Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Aux input on headunit 2006 (56) Alphard 2.4

Hi everybody, brand new here, have bought a 2006 Alphard, with the upgraded stereo, roof speakers, dash speaker etc, being delivered tommorrow, it doesen't appear, to have an Aux input, their is no button on headunit, as i have seen on pics in other vehicles, and i couldn't find a 3.5 mm input socket anywhere, have i missed something, if not, is their anyway to add one.

Cheers Chris

7 hours ago, rallychief said:

Hi everybody, brand new here, have bought a 2006 Alphard, with the upgraded stereo, roof speakers, dash speaker etc, being delivered tomorrow, it doesn't appear, to have an Aux input, their is no button on headunit, as i have seen on pics in other vehicles, and i couldn't find a 3.5 mm input socket anywhere, have i missed something, if not, is their anyway to add one.

Cheers Chris

There should be an RCA level input on the rear of the centre console.

Posted (edited)

Their are 3 rca sockets there, 1 red and 1 white audio, and a yellow video one, they already have something plugged in though, are you saying that if i get a 3.5 mm plug to 2x rca plugs lead, and plug it into the sockets on the back of centre console, that would work, how would you select it on the head unit, their is no aux button on the head unit, like on some other Alphards, i have seen head unit pictures of.

Cheers Chris

Edited by rallychief

Hi Chris

I run a twin channel (red & white 3.5mm) in the rear consol into the headphone socket on my Android phone.. switch the head  unit to video..you dont need the video socket for audio and hey presto, yog can play spotify etc through the head unit..sounds awesome too!. Just need the correct lead.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, i am wondering whats plugged into it currently !!!, with a video lead as well as the 2 audio, will give it a go tommorow, i have an Astell and Kern A70 mk 2 digital audio player, whch sounds great via the Aux input on my Hyundai Santa Fe, which has line fit infinity speakers in it. my phone is a challenge, being an i phone with no headphone socket.

Cheers Chris

4 hours ago, rallychief said:

Their are 3 rca sockets there, 1 red and 1 white audio, and a yellow video one, they already have something plugged in though, are you saying that if i get a 3.5 mm plug to 2x rca plugs lead, and plug it into the sockets on the back of centre console, that would work, how would you select it on the head unit, their is no aux button on the head unit, like on some other Alphards, i have seen head unit pictures of.

Cheