Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ร—

Radio head unit

Local pothole has killed the headunit in my 05 Alf, (Toyota 56064).

Defaults to select disc change,but front won't open, lots of whiring and beeping.ย  So I,m stuck with one cd and AM radio ๐Ÿ™„

Question is can I retrieve cd with out use of prybar / hammer? Guess next question is where's the idiots guide to replacing the head unit keeping cameras and sonic parking. ( oddly satisfying ignoring the nagging)

37 minutes ago, Mort said:

Defaults to select disc change,but front won't open, lots of whiring and beeping.ย  So I,m stuck with one cd and AM radio ๐Ÿ™„

Question is can I retrieve cd with out use of prybar / hammer? Guess next question is where's the idiots guide to replacing the head unit keeping cameras and sonic parking. ( oddly satisfying ignoring the nagging)

There are a few members on here that fit aftermarket head units, try searching "Aftermarket Android Head Unit" I have read some can fit and keep cameras but not sure about sonar assisted parking

33 minutes ago, Mort said:

ย 

Hello Allan,

ย 

Welcome to the Forum.

ย 

There was someone else who had a similar problem, albeit not caused by a pot hole !

I'll try and find it.

ย 

You should be able to receive Radio 2 on your HD without the need for additional aerials.

ย 

Some members have been brave enough to update their head-unit; but not me.

Not a job for the faint-hearted, imho.

ย 

You need to be cautious you don't lose the cameras, or some of the steering wheel buttons

1 minute ago, Rojie said:

ย 

Hello Allan,

ย 

Welcome to the Forum.

ย 

There was someone else who had a similar problem, albeit not caused by a pot hole !

I'll try and find it.

ย 

You should be able to receive Radio 2 on your HD without the need for additional aerials.

ย 

Some members have been brave enough to update their head-unit; but not me.

Not a job for the faint-hearted, imho.

ย 

You need to be cautious you don't lose the cameras, or some of the steering wheel buttons

Hi Rojie: I fitted my own Android Head Unit, but with it being an Hybrid the connectors are different to the four pin one everyone talks about. for the reversing camera.

I have excellent sound through the theatre system and I fitted a DAB+ usb unit absolutely brilliant. My next step is to tackle the camera, I only want reversing camera as I dont need the side and front cameras as I have eyes and neck that swivelsย ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ย to see front and sides. I bought the repair manual cdrom from Zen Market and its mega I have traced the wiring connectors for reversing camera and found two places where I can connect to get the camera back. But there is no way I would try to remotely advise on that part.

19 minutes ago, atlanticcobra2023 said:

Hi Rojie: I fitted my own Android Head Unit, but with it being an Hybrid the connectors are different to the four pin one everyone talks about. for the reversing camera.

I have excellent sound through the theatre system and I fitted a DAB+ usb unit absolutely brilliant. My next step is to tackle the camera, I only want reversing camera as I dont need the side and front cameras as I have eyes and neck that swivelsย ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ย to see front and sides. I bought the repair manual cdrom from Zen Market and its mega I have traced the wiring connectors for reversing camera and found two places where I can connect to get the camera back. But there is no way I would try to remotely advise on that part.

ย 

I hope it goes well for you. It does for many.

But I have read reports of problems.

6 minutes ago, Rojie said:

ย 

I hope it goes well for you. It does for many.

But I have read reports of problems.

Thanks Rojie:

I am quite a techy Had my own PC business before I retired. Majority of fitting HU is not so bad, with Cameras you gotta be careful of head output 12v and basic Toyota camera demand usually 6v. but there are work arounds. I will let you know how I get on.ย 

1 hour ago, atlanticcobra2023 said:

Thanks Rojie:

I am quite a techy Had my own PC business before I retired. Majority of fitting HU is not so bad, with Cameras you gotta be careful of head output 12v and basic Toyota camera demand usually 6v. but there are work arounds. I will let you know how I get on.ย 

ย 

The Toyota camera is 6V.

Some people fit a 12V camera up front.

ย 

I think Chris.ac is probably an expert on this topic.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rojie said:

ย 

The Toyota camera is 6V.

Some people fit a 12V camera up front.

ย 

I think Chris.ac is probably an expert on this topic.

Yeah I speak to Chris.ac a lot it was him who found the repair manual cd for me, he didn't have much knowledge of my original head unit sockets as he said "some familiar some alien" to him, The CDROM was costly but its paid for itself already with what I have learnt from it

18 hours ago, atlanticcobra2023 said:

Thanks Rojie:

You would be better off fitting a 12v camera the quality of the pic and the angle of view will be much better than the oem 6v

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rojie said:

ย 

Please share which make and model you ordered

https://www.halfords.com/technology/reversing-cameras/echomaster-reversing-camera-with-dynamic-parking-lines-825346.html?recType=OCWOTBRec

ยฃ45 on offer at moment, I didn't want cheap nasty one

• 2 weeks later...

All my other Estima's before my present Alfie I only ever used to listen too Radio 4 or the Digital version of Radio 4 on a DAB Pioneer head unit. But I am liking the Radio 2 now and will not now be changing the head unit. I have the various camerasย  and reverse cam is good and I occassionally stumble accross channels that have been recorded on the hard drive and thanks to the chap who did the You Tube video of setting up Bluetooth when I sign onto the Alphard site, I now have that working, thanks mate.

Edited by Michael Brown

• 2 weeks later...

Being bone idle the errant radio remains.

However it's obviously got bored with being ignored, the facia suddenly opened, then closed, beeped then got stuck halfway, lost radio completely, steering wheel controls, on/off,(stays on ) .

Still not spitting CD out so it's continuous country hits unless volume turned down.ย 

So I'm off to watch YouTube idiots guide to trashing the dashboard, local audio places not interested or charge far too much.

ย 

ย