Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Car radio issue

Hi All ,

I have recently purchased a 2.4 Toyota Alphard with a 05 registration plate . The car has the original Japanese stereo where I get spoken to in Japanese when I turn it on along with only being able to access Radio 2 . I was advised to buy a Double Din radio which I did at a cost of £200 . After waiting over a month for someone to fit it I then find out that the wiring is all different. Can someone please help by telling me how to over come this and what type of Radio I need. All suggestions would be greatly received. 

1 hour ago, Pete F said:

Hi All ,

I have recently purchased a 2.4 Toyota Alphard with a 05 registration plate . The car has the original Japanese stereo where I get spoken to in Japanese when I turn it on along with only being able to access Radio 2 . I was advised to buy a Double Din radio which I did at a cost of £200 . After waiting over a month for someone to fit it I then find out that the wiring is all different. Can someone please help by telling me how to over come this and what type of Radio I need. All suggestions would be greatly received. 

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have front and rear cameras ?

Proceed with care as you may lose that functionality.

3 minutes ago, Pete F said:

I have the rear camera on the original stereo . 

No front cameras ?

Some installations may cause loss of cameras and other steering wheel functions.

As I say proceed with caution and make sure you ask all the relevant questions !

Good Luck

I'm not sure on where to go from here. The main dealers here in Aberdeen will charge an arm and a leg and I dont want to try myself as I'm sure it will just frustrate me . 

Yes, it can be expensive.

It depends on your needs and wants.

Often it is one of the first upgrades new owners make; some go the 'whole hog'.

Others adopt a different approach.

You may have audio or auxiliary inputs you can hook up to.

Maps and guidance are available on many phones.

I find the reversing camera extremely useful.

And radio 2 isn't so bad.

There is a guy in Birmingham, but Ben Hau is nowhere near close to you.

Lots of info in the Forum.

Search for Radio Replacement or Head Unit replacement

On 2/12/2024 at 6:49 PM, Pete F said:

I was advised to buy a Double Din radio which I did at a cost of £200

Which one did you buy? Didn't it come with adapter cables?

My Alphard came with a nice Pioneer double DIN with wireless Carplay/android auto, Bluetooth and DAB.  It still has the factory rear camera and steering wheel controls all functional.

I'd suggest the best thing would be to seek out a professional car audio installer and see what the options are.  Won't be the cheapest but probably the best way.

• 3 months later...

A further question re reversing camera...

I've just had the wiring done by a motor sparks pal who is usually excellent. However, on collection the car I now find the radio is not working and there is no display while using reverse. Is this a fuse problem? He did say that at one point the battery went flat as all the interior lights were on (I didn't point out the off switch to him) and he put it on charge. I had a similar prob while the pop-top was fitted and had to go to the local Toyota dealer who was most helpful but also charged me £100.00 to find the fault and fit a new fuse...