Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Tailgate telescopic rods

10 hours ago, Alasdair said:

I'd it possible to get slightly longer rods for the tailgate to open up a little bit higher.....away from head height

I doubt it. Most Japanese are quite short; so there was never a need.

You may just need to renew the ones you have.

The large letter is important, as that determines the 'load' the pneumatic rods can 'cope' with.

They do get tired.

They do come in different sizes.

I know because I bought some from AliExpress, and they were incorrect. It was my mistake. I took a risk.

Surprisingly, my local Toyota dealer was able to supply the correct type but at nearly 400 pounds the pair.

I did find a UK company that offered to re-gas mine; but they had never done an Alphard before.

They asked so many questions, I didn't proceed as I deemed it to risky.

Good Luck with your search.

Thanks Roger....I'll see what I can find. They do open to theur extremity but was hoping for something else that would just give that little bit more room. I'll keep the group updated if I source anything 

3 hours ago, Alasdair said:

Thanks Roger....I'll see what I can find. They do open to theur extremity but was hoping for something else that would just give that little bit more room. I'll keep the group updated if I source anything 

Maybe you need to check the tailgate hinges.

If the hinges have 'stops' to limit the travel; then longer rods won't meet your needs anyway.

That rear hatch is heavy !

I am not tall, but do need to be careful when stepping off a curb if the tailgate is open.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rojie said:

I doubt it. Most Japanese are quite short; so there was never a need.

You may just need to renew the ones you have.

The large letter is important, as that determines the 'load' the pneumatic rods can 'cope' with.

They do get tired.

They do come in different sizes.

I know because I bought some from AliExpress, and they were incorrect. It was my mistake. I took a risk.

Surprisingly, my local Toyota dealer was able to supply the correct type but at nearly 400 pounds the pair.

I did find a UK company that offered to re-gas mine; but they had never done an Alphard before.

They asked so many questions, I didn't proceed as I deemed it to risky.

Good Luck with your search.

£400? :o 

I'm not sure of my tailgate opens fully but I just about fit under it so not been too 
bothered. 

It's worse if reverse parked and there's a pavement height .....getting the dogs in and out of their cage has resulted in a couple of head knocks.....but it's safer for getting the dogs out when parked that way. 

4 hours ago, Alasdair said:

It's worse if reverse parked and there's a pavement height .....getting the dogs in and out of their cage has resulted in a couple of head knocks.....but it's safer for getting the dogs out when parked that way. 

Unlike you, we have a rear conversion.

So our filthy wet muddy mutt gets to enter, and exit, only the nearside slider (for safety) and sit in his hammock type luxury accommodation !

Oh, and my wife stipulated that when seated in his hammock, he must be able to look out of both middle side windows so he can see all there is to see.

Me? I'm just the chauffer !

• Haha 1

Dogs in an Alphard ? I am horrified. I won't even allow anyone with shoes on in the back of mine - the carpets and footrests are so luxurious and like new - and the car is now 21 years old ! Maybe I am OCD, but I am unlikely to grow out of it at 65.

57 minutes ago, GB57 said:

Dogs in an Alphard ? I am horrified. I won't even allow anyone with shoes on in the back of mine - the carpets and footrests are so luxurious and like new - and the car is now 21 years old ! Maybe I am OCD, but I am unlikely to grow out of it at 65.

Hello Graham.

You won't believe it !

I have an MZ G Edition. Leather Captains chairs and very plush carpets.

That's why he has his own heavy duty wide hammock, imported especially from California !

However, the rear area, that is the luxuriously carpeted kitchen area, is covered in very durable (removable) rubber from the B pillar rearwards

Much easier to remove the mud !

The matting is even the same colour as the leather seating !

I am somewhat senior, in years, to you.

I am also very OCD.

So ?

Pooch doesn't get to ride the wagon unless necessary.

Why ?

I said you wouldn't believe it !

He has is own car !

One dedicated to his walks on the beach and in the countryside.

It is worth nothing.

Every year it passes the MOT without any advisories !

Strange but true, every word.

One VERY lucky (and well behaved) pooch.

Hello Graham

We have a dog cage that is lined with dog beds. The entrance door is at the back beside the tailgate so they jump into the cage and don't touch the carpets at all. The cage has a blanket draped over it so any shaking does not spray anywhere other than the blanket. Rum is safe and clean....and the hounds are very happy 😁👍

On 5/1/2023 at 9:51 PM, Alasdair said:

I'd it possible to get slightly longer rods for the tailgate to open up a little bit higher.....away from head height

Hi Alasdair, good to read yours and Rojie's posts. Re the tailgate struts - I just looked at what is listed on epc-data.com and for my 2002 MZ-G 3.0 they list quite a number of possible struts - which suggests they may have been improved over time - you would need to look into that more closely, but the price of each strut no matter which part number is no more than U.S. $ 110, and then of course you have to add import duties and shipping for UK.  Not even sure which ones are electric open/close but you would need to examine yours for part numbers etc.

Worth just looking at to see if there are other options - see    https://toyota.epc-data.com/alphard/mnh10w/131183/body/6762/68960/

I bought a part from Amayama who operate the website, they packed it well and were very reliable and professional - shipped to me from Japan. Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GB57 said:

Hi Alasdair, good to read yours and Rojie's posts. Re the tailgate struts - I just looked at what is listed on epc-data.com and for my 2002 MZ-G 3.0 they list quite a number of possible struts - which suggests they may have been improved over time - you would need to look into that more closely, but the price of each strut no matter which part number is no more than U.S. $ 110, and then of course you have to add import duties and shipping for UK.  Not even sure which ones are electric open/close but you would need to examine yours for part numbers etc.

Worth just looking at to see if there are other options - see    https://toyota.epc-data.com/alphard/mnh10w/131183/body/6762/68960/

I bought a part from Amayama who operate the website, they packed it well and were very reliable and professional - shipped to me from Japan. Just a thought.

That's great information thank you 👍👍

Hi Guys,

The tailgate struts are not electric; not on the Gen 1 vehicles.

I have a Gen 1 facelift, with electrically assisted tailgate.

The struts are mechanical/pneumatic, not electric.

The whole tailgate is electrically assisted through an electric motor in the rear nearside pillar.

My MZ G Edition struts are type K.

Good Luck

• Thanks 1