Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Strange battery outage!

2005 2.4 with rear conversion and leisure battery

This afternoon (16.35) I completed a short journey and noticed that my clock said 1:00 (having been showing the correct time earlier today). Passenger windows would not open from drivers door - so, it was as if I had disconnected the battery (which I hadn't!). I checked the battery terminals which were tight. Never had any battery problems before, always starts easily.

This left me mystified, and concerned that I might experience an issue when on our travels in Europe. Grateful for any thoughts / advice ......

Hi there, does your alphard still have it's original battery? Is it connected to a b2b or split charge? 

My original battery died after the first winter, there been a few chilly nights recently so probably doesn't help 

Hi Alex.  Not sure re the heritage of the battery, but it looks like a replacement.

I've had the van for 18 months with no problems. Strong starting, never gone flat. 

As for b2b / split charging, whoah - well out of my knowledge zone! See photo though ...

IMG_20230405_103952 (1).jpg

If the battery was fitted in japan then you need to change it, the vehicles sit around in the auction lots and on board the ship, a battery discharges as there are  ECUs and the radio memory that all take power,. once the voltage drops to 10.5volts the cells get damaged and are beyond recovery. You need to check that the alternator is working, with the engine running check the voltage at the battery it should be at least 13.5 volts.    P.S. Your pic shows the battery has at some time been upgraded to a 60Ah as the original factory fitted one was 45Ah. check the voltage with the engine off it should be a minimum of 12.1volts and running 13.5v to 14.5v. the vsr relay is there to charge the leisure battery once the starter battery is fully charged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dezufo said:

If the battery was fitted in japan then you need to change it, the vehicles sit around in the auction lots and on board the ship, a battery discharges as there are  ECUs and the radio memory that all take power,. once the voltage drops to 10.5volts the cells get damaged and are beyond recovery. You need to check that the alternator is working, with the engine running check the voltage at the battery it should be at least 13.5 volts.    P.S. Your pic shows the battery has at some time been upgraded to a 60Ah as the original factory fitted one was 45Ah. check the voltage with the engine off it should be a minimum of 12.1volts and running 13.5v to 14.5v. the vsr relay is there to charge the leisure battery once the starter battery is fully charged.

Hello Graeme,

Do you use the vehicle regularly?

I think it's time for a new battery, or a very good battery charger.

Get your battery tested, Halfords or Kwik Fit, under load.

I think yours is on its last legs.

As Pete says, there is constant current drain, so batteries must be charged regularly, by running or by a battery charger.

A normal (OK) battery will need at least 30 mins charging by engine if the charge has become low.

• Like 2

Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

I appreciate your comments, though I may not have explained clearly:

My "outage" was as if the battery had been disconnected briefly. The clock must have reverted to default 12:00, and I spotted it an hour later when I next used the van. It required me to reset the windows. But it started perfectly, as it has always done, so it was not flat.

The battery was tested last year and deemed OK.

I use the van almost daily.

This is the first time I've ever experienced a complete  "outage".

14 hours ago, Torq2u said:

Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

I appreciate your comments, though I may not have explained clearly:

My "outage" was as if the battery had been disconnected briefly. The clock must have reverted to default 12:00, and I spotted it an hour later when I next used the van. It required me to reset the windows. But it started perfectly, as it has always done, so it was not flat.

The battery was tested last year and deemed OK.

I use the van almost daily.

This is the first time I've ever experienced a complete  "outage".

Hi again Graeme,

I did understand your initial situation.

If your battery is tired and the voltage dips too low; and Pete gives all the voltage information, your ECU will react as though the battery has been disconnected.

Starting a vehicle with a weak battery can certainly cause the battery voltage to dip severely.

As Pete suggests, check your alternator too.

4 hours ago, Rojie said:

Hi again Graeme,

I did understand your initial situation.

If your battery is tired and the voltage dips too low; and Pete gives all the voltage information, your ECU will react as though the battery has been disconnected.

Starting a vehicle with a weak battery can certainly cause the battery voltage to dip severely.

As Pete suggests, check your alternator too.

But get your battery tested before replacing it.

I had a battery that I thought had failed.

I bought a new one.

Now I have two good batteries !

Which, actually, is very handy, as I always have one one charge; just in case.

On 4/4/2023 at 7:12 PM, Torq2u said:

2005 2.4 with rear conversion and leisure battery

This afternoon (16.35) I completed a short journey and noticed that my clock said 1:00 (having been showing the correct time earlier today). Passenger windows would not open from drivers door - so, it was as if I had disconnected the battery (which I hadn't!). I checked the battery terminals which were tight. Never had any battery problems before, always starts easily.

This left me mystified, and concerned that I might experience an issue when on our travels in Europe. Grateful for any thoughts / advice ......

• 1 month later...

Just an update: I tested my battery as suggested. All seemed ok. So I put shiny new terminal connections on and the problem has not recurred so far .....