Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

re-spray

I've had to source a replacement side mirror for my black Alphard, but of course not the right colour. Money is v tight at the moment so, could I spray it myself with a decernt quality can of auto spray paint? Anything I should be aware of?

Hi David,

you can sand and respray yourself with a spray can.

You can apply primer after sanding with 320s paper or 400s, then sand the primer ready for paint colour.

Remove the mirror from the car and mask off the mirror glass.

You can get a decent result with a spray can if you're willing to wet flat the paint after and then lacquer on top.

But if your alphard is pearl white paint then to buy the paint in spray cans is actually a bit expensive due to the pearl and it's a 2 part spray job, 

In a proper bodyshop would be a 3 part spray job.

On 5/20/2021 at 2:49 PM, Andrew said:

Hi David,

you can sand and respray yourself with a spray can.

You can apply primer after sanding with 320s paper or 400s, then sand the primer ready for paint colour.

Remove the mirror from the car and mask off the mirror glass.

You can get a decent result with a spray can if you're willing to wet flat the paint after and then lacquer on top.

But if your alphard is pearl white paint then to buy the paint in spray cans is actually a bit expensive due to the pearl and it's a 2 part spray job, 

In a proper bodyshop would be a 3 part spray job.

Can you advise please where can i buy the pearl white paint from...either spray or a touch up bottle

On 5/23/2021 at 10:56 PM, John Sut 1 said:

Can you advise please where can i buy the pearl white paint from...either spray or a touch up bottle

My local motor parts store does touch up kits/ paint mixed in tins ready for a spray gun or they can make them ready to go in a spray can, I'm sure other places will do that too.

But if you're struggling then search on ebay, type in the paint code and results should appear with choices of tins or spray cans. 

(Also if the spray can doesn't come with a fan spray pattern nozzle make sure to try and get hold of one, it really helps to get a better finish) 

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re just needing to touch up an appendage like a mirror or just a small panel so that colour match isn’t absolutely crucial then one option is to buy some vinyl wrap from eBay/Amazon etc and apply that yourself using a hairdryer to get the shrink.