Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Best ODB II Scanner for Alphard?

hi,

I'm looking at getting a decent BOD scanner for my 2006 Alphard, partly to monitor for engine errors but mostly Fuel Economy. (I get about 21 MPG in mine!!!)

Can anyone recommend a good OBD tool?

I've been looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XVQMVS?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=121759630-311-589357443.1711452236&tag=best_reviews_uk_1-21

Thanks

Thanks for that.

The laptop solutions doesn't really work for me, because I wanted the OBD plugged in all the time so i can get engine data on my phone and also monitor MPG.

the MPG is the really killer here! Costing me a fortune. :(

I have two of these, they with perfectly in 20 series and a bmw mini.

I use car scanner pro app (apple and Android stores).

I'm not sure how much data is available on the 10 series, but these adaptors are less than £5, so worth a shot.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! 

£4.73 55%OFF | PL Ship V1.5 MINI ELM 327 BT Double PCB ELM 327 Code Reader V1.5 PIC18F25K80 for Android/PC WIFI ELM 327 USB Swith MS/HS SCAN

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJ62muZ

Thanks for that link Chris.ac. 

I assume it's ok for have the device plugged in all the time?

And, will the ELM 327 give me fuel economy data as I'm driving?

cheers

3 hours ago, Torq2u said:

Please excuse my ignorance Lee, but would this gismo diagnose the cause of intermittent AFS light coming on and dipped beam seeming a bit low?

Possibly. Depends if the AFS control module is connected to the diagnostic system. My 2003 van for example will only talk to ECM and ABS via K-Line. However your later model might have most of the modules available over CAN. If so, it should have a logged DTC which will help you diagnose the problem.

1 hour ago, davidd220823 said:

I assume it's ok for have the device plugged in all the time?

And, will the ELM 327 give me fuel economy data as I'm driving?

I believe it is intended to be plugged in contnuously.

I think these devices only work with OBD data. The list of PIDs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs) does not include economy in mpg. It does however have a fuel rate in litres per hour and odometer reading. Assuming your vehicle supports these PIDs, it will be the app receiving this data that will make a fuel economy calculation for you if it even has that as an option, I'm not sure.

Are you looking to monitor and adjust your driving style to minimise fuel consumption? You could just look at L/hr in that case.

Yes, it's mainly to monitor MPG.

But knowing Litres/Hour is probably just as useful for understanding where the high consumption areas are.

Possibly more useful since it's based on time (hours) rather than distance.

On 3/28/2024 at 3:12 PM, davidd220823 said:

Yes, it's mainly to monitor MPG.

But knowing Litres/Hour is probably just as useful for understanding where the high consumption areas are.

Possibly more useful since it's based on time (hours) rather than distance.

If you  use the ELM327 and pair it with the Torque or Torque Lite app it will give you live data of fuel, speed etc, you have to to input your vehicle model, you can choose what is displayed on your phone, if you have a head unit that accepts mirroring then what shows on your phone will show on the headunit screen