Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

fitting a tow bar on a camper conversion

There seems to be better supply of towbars for gen 1 Alphards (on K platform)

I tried  to get hold of a PCT gen 2- ANH20 towbar but strangely was refunded on purchase. (possibly-probably fitting problems)

Fortunately I  replied to a request on here  via Carl Millis-Technical design engineer at Tow Trust Towbars Ltd who are actually going into production of the ANH20 towbar ( New MC platform)

They have used my Van as a template to fit,  The first bar  is now made & painted  ready to be trial fitted early next week  (early June 2023)

They will soon be able to supply bars in either fixed flange, swan neck and detachable versions. All manufactured with the latest lazer cutting and high tech forming equipment by "Tow Trust " in Warwickshire -Great Britain!

• Like 1

I covered the fitting of a tow bar 2021 with a recommended supplier, but all seems to have been covered in these recent posts. I tow a Sprite caravan with no problem. The camper does slow a little on long inclines, but I don't thrash the engine in lower speeds.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ALSALPHARD said:

There seems to be better supply of towbars for gen 1 Alphards (on K platform)

I tried  to get hold of a PCT gen 2- ANH20 towbar but strangely was refunded on purchase. (possibly-probably fitting problems)

Fortunately I  replied to a request on here  via Carl Millis-Technical design engineer at Tow Trust Towbars Ltd who are actually going into production of the ANH20 towbar ( New MC platform)

They have used my Van as a template to fit,  The first bar  is now made & painted  ready to be trial fitted early next week  (early June 2023)

They will soon be able to supply bars in either fixed flange, swan neck and detachable versions. All manufactured with the latest lazer cutting and high tech forming equipment by "Tow Trust " in Warwickshire -Great Britain!

12 minutes ago, starider said:

I covered the fitting of a tow bar 2021 with a recommended supplier, but all seems to have been covered in these recent posts. I tow a Sprite caravan with no problem. The camper does slow a little on long inclines, but I don't thrash the engine in lower speeds.

just a single motorcycle 

• 1 month later...

Hi I have a tow bar fitted to my 2003 alphard for a cycle rack but be careful. I was told that the Alphard is not rated ( weight wise) for towing so strictly speaking its illegal.

If I have been misinformed then I apologise in advance.

4 hours ago, Andyx said:

Hi I have a tow bar fitted to my 2003 alphard for a cycle rack but be careful. I was told that the Alphard is not rated ( weight wise) for towing so strictly speaking its illegal.

If I have been misinformed then I apologise in advance.

Hi Andrew,

Which organisation told you this ?

It needs to be validated, or not.

1 minute ago, Andyx said:

Hi 

I read this,https://andrewsjapanesecars.com/japanese-import-towing-weights/ , and ended up more confused than when I started, although it seems to indicate that if there's no towing info on the vin plate, you could be on dodgy ground. My importer/supplier initially mentioned the issue.

Thanks for this.

I'll try and look into it.

2 minutes ago, Rojie said:

Thanks for this.

I'll try and look into it.

Id be very interested in anything you come up with either way, for the moment Im sticking with the cycle carrier, and you'd probably get away with a small trailer but say a caravan might be a different kettle of fish altogether and of course theres always the insurance aspect, they do love a get out of jail card😂

4 minutes ago, Andyx said:

I'd be very interested in anything you come up with either way, for the moment I'm sticking with the cycle carrier, and you'd probably get away with a small trailer but say a caravan might be a different kettle of fish altogether and of course there's always the insurance aspect, they do love a get out of jail card😂

I am no authority on this subject, nor will I be, and I have no intention of towing; as opposed to having a tow bar mounted bike rack.

I do not have a tow bar.

Having read the information in the link I would suggest, imho, that there are three issues

1) Is it safe ?

2) Is it legal ?

3) Is your insurance valid ?

I cannot answer any of these questions !

I respectfully suggest all members intending to tow read the link that Andrew has supplied.

It is not based on some individual's opinion, i.e. a rumour !

It seems to be a (somewhat) official stance.

I will check my VIN, but only to check the Gross Vehicle weight.

My VIN has no gross vehicle weight. In fact, no weight information at all !

From the JPNZ Owners Manual, my vehicle weight is 1910kg.

A 4wd is 100kg heavier.

Both values are for Gen 1.

The Owners Manual is not clear (to me) on whether this is dry weight, wet weight, or any other qualification.

Perhaps a member with experience of towing, not necessarily with an Alphie, can shed some more light on this situation.

Food for thought, on another line of thought.

When towing, with any vehicle, does your insurance need to know that you intend to tow?

Do they need to know what you are towing (caravan, boat, horse, etc), and the value of that trailer combination ?

2 hours ago, Andyx said:

Hi 

I read this,https://andrewsjapanesecars.com/japanese-import-towing-weights/ , and ended up more confused than when I started, although it seems to indicate that if theres no towing info on the vin plate, you could be on dodgy ground. My importer/supplier initialy mentioned the issue.

Further down on that page is this.

'We bought our Alphard with no intention of towing but getting back into sailing l wanted to tow my dinghy. l contacted the dvsa and was specifically told l could not tow without any weights on the VIN. They gave me a list of companies approved to issue a new VIN. l contacted a company called SVTech who issued me with a new VIN with a gvm of 1880 kg and gtw 3130 kg. This was done in conjunction with data from Toyota. So not a huge towing capacity but legal. My ins co would not insure without this. DVSA confirmed once my new plate was in place l was good to go. Total cost £144 . Took a few months but l’m happy l’m fully insured and legal.'

• Like 2

This has probably gone off the original topic a little but my take on this,

I tow a caravan mtplm 1232kg with my vellfire after some research and information gathered my understanding of the illegality is,

the uk law is "not applicable". The uk law only applies to models built for the European market.
Grey imports don't come under EU regulations, therefore rules that do not exist can't be applied.

One thing to note as well Is there any
evidence or records of a grey import
driver being prosecuted for towing with a
imported vehicle, I don't know of any.

The law about a lack of towing weights on
the VIN is for cars built for the European market, so that it is clear that an offence has been committed when a
vehicle is stopped and the plate inspected.

The lack of VIN plate towing weights on an imported vehicle is not reasonable grounds that a towing offence has been committed, as unlike on a European vehicle the lack of towing weights does not indicate it is not allowed to tow as the towing weights on the vin is not a requirement of the market it was destined for.

Obviously it is best to follow the caravan club 85% kerb weight guide.

I have informed my insurance Aviva,and it has been noted I tow a caravan with the vellfire, they told me there was no requirement to inform them but this may not apply to all insurance companies always worth a phone call, the addition of a towbar is classed as a modification to the car but no increase in premium.

I will certainly though take a look at SVTech as per Andyx post above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fixitman said:

Hi, re towing with an import vehicle with no weights on VIN plate see:  https://www.rib.net/forum/f49/towing-weights-for-import-vehicles-64549-2.html

Hhmm. Very interesting. Worth a read, imho, if you tow.

Seems to refer to towing, as opposed to bike racks mounted on tow hitches.

Having a tow hitch cannot be illegal but, in some cases, using it might be !

If it is ambiguous to us, is it ambiguous to the Police and the Courts ?

Glad I don't tow a trailer.