Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have memory driver seat? (The panel with 1, 2, 3 mounted on the door)? 

The auto tilt relies on the vertical hall sensor on the mirror that is part of the memory setting functions. 

I have a 2007 3.0 litre Alphard and the passenger mirror tilts when I select reverse. I thought it was a standard ‘feature’ not a fault 🤷‍♂️

looking at the wiring diagrams, it seems to be added to alphards that have auto retract mirrors on the 10 series - although it may have been an option.

on the 20 series, there are two looms, one has an additional 4 wires for a horizontal and vertical hall sensor, and additional wires for the retract motor, this function can also be tested by manually pushing the glass out of position when everything is switched off, when you turn on the ignition, the mirror corrects itself.

22 hours ago, Denz said:

Does not have memory seats.

It's unlikely you have auto tilt, then, unfortunately.

do you have auto fold mirrors? when locking/unlocking?

It is interesting to know how these functions are linked, as the documentation is all in japanese

Thanks Chris for the information. My does not have auto fold mirrors I have to press a button before switching off ignition.

Edited by Denz

1 hour ago, Denz said:

Thanks Chris for the information. My does not have auto fold mirrors I have to press a button before switching off ignition.

there is an aftermarket box that plugs in to the obd port, that will auto fold mirrors and close windows when you lock doors

• 9 months later...
On 6/1/2023 at 4:52 PM, Chris.ac said:

there is an aftermarket box that plugs in to the obd port, that will auto fold mirrors and close windows when you lock doors

Hi Chris, on my Vellfire, I can fild the mirrors by the button,  but I do not have memory seat positions. Is there a way to set the mirrors to fold when I lock the car? Something through the obd2 or maybe Techstream?

5 hours ago, Sorin said:

Hi Chris, on my Vellfire, I can fild the mirrors by the button,  but I do not have memory seat positions. Is there a way to set the mirrors to fold when I lock the car? Something through the obd2 or maybe Techstream?

The auto folding is controlled via a physical switch, that provides a logic state to the controller.

I don't see an override via techstream, but I imagine if you at least have the same controller, forcing the right logic state will have the effect required.

This is probably how the OBD2 plugin modules work.

I'm sure auto folding is not dependant on memory seats being fitted ( auto tilting is dependant on memory seats)

It's not something I've studied, as I have a 350G that already had tilt and fold as standard.

I'll look at the wiring logic.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

The auto folding is controlled via a physical switch, that provides a logic state to the controller.

I don't see an override via techstream, but I imagine if you at least have the same controller, forcing the right logic state will have the effect required.

This is probably how the OBD2 plugin modules work.

I'm sure auto folding is not dependant on memory seats being fitted ( auto tilting is dependant on memory seats)

It's not something I've studied, as I have a 350G that already had tilt and fold as standard.

I'll look at the wiring logic.

You are correct. I looked a bit over the diagrams and I noticed that I have the mirror switch I14. If I place a parallel connection with the relay for locking the doors, it might work. I need to see if the mirrors have power while the locking happens!

17108385055836617672846723273562.jpg

@Sorin

I can't recall offhand, if there are 3 or only 2 wiring looks for the mirrors, the diagrams i linked to should have both types.

It situations like this, i find going onto other Toyota forums, like rav4 etc, as many people there make mods like this.

I would like to think it's not just a switch that Toyota saved money on, like they did with cruise control on some base models.

Given the number of aftermarket adaptors that plug and play to the socket in the door, with additional taps to the door lock make it seem more complex than what my original thoughts suggest.

Clearly there is a logic signal, but it must integrate somewhere.

7 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

@Sorin

I can't recall offhand, if there are 3 or only 2 wiring looks for the mirrors, the diagrams i linked to should have both types.

It situations like this, i find going onto other Toyota forums, like rav4 etc, as many people there make mods like this.

I would like to think it's not just a switch that Toyota saved money on, like they did with cruise control on some base models.

Given the number of aftermarket adaptors that plug and play to the socket in the door, with additional taps to the door lock make it seem more complex than what my original thoughts suggest.

Clearly there is a logic signal, but it must integrate somewhere.

I will have a look there too, thank you! I was just thinking that since we can close and open the mirrors via a switch, we can attach a parallel circuit with a flip-flop, connected to the signal for locking the doors. I will research a bit more the topic!

1 hour ago, Sorin said:

I will have a look there too, thank you! I was just thinking that since we can close and open the mirrors via a switch, we can attach a parallel circuit with a flip-flop, connected to the signal for locking the doors. I will research a bit more the topic!

Well that is effectively what the aftermarket modules do.

They take power from the central locking motor as the pulse to fold unfold, and use a switched acc wire in the door loom.

You have to account for the logic where the doors auto lock unlock when car is moved into and out of park, or when your speed goes over 7mph

19 minutes ago, Chris.ac said:

Well that is effectively what the aftermarket modules do.

They take power from the central locking motor as the pulse to fold unfold, and use a switched acc wire in the door loom.

You have to account for the logic where the doors auto lock unlock when car is moved into and out of park, or when your speed goes over 7mph

Yes, I was thinking that I have to account for that too. Then I looked on that Rav4 forum and on ebay, and the modules are £10. Definitely it is not worth me doing this flip-flop adaptation when I can find it for only a 10er. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166463511541?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sODE7-S-RAO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4VUOd8_gQG6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Sorin

Exactly, just buy the module.

At it is, will be 2 relays with the coil connected to a switched live, so that it as you say flips to fold when power is removed.

basically replicating the switch configuration.

The circuit is far simpler than the auto file fitted alphards, they do use a logic signal in to the controller, in fact, when you manually adjust the mirror via the buttons. They are sending a signal like the steering wheel buttons, to the controller that then moves the mirror.

If you turn off the car, move the glass with your finger, it will return to the last position automatically when engine starts.

17108566958417389701260430372628.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris.ac said:

Exactly, just buy the module.

At it is, will be 2 relays with the coil connected to a switched live, so that it as you say flips to fold when power is removed.

basically replicating the switch configuration.

The circuit is far simpler than the auto file fitted alphards, they do use a logic signal in to the controller, in fact, when you manually adjust the mirror via the buttons. They are sending a signal like the steering wheel buttons, to the controller that then moves the mirror.

If you turn off the car, move the glass with your finger, it will return to the last position automatically when engine starts.

17108566958417389701260430372628.jpg

The module is already on it's way to me! I will post updates to how it can be fitted to Vellfire/Alphard