Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Advice required on HID headlight fault please

Hi, I am after some guidance on what I can do to rectify the following problem I am having with my headlights. When I turn them on both lights light and are bright as expected, however after a short period of time my nearside light goes out. Initially I assumed the lamp was defective and replaced on a one for one basis. This did not rectify the fault and thought it may be the ballast resistor. Asked my local garage to investigate but they were stumped and had difficulty in following the system through. Any help would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, NickC said:

Hi, I am after some guidance on what I can do to rectify the following problem I am having with my headlights. When I turn them on both lights light and are bright as expected, however after a short period of time my nearside light goes out. Initially I assumed the lamp was defective and replaced on a one for one basis. This did not rectify the fault and thought it may be the ballast resistor. Asked my local garage to investigate but they were stumped and had difficulty in following the system through. Any help would be appreciated.

I would suspect ballast resistor too.

Before buying one further tests are probably required !

Do they 'level up' satisfactorily when first switched  on ?

I am sure more learned members will offer some assistance soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response. The lights work perfectly when initially switched on but as stated the nearside light goes off after a short while. The garage attempted to follow through the system but could not identify the ballast resistor to get an identification part number. So again any help in this direction would be gratefully received.

Is your engine running when this happens? 

Test with engine off.

Check your battery/alternator voltages.

Did you swap nearside and off side bulbs over to confirm the nearside fault remains?

I agree with Roger its the ballast what's your reg no. I will give you the part no. And a drawing where its located pm me if you want to 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Many thanks Lee, your assistance has proved invaluable as my garage is not use to imports and had difficulty in finding the ballast resistor. All fitted now and appears to be working but will monitor to see if the fault returns. Once again thank you. 
 Best wishes, Nick