Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Power steering fault and ignition

Hi all I have two problems with my Alphard that's driving me up the wall first one is the power steering that will suddenly switch itself off I've had the fluid changed using the proper stuff guy looked over it said everything was ok filters were very dirty lot of black bits in the old fluid that was cleaned out..worked ok for a day then no power steering again ...the other is sometimes when starting the car it won't turn over you turn the key all the lights on the dash come up you can hear a relay clicking in by the glove box yet nothing as if there's no power to the starter ..if you disconnect the black connector on the starter bridge the gap between the starter power wire and the switch with a couple screwdrivers it will turn over and start ...I had two new keys done thinking it was the transponder worked ok for a few days now problem has come back ....any ideas before I set the bloody thing on fire  

2 hours ago, Andy 1730 said:

Hi all I have two problems with my Alphard that's driving me up the wall first one is the power steering that will suddenly switch itself off I've had the fluid changed using the proper stuff guy looked over it said everything was ok filters were very dirty lot of black bits in the old fluid that was cleaned out..worked ok for a day then no power steering again ...the other is sometimes when starting the car it won't turn over you turn the key all the lights on the dash come up you can hear a relay clicking in by the glove box yet nothing as if there's no power to the starter ..if you disconnect the black connector on the starter bridge the gap between the starter power wire and the switch with a couple screwdrivers it will turn over and start ...I had two new keys done thinking it was the transponder worked ok for a few days now problem has come back ....any ideas before I set the bloody thing on fire  

Ensure your starter battery is fully charged.

Check the integrity of the battery terminals and leads.

I would also get the starter motor checked had similar issue myself sometimes would not start straight away solved by fitting new starter motor the clicking you can hear might be starter motor trying to engage