Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

couple of questions

Hi folks,

Couple of quick questions.......

I have four of the above antennas on the car (two front windscreen, two rear window).....any idea what these are?

It does have a very nice Pioneer double din system with wireless android auto/carplay so did wonder if it was some sort of third party FM antenna for it (has DAB and that ones obvious) but more likely some import quirk.  If anyone has any ideas be much appreciated.

My car also appears to have keyless entry (has the button on the drivers door and tailgate) but pressing either button with the key nearby does nothing.  Car came with two factory 4 button keys.....I assume these are smart keys, or is there another fob I am missing (or is it broken)?  Not the end of the world but be nice to have it working if theres an easy solution/there is plainly something I am not doing!

Final one.....I assume there is no issue/risk to removing the toll smartcard reader and windscreen sensor is there (in two minds whether to do it).

20230514_204049.jpg

Hi. My son put a new stereo in my 2008 Vellfire. There were two sensors for Japanese tolls, one for Japanese TV as well as an aerial for the radio. Mine also has aerial wires on the rear side windows which we still use.

The new stereo is only about 2" thick compared to the original 6" deep. The toll equipment has all been taken out, as well as the TV equipment (a box full altogether). The new stereo is digital, and has several new sensors. I have had to leave the old aerials on the windscreen, but the new system works very well.

About the keyless entry. The best advise I can give is have a word with your local TOYOTA dealer; they are very helpful.

Good look

John Harrison. Wallasey, Wirral

I also have the buttons on the driver's door and tailgate .....pressing these activates only locking the van for me. If already locked the buttons don't unlock the van but holding the handle does.

Alasdair - Fife

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pipsyp said:

Hi folks,

Couple of quick questions.......

I have four of the above antennas on the car (two front windscreen, two rear window).....any idea what these are?

It does have a very nice Pioneer double din system with wireless android auto/carplay so did wonder if it was some sort of third party FM antenna for it (has DAB and that ones obvious) but more likely some import quirk.  If anyone has any ideas be much appreciated.

My car also appears to have keyless entry (has the button on the drivers door and tailgate) but pressing either button with the key nearby does nothing.  Car came with two factory 4 button keys.....I assume these are smart keys, or is there another fob I am missing (or is it broken)?  Not the end of the world but be nice to have it working if theres an easy solution/there is plainly something I am not doing!

Final one.....I assume there is no issue/risk to removing the toll smartcard reader and windscreen sensor is there (in two minds whether to do it).

20230514_204049.jpg

The fobs for (my) the keyless entry system, smart system, have only three buttons.

Lock, unlock and tailgate.

1 hour ago, Alasdair said:

I also have the buttons on the driver's door and tailgate .....pressing these activates only locking the van for me. If already locked the buttons don't unlock the van but holding the handle does.

Alasdair - Fife

Thanks for this.  My keys are the factory bladed ones with four buttons, lock, unlock and open/close of both side doors.  The keyless buttons on the door handle/bootlid seem to do nothing.

Was rather wondering if it is that the keys I have arent smart/proximity keys.

Its a 1st Gen (AH10) car too if that makes any difference whatsoever.

10 minutes ago, Alasdair said:

Mine is also Gen1 AH10 and have this unit that I keep with the main key which may be why the buttons unlock the car.

20230515_114138.jpg

20230515_114129.jpg

Thanks for this, I dont have a proximity key which explains it.  Can only assume its been misplaced, or perhaps never came over from Japan when imported.

No real loss as still need the key to start the thing, but good to know!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Harrison said:

Hi. My son put a new stereo in my 2008 Vellfire. There were two sensors for Japanese tolls, one for Japanese TV as well as an aerial for the radio. Mine also has aerial wires on the rear side windows which we still use.

The new stereo is only about 2" thick compared to the original 6" deep. The toll equipment has all been taken out, as well as the TV equipment (a box full altogether). The new stereo is digital, and has several new sensors. I have had to leave the old aerials on the windscreen, but the new system works very well.

About the keyless entry. The best advise I can give is have a word with your local TOYOTA dealer; they are very helpful.

Good look

John Harrison. Wallasey, Wirral

Thanks John, Im starting to think they might be TV antennas (from factory perhaps), as I suspect it may have had a rear TV in it before its roof got lopped off for the pop top conversion.  Would make sense as otherwise the FM antennas (I believe) are in the rear side window and it has a typical windscreen one for the DAB.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, pipsyp said:

Thanks for this, I dont have a proximity key which explains it.  Can only assume its been misplaced, or perhaps never came over from Japan when imported.

No real loss as still need the key to start the thing, but good to know!

Alasdair's photos are exactly what you need should you decide to get some.

They are not cheap.

Investigate programming costs if / before we you buy; as they can be surprising and difficult to locate where to have them done.

It is unlikely a Toyota dealer will do it for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pipsyp said:

Thanks John, Im starting to think they might be TV antennas (from factory perhaps), as I suspect it may have had a rear TV in it before its roof got lopped off for the pop top conversion.  Would make sense as otherwise the FM antennas (I believe) are in the rear side window and it has a typical windscreen one for the DAB.

Any oem aerials on the windscreen are for the toll card system, I had 4 on mine, the oem tv and radio aerials are in the rear quarter windows, radio offside, tv near side. the rear screen would have been connected to the headunit it was not a stand alone unit

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dezufo said:

Any oem aerials on the windscreen are for the toll card system, I had 4 on mine, the oem tv and radio aerials are in the rear quarter windows, radio offside, tv near side. the rear screen would have been connected to the headunit it was not a stand alone unit

Ah interesting, probably the toll system then!  It has a little black receiver by the rear view mirror that is definitely part of it, then the other four are like the ones in the photo i posted...two front windscreen, two rear window.  If it wasnt TV related guess it can only be that!

I still have the little smartcard box for it in the centre console, guess the work involved to remove it the importers just dont bother?

14 minutes ago, pipsyp said:

Ah interesting, probably the toll system then!  It has a little black receiver by the rear view mirror that is definitely part of it, then the other four are like the ones in the photo i posted...two front windscreen, two rear window.  If it wasnt TV related guess it can only be that!

I still have the little smartcard box for it in the centre console, guess the work involved to remove it the importers just dont bother?

Yes too much bother or not enough knowledge, the reader has 2 wires, one is for the aerials the other is 12v + & -, don't cut that one as you can use it to power usb sockets for phone chargeing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pipsyp said:

My son removed mine when he fitted the new stereo head.

He had to take out most of the dashboard, steering wheel, and column covers!

He took out the lot!!!

John Harrison

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris.ac said:

20 series tv antennas x2 are fitted inside the rear spoiler! 

IMG_20230511_184150.jpg

Ah mine has a little black patch on top of the spoiler that looks factory but a bit out of place....wouldnt surprise me if thats something to do with it

12 hours ago, pipsyp said:

Ah mine has a little black patch on top of the spoiler that looks factory but a bit out of place....wouldnt surprise me if thats something to do with it

On my head unit I count 6 antenna input plus GPS input. 

2 antenna in spoiler for tv

2 on rear windows FM and Am

1 windscreen for telematics/sos/gbook(toyota wireless network) 

Total overkill. 

• Like 1

Hy Pipsyp,

I have been told by my dealer that are for the DAB radio, but I don't know where the cable ends. it could be that the one in front is for the radio and those on the back are for navigator? (which I don't have anymore and I will raise a hand sometime later to find a suitable one)

Thanks for all the replies chaps.  I'm gonna leave them well alone for now......just conscious that if I even need a new front windshield that they'll probably have to go (and hoping it's nothing to do with the current audio set up lol)