Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Hi can anyone help i put my key in turn it everything lights up but wont start nothing no clicks or anything it happened the other day i sat and just kept turning eventually it started any ideas to the problem just went out this morning again it took about 5 turns of the key to fire up

Edited by robert jackson

2 hours ago, robert jackson said:

Hi can anyone help i put my key in turn it everything lights up but wont start nothing no clicks or anything it happened the other day i sat and just kept turning eventually it started any ideas to the problem just went out this morning again it took about 5 turns of the key to fire up

Hello Robert

Welcome to the Forum.

Probably your battery needs a really good charge

Winter is coming and we all need to ensure our batteries are fully charged.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, robert jackson said:

check battery cables and cables to starter motor

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, brennyb said:

check the key is the correct factory supplied key with the imobilizor in it - I have one just for door use only.

Unlikely to be the key as the engine eventually starts and runs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rojie said:

Hello Robert

Welcome to the Forum.

Hi how you've explained its not to clear your symptoms, if its not turning over at  all when you turn the key ,and it's not clicking its a flat battery, if it turns over after a few attempts its sounds like an electrical intermittent issue, if it turns over but is difficult to start when cold or when only been running 5mins turned off then it has problems starting again, if the latter, I had this issue intermittent very annoying, I can let you know how I corrected this if you contact me

when i put the key in everything on the dash lights up but when turn it for it to fire up nothing i went out saturday morning fired up first time but when i came back from the shops turned the key everything lit up but nothing when trying to start it it took about 3 or 4 minutes of turning the key to fire up 

12 hours ago, Mickw said:

Hi how you've explained its not to clear your symptoms, if its not turning over at  all when you turn the key ,and it's not clicking its a flat battery, if it turns over after a few attempts its sounds like an electrical intermittent issue, if it turns over but is difficult to start when cold or when only been running 5mins turned off then it has problems starting again, if the latter, I had this issue intermittent very annoying, I can let you know how I corrected this if you contact me

Please let us all know what your fix was for a stubborn starter.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:56 AM, Rojie said:

Hello Robert

Welcome to the Forum.

My penny's worth of contribution.   I had problems with my previous 3L Granvia until I changed the battery to one with higher CCA (Cold  Cranking Amp)..Did not even need to top up charge for 3 months of cold weather.  Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 6:50 AM, robert jackson said:

Hi. This has happened to me once or twice. I think it may be the switch on the gear selector.

If you press the release button next to the lever, slide it into Drive, then back to park and it should start ok.

On my Vellfire, the switch seems to stick sometimes. Mine has only done it twice though.

Possibly, before bought,they are sometimes stored in a yard, open to weather, and don't move for weeks on end. Could just be dirty contacts???

Good luck

John Harrison.Wallasey

Hi I've been asked to pass on how I fixed my bad starting on a 3.0 petrol 2003. It did turn over but sometimes took a lot of turning and would not tick over until I had a bit of heat into the engine, it was a gummed up valve which worked off the engine water temperature just under the throttle body,if sticking or slow to move you don't get correct air fuel mixture at start up so a cold engine thinks it's hot,remove air inlet plastic from airbox I think it's a cross head screw driver if memory serves,then on throttle body wear the flaps move when excellorator pressed just underneath there's a little square part with a pipe from engine ,remove this pipe it pulls off,unscrew cross head or Allen screws can't remember which from little square part,inside is a small like valve which turns about 90 degrees or maybe a bit more and should turn easily and hear it at its stops,put your finger over the hole underneath the little square that the pipe attached to then spray carb cleaner down the back of the throttle body at the bottom aiming it a small hole which let's air from the hole you have your finger over underneath to the place your spraying, give it a good spraying more the better ,wait a minute then turn the valve a few times then remove your finger from the hole underneath,have rag ready underneath to catch the dirty spay don't let it go into the pipe on your engine you don't want it in there it may take a few goes but it should move spin easily, the little box it's in is a kind of electrical magnet which makes the valve move when engine cold to hot,its attached to water in engine ,it has a slot in it that you can't see,it lets air through the slot when engine is cold it sends an electrical input to valve to make it spin allowing air from your engine kind a like a engine breather pipe to this valve allowing more air etc at cold start up ,it probably tells your ecu too to alter other stuff,but because it takes air from your engine which has vapour etc it gums up so need cleaning from time to time ,perhaps a bad design, found mine stank of fuel when it happened, unburnt fuel as probably over fuelling seems OK now no problems for the last 12 months hope this helps and not to confusing. 

• Like 1

Just experienced starting this morning after 4 days rain and not using Vellfire. Made worse by my testing appliances without starting engine.    Found the battery that came with the seller an Exide EB602 which gives 60AH /540CCA.  Looking up overseas Vellfire batteries - they seem to be recommending Varta S95/130D26L - 75AH/720A CCA.     Now I am keen on lookout for a 75AH/720CCA. meanwhile  frequent battery top up charging as I do short journeys.

35 minutes ago, Wai Ho said:

Just experienced starting this morning after 4 days rain and not using Vellfire. Made worse by my testing appliances without starting engine.    Found the battery that came with the seller an Exide EB602 which gives 60AH /540CCA.  Looking up overseas Vellfire batteries - they seem to be recommending Varta S95/130D26L - 75AH/720A CCA.     Now I am keen on lookout for a 75AH/720CCA. meanwhile  frequent battery top up charging as I do short journeys.

Try Tanya Batteries, they do mail order.

Very quick and exceptionally well packed.

Thank you Roger,   I am in no hurry at present.. I will try Tanya prices.  My local car parts  motor factors occassionally do good bargains and they are just a mile away. Last Granvia, I got a similar CCA battery at discounted price of £75.  Appreciate your recommendation.

2 hours ago, Wai Ho said:

Thank you Roger,   I am in no hurry at present.. I will try Tanya prices.  My local car parts  motor factors occassionally do good bargains and they are just a mile away. Last Granvia, I got a similar CCA battery at discounted price of £75.  Appreciate your recommendation.

Ideally, you want lead calcium type, high CCA, but correct size and terminal configuration.

18 hours ago, Rojie said:

Ideally, you want lead calcium type, high CCA, but correct size and terminal configuration.

Thank you for your advice. ...noted...   My Vellfire even though it has one of the lowest spec seem to draw current with proximity sensors curtesy led lights on all the time. Now I check the battery voltage between terminals to monitor the drop. 

23 hours ago, Wai Ho said:

Resolved the problem after fast charging for 3hrs.. So issue no longer exist with regular top up charging.