for anyone reading - i'm averaging 43.5mpg using a Hybrid 2.4 (06 plate) heavily loaded family of 4 trip driving around 60mph on motorways (15.5km/L)

Driving more locally with 7 - 8 passengers nearer 38 - 41mpg driving cautiously 

That’s interesting. I get nowhere near that with mine (see the MPG Megathread), more like 9km/l local and 13km/l motorway, but I do suspect I have some battery cells that need replacing.

The Gen2 Hybrid has an EV mode but it’s only designed to get you out of the drive and part way along the road without waking the neighbours. The engine always kicks in above 20mph and even then the battery only lasts for 100m or so down the road (again, possible battery issues).

Edited by arthurj

I only bought mine 3 weeks ago with recon batteries fitted. We've just clocked 3000km now whilst on vacation in Europe, been on a mission trying to learn to achieve economy noting the mileage planned & costs. 15.5L on outward journey from UK & 14.1L currently popping here n there for the last 1000 or so km's, but super smooth driving and i agree the battery doesn't add that much though i hardly add power uphill motorways, rather let the speed drop from say 60 - 50mph, but then charge the battery to 4 bars often down hill to create ready power. Have to check but sure i've used battery + fuel combined on occasion over 20mph. I usually seek to pull away on battery where available & slowly let speed build