Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

XL tyres required?

Hey all, it's time to replace the tyres on my Vellfire, I have seen a set of tyres I want to buy but not sure if I need to get the XL version or not?

My Vellfire is not converted for a camper, just a bog standard 7 seater for carting the kids around in.

I'm going to replace with a different tyre brand but the same dimensions on what's on there currently 235 50 18, but the XL VERSION of the tyres I am going for is an extra £100.

Any advice on whether I need to go for XL or not? Thanks

2 hours ago, mick85 said:

Hey all, it's time to replace the tyres on my Vellfire, I have seen a set of tyres I want to buy but not sure if I need to get the XL version or not?

My Vellfire is not converted for a camper, just a bog standard 7 seater for carting the kids around in.

I'm going to replace with a different tyre brand but the same dimensions on what's on there currently 235 50 18, but the XL VERSION of the tyres I am going for is an extra £100.

Any advice on whether I need to go for XL or not? Thanks

Hi Mick,

I have an earlier model than you.

My Owners Handbook does not specify XL tyres.

As I have rear conversion I have XL fitted at the rear.

XL tyres will harden the ride slightly..

Imho, you do not need XL tyres, unless you have several children with mountains of gear !

Perhaps a Gen 2 owner can refer to their Owners Manual and advise us.

My guess is, XL not required.

Thanks Rojie, my current tyres are not XL and there isn't a lot of additional weight in the car other than me and the kids so I think non XL tyres will be fine, just wanted to ask someone else's opinion. Thanks for the reply.

Recently changed my tyres to xl, feels so much better for me now, had previously Autogreen tyres (not xl), usually only me in the car 80% of the time, we also tow a caravan , maybe my personal preference but would always go for the xl.

It's not the XL you need to be concerned with it's the load rating. Think mines on 97s which would be 730kg per corner. Not Sure what the recommended is but gross weight is what 2000kg? I guess in theory you could put on 95s once you account for weight distribution by axel and potentially how much load you carry that would be 690kg per corner.

1 hour ago, big_boz said:

It's not the XL you need to be concerned with it's the load rating. Think mines on 97s which would be 730kg per corner. Not Sure what the recommended is but gross weight is what 2000kg? I guess in theory you could put on 95s once you account for weight distribution by axel and potentially how much load you carry that would be 690kg per corner.

Recommended , on a Gen 1 vehicle, is 95.