Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Alphard sitting low

Hi - I've seen an Alphard for sale but it looks like its sitting low. It's had a home conversion and I'm wondering if it's the weight on the springs?

Are there any checks I could do?

Thanks

1 hour ago, actu_8 said:

Hi - I've seen an Alphard for sale but it looks like its sitting low. It's had a home conversion and I'm wondering if it's the weight on the springs?

Are there any checks I could do?

Thanks

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

Private Sale or Business Seller ?

Check the wheels and tyres are the correct size. Are they 16 or 17inch ?

205/65/16 or 225/55/17.

Check the minimum ground clearance, 160mm.

Is it a rear conversion or a side conversion ?

Quality of conversion ? Gas integrity, if fitted ?

Either way, IMHO, it is unlikely to be the additional weight.

Most conversion involve removing the middle and rearmost seats.

Many Alphies are lowered, either in Japan or the UK. Ground clearance can become an issue.

Replacing suspension parts (excluding wheels and tyres) to revert to factory will cost upwards of 1200 !

AA RAC Inspection may be advisable. Mine cost 300 pounds, and was very reassuring.

Other than that, all the usual precautions when buying a pre owned vehicle.

Check the undersealing too.

Is the speedo in miles or kilometres ?

Insist on a copy of the Auction Sheet BEFORE you part with any cash.

Good Luck.

I have a converted Alphard and it definitely looks low but when I compare it to other vehicles it is much the same.  The modern trend seems to be low to the ground.  I don't like it as my last camper was a Mitsubishi Delica and that was much higher. 

2 hours ago, Rojie said:

Hello Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

Private Sale or Business Seller ?

Check the wheels and tyres are the correct size. Are they 16 or 17inch ?

205/65/16 or 225/55/17.

Check the minimum ground clearance, 160mm.

Is it a rear conversion or a side conversion ?

Quality of conversion ? Gas integrity, if fitted ?

Either way, IMHO, it is unlikely to be the additional weight.

Most conversion involve removing the middle and rearmost seats.

Many Alphies are lowered, either in Japan or the UK. Ground clearance can become an issue.

Replacing suspension parts (excluding wheels and tyres) to revert to factory will cost upwards of 1200 !

AA RAC Inspection may be advisable. Mine cost 300 pounds, and was very reassuring.

Other than that, all the usual precautions when buying a pre owned vehicle.

Check the undersealing too.

Is the speedo in miles or kilometres ?

Insist on a copy of the Auction Sheet BEFORE you part with any cash.

Good Luck.

Thanks. The ground clearance is =< 150mm so it looks like it's been lowered. Would that be a red flag?

11 minutes ago, actu_8 said:

Thanks. The ground clearance is =< 150mm so it looks like it's been lowered. Would that be a red flag?

And are the wheels and tyres standard sizes.

IMHO, only an opinion, I would not have thought 1 cm would not make much difference.

These machines do have a soft ride so it can be difficult to assess whether the springs are worn.

You don't say whether the conversion is side or rear ?

8 minutes ago, Rojie said:

And are the wheels and tyres standard sizes.

IMHO, only an opinion, I would not have thought 1 cm would not make much difference.

These machines do have a soft ride so it can be difficult to assess whether the springs are worn.

You don't say whether the conversion is side or rear ?

Hi - sorry, yes,  it's looks like a home done rear conversion and the tyres are 205/65 R16. 160 cm is around 6.3 Inches so, yeah, just over a cm!

42 minutes ago, actu_8 said:

Hi - sorry, yes,  it's looks like a home done rear conversion and the tyres are 205/65 R16. 160 cm is around 6.3 Inches so, yeah, just over a cm!

It is quite normal for the front valance to be lower than the rear valance.

Private or Business seller ?

i can tell by the photo its lowered there is no clearace between the wheel arch and top of tyre on the shocks should be a round what looks like a nut you can manually adjust the hight of each shock high or low but wont make much difference to be honest with you i would personaly put it back to standard suspension cost is about £1200 in parts i had mine done when i bought mine as it was lowered and to many speed bumps and pot holes where i live.  

1 hour ago, Picasso said:

i can tell by the photo its lowered there is no clearace between the wheel arch and top of tyre on the shocks should be a round what looks like a nut you can manually adjust the hight of each shock high or low but wont make much difference to be honest with you i would personaly put it back to standard suspension cost is about £1200 in parts i had mine done when i bought mine as it was lowered and to many speed bumps and pot holes where i live.  

Thanks. The photo is of someone else's Alphard, not the one I'm considering.

To be clear i've fitted coilovers to several racing touring cars when situated at Brands Hatch in kent ..they are not designed for the alphard type vehicle ,, they are designed t to be a

repacement adjustable coil/spring suspension for the standard suspension of saloon cars and single seater race cars

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have same green coil cover and my new alphard is very low. Front bumper has ground clearance of less than 10cm I think. I suggestions where to take this car for normal coil adjustment? I live in london. 

27 minutes ago, Montecrist0 said:

Hi, just measured mine at 15cm, yours must be super low. I haven’t had any problems grounding yet. 😬

15 cm is normal.