Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Windscreen on Alphard smearing from wipers

Had a shock couple of days ago, early morning driving into the sun and suddenly the screen went opaque, could hardly see anything through it.

the smearing follows the wiper arcs.

Have tried cleaning with diluted white vinegar but no real improvement.

talking to a couple of windscreen replacement people, nobody wants to machine polish it and replacement quotes still awaited.

anyone had this problem ?

and who is best/cheapest to replace?

It sounds like something has got onto the wiper blades and smeared the screen but vinegar isn't the right solution for removal from the blades. White spirit on a cloth to clean the rubber could be worth a try and thoroughly clean the windscreen before trying the wipers again.

Sorry if it sounds obvious but have you cleaned the inside? I have this problem with my Alphard and Bongo. The inside gets traffic film that I find I have to use soapy water and a soft rubber window cleaning blade to remove. I just changed my wipers and tonight realised it was the film inside that was the problem!

if you find a cure please share it. Thanks 

• Like 1

Hi James, yes cleaned the inside too. The smearing or whatever follows the arc of the wipers so definitely external.

the blades were changed recently as advisories at MOT so looks like they may have been scrubbing away on the screen for a while

• Like 1

Hi, check the actual blades make sure the rubbers are OK and not some Mickey Mouse material. Also did you use the washers at the same time it could be the fluid needs changing. I would not use white spirit for cleaning glass ,the best is Methylated Spirit[Meths] as it evaporates quickly and does not damage paintwork or wiper blades.

• Like 1

Oh i didn't mean clean the glass with the white spirits just the blades to remove anything that had got on like grease. Meths is definitely the better option right enough 👍

My Alphard came from Singapore and has a 3M solar film on the inside of the glass, It does tend to look a bit misty.

Wondering if its likely to degrade over time and become slightly more opaque?

Hi have had this too on a few cars ,vinegar mixed with warm water should help with wipers,but if they won't clean a new pair is the only answer even if a new pair got mucky,sometimes certain greases are really stubborn, a mucky screen can wreck new wipers, use house hold window cleaner it's great for internal and external glass of any type, works fine for me,and maybe change that water if it's been in there a while, I get sun glare from the dash to windscreen can't see a thing at times if sun is low,so fitted a dash cover from ebay or amazon a while ago,it's a matt black material shaped for dash ,doesn't reflect sun so helps keep the temperature down too on hot days,works a treat for me,hope this helps,if it happend suddenly like you said it may even be the lamination in the windscreen that has failed,really shouldn'thappen, if it won't come clear with glass cleaner take it down to your local car windscreen replacement centre they'll give you an answere definitely, my wife works for a windscreen replacement company she says if it needs replacing it will need ordering,an import car probably won't be in stock anyway in uk new,so could take 6 weeks to come from Japan, pilkingtons glass I believe make replacement glass that supplies industry but probably not make this as an import,also your insurance may not cover this as it is a fault not a crack or chip ,so comes under ware n tair, hope this helps ,bit long n windy but trying to cover all. 

Edited by Mickw
  • Like 1

Hi if you can post some pictures it would be helpful as can only second guess on your description, is it scratches? Could you have only just noticed as sun was low ? 

• Like 1

Your problem is obvious the blades are not turning correctly in their movement cycle test them whilst they are working, stop them by turning ignition off see if the blade rubber has turned to the direction of travel

Useful comments all, thanks

only had the Alphie a short while, have had an exchange with the dealer about it and he also says to send him pics.

so, next day with early low sun I will be out there iphone at the ready.

contacted two Exeter windscreen companies yesterday re replacement but still waiting for quotes, they didn't exactly exude enthusiasm though presumably as imported

anyone know of a polisher in East Devon?

i think i need a professional opinion to make some headway with this, more time today to get on to it

• Like 1

Thanks Larry re blades but I haven't had to use them more than once or twice since getting the vehicle and not at all since my cleaning attempts

but will check them

btw, my description is a smearing/smudging which clearly follows the arcs of the wipers, in direct low winter sun the whole thing became so opaque that I had to stop

no scratches or chips etc

Tried cleaning with ordinary window cleaner and then diluted vinegar but no joy

3 hours ago, Mickw said:

Hi have had this too on a few cars ,vinegar mixed with warm water should help with wipers,but if they won't clean a new pair is the only answer even if a new pair got mucky,sometimes certain greases are really stubborn, a mucky screen can wreck new wipers, use house hold window cleaner it's great for internal and external glass of any type, works fine for me,and maybe change that water if it's been in there a while, I get sun glare from the dash to windscreen can't see a thing at times if sun is low,so fitted a dash cover from ebay or amazon a while ago,it's a matt black material shaped for dash ,doesn't reflect sun so helps keep the temperature down too on hot days,works a treat for me,hope this helps,if it happend suddenly like you said it may even be the lamination in the windscreen that has failed,really shouldn'thappen, if it won't come clear with glass cleaner take it down to your local car windscreen replacement centre they'll give you an answere definitely, my wife works for a windscreen replacement company she says if it needs replacing it will need ordering,an import car probably won't be in stock anyway in uk new,so could take 6 weeks to come from Japan, pilkingtons glass I believe make replacement glass that supplies industry but probably not make this as an import,also your insurance may not cover this as it is a fault not a crack or chip ,so comes under ware n tair, hope this helps ,bit long n windy but trying to cover all. 

