Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Sourcing Toyota Techstream - any trusted sources?

Hi folks,

I'm keen at some point to buy a JOBD cable and a copy of Techstream.  Does anyone have any trusted sources they would recommend (as appreciate its probably a bit of a minefield on eBay, dodgy cables, malware infested software etc).

I have a laptop I can run it on as a VM, so no issues there.

Appreciate any steer from anyone whose done the same.

Paul

The cables seem to be a bit of minefield with no guaranteed way of getting a "good" one. Price seems to be no guarantee of sucess.

I bought one from Amazon and tried it on two different computers, one in a virtual machine and one directly on Windows Vista, and on both it had an update time of 11 seconds and kept dropping comms when getting data. That one is going back to Amazon and I've ordered a V2.0.4 lead from AliExpress to see if that is any better. 

In terms of getting a copy of techstream that isn't rammed full of malware, this is the best method of getting a virtual machine with techstream inside it. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-techstream-in-5-minutes.1034923/

Edited by smurf

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Rephlection said:

@smurf Did you end up getting the aliexpress cable? I'm about to pull the trigger on a cable with techstream from Ali and am wary given the trouble others have had.

I have got it and I'm still getting similar faults with it dropping out on certain ECUs. I haven't got to the bottom of why yet.  The fact I am getting the same fault with very different leads suggests the issue is with my setup. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, smurf said:

I have got it and I'm still getting similar faults with it dropping out on certain ECUs. I haven't got to the bottom of why yet.  The fact I am getting the same fault with very different leads suggests the issue is with my setup. 

Definitely something to do with comm ports on your laptop. 

I saw a fix for the drop outs on another Toyota forum, may be rav4 or the ih8mud site 

Edited by Chris.ac

I tried googling it and although I found a few other people getting the same fault I didn't find a solution.  I decided to try completely deleting the whole virtual machine and starting again, and now I can't get the registration to work when set to Japan.  I don't recall any particular issue when I installed it all the first time and I'm getting to the point of giving up, as it is just a PITA messing around with it to get nowhere.

I bought the Washinglee odb2 J2534 cable from Amazon a couple of years ago and it came with Techstream 14 - worked very well with my series 1 hybrid.

It works with Win 32 and 64 bit so no need for a virtual window. It has a 1 year warranty and tech support (they were helpful as the version they originally offered didn't work but they sent me a download which did- have used it several times ). You may need to make your virus checker recognise it.

still available at £59.99

Washinglee OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for Toyota Lexus Scion, USB Diagnostic Scanner Cable Compatible for TIS Techstream and 32/64 bit Windows : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

• 1 month later...

By way of update, this unit worked a treat on my 2005-03 model hybrid. No magic bullets for the fault codes I was getting though so it now has a refurbed battery and a new battery control unit.

From memory I ended up using the Ih8mud version of the software as it came packaged and ready to go.

• 4 weeks later...

If nobody positively confirms it works then I wouldn't bother if you're just using Techstream for diagnosis. Wifi just adds another layer of complexity that could go wrong. I would stick to a USB cable.

hello john i have techstream on a tablet your more than welcome to try it if you ever want to meet some where not im coventry and do go leamington once or twice every couple of weekends .

On 7/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, Johnno said:

https://www.obd2shop.co.uk/upload/pro/22033016486472485145.jpg

Will this wifi version work with Techstream v18 for my toyota alphard 2013?

nb I did search this forum for the answer but couldn’t find it ✌️

I use the nano WiFi. It works on a 2010 alphard, and they supply a version of techstream that works flawlessly with it.

You can also use it in usb mode 

• Thanks 1