Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Vellfire 2008 - Rear Boot - Empty Compartment.. What is it for?

Hi Alan. 

According to the Vellfire 2008-2015 Owner's Manual, it is an accessory case or compartment

I stuff a box of latex gloves and a packet of cleaning wipes in there. 

On the 20series hybrid, the aux battery is stored here (on 10series it is at rear of centre console between front seats. 

I have first aid kit here, with ice scraper. 

I even believe there is an official Toyota tyre pump that can fit here. 

Thanks Lesz and Chris.ac - I am wondering if it is meant to have an AGM or GEL battery? (I didn't think Lithium would have been flavour of the month back in 2008.
Its only a small space, does it specify the brand or model of battery that was intended for that spot? and was it just a storage spot in case it was needed to jump start the car or was it wired up to the alternator for charging and did it serve any other purpose other than back up?
Any thoughts muchly appreciated!!

Edited by Alan Singer

According to the doc I have access to, it's a standard lead acid 12v battery, it due not need to be too large in capacity, as the petrol aspect of the engine is started via the HV battery pack

The 20 series uses the Synergy hybrid system as on the previa/estima, so it's imagine the same battery type. 

Battery looks like it has an angled case, with additional monitoring circuitry, there is also a breather tube. 

Given common looms, I imagine any 2012 alphard would have the power cables installed already, maybe not in the 2008-2011 models, which is a shame

16692153387152094399950514075917.jpg

2 hours ago, Alan Singer said:

Can anyone enlighten me as to the likely purpose of this compartment that features in these photos?

IMG-5458.jpg

Jump Leads in mine, as the Alphies have a habit of not starting unless the battery is in tip top charge.

Yeah, it’s where the 12V battery goes in my 20 Hybrid. It does run the lights and accessories and it primes the hybrid systems for first start, but it’s a regular lead-acid.

There isn’t that angled compartment lining in mine, it’s just a hole with a battery holder. Looks like you get a nice extra cubby!