In the very hot summer kast year my dash top on my 2008 Vellfire started getting sticky so I bought a dash cover.....Brilliant!!! Stops the dash getting too hot and also stops glare....Recommended!!!

John Harrison. Wallasey. Merseyside.

Got mine from amazon site ,I cut the corners off near edge for blowers as a bit tight,few to choose from ,also ebay,they do help with glare and reduce heat in cab as they don't reflect the heat .also bought 2 bags of moisture absorbing chrystals ,like a silicone or something, anyway I have dogs and in the cold weather it gets water condensation from there breath on inside of windscreen, these bags really do help with absorbing moisture over night

Edited by Mickw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickw said:

Got mine from amazon site ,I cut the corners off near edge for blowers as a bit tight,few to choose from ,also ebay,they do help with glare and reduce heat in cab as they don't reflect the heat .also bought 2 bags of moisture absorbing chrystals ,like a silicone or something, anyway I have dogs and in the cold weather it gets water condensation from there breath on inside of windscreen, these bags really do help with absorbing moisture over night

I too use a dash mat, as I call it. Very effective.

I also use the moisture absorbing crystals, but keep them well away from the fake wood trim (and the dog).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update on my windscreen smearing issue.

i had the screen polished yesterday and that removed the wiper arc smears effectively.

now believe problem is fixed 

job done by Superglass, they have a local rep in Torbay, Andy, helpful chap

note what others say about dash mats, will investigate

what a helpful lot you are on here!

• Like 1

Supply of dash covers for a 2005 model seems limited, plenty post 2008

amazon have one by Frigenn, obviously Chinese

has anyone bought one of these, made of flannel, see quote below, does it fit and stay there?

• "Easy to install, the bottom is made of non-slip silicone particles, just put it directly on your dashboard, it will not damage the car, leave any residue, and will not move during driving."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FRIGENN-Dashboard-Toyota-Alphard-Vellfire/dp/B09WDLT5MD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1CX3774DWUXTA&keywords=FRIGENN+dashboard&qid=1678898076&sprefix=frigenn+dashboard+%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-2

whilst I'm on here, anyone suggest what the black add on item just below and to the left of the gear change is for, see pic

looks like a camera lens

238FCFA1-40CB-482B-8137-169BAB47E144.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gareth said:

Supply of dash covers for a 2005 model seems limited, plenty post 2008

amazon have one by Frigenn, obviously Chinese

has anyone bought one of these, made of flannel, see quote below, does it fit and stay there?

• "Easy to install, the bottom is made of non-slip silicone particles, just put it directly on your dashboard, it will not damage the car, leave any residue, and will not move during driving."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FRIGENN-Dashboard-Toyota-Alphard-Vellfire/dp/B09WDLT5MD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1CX3774DWUXTA&keywords=FRIGENN+dashboard&qid=1678898076&sprefix=frigenn+dashboard+%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-2

whilst I'm on here, anyone suggest what the black add on item just below and to the left of the gear change is for, see pic

looks like a camera lens

238FCFA1-40CB-482B-8137-169BAB47E144.jpeg

I have a dash mat, as I call them.

Not necessarily this one though.

Works well, can be secured with Velcro pads.

As a guess, the black gadget looks like a microphone or an on / off switch for one of the many options many Japanese fit to their vehicles.

These gadgets get removed, usually, before auction.

I have three or four non functional gadgets.

I have left mine alone fearing removal damage to trim etc.

• Like 1

Thanks Roger

I'll report back should I find my own mystery 'gadget' has an use 

will give the dash mat option some more thought

Not finding "non-slip silicone particles" very reassuring

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Thanks Roger

I'll report back should I find my own mystery 'gadget' has an use 

will give the dash mat option some more thought

Not finding "non-slip silicone particles" very reassuring

I'll check mine, but I don't think it has a silicone base.

Mine is not secured but does stay put.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah I have this problem (slightly) on my AH10.

The old blades were past it so replaced with new Bosch Aerotwins, much better but there is still a small section of screen on the driver's side that doesn't clean properly, mostly as the wipers sweep back toward the park position.

Whilst it's clean, the people I bought it off have obviously let it sit for a while so will look to polish the glass lightly with some cleaner, possibly some light compound and see how it fairs then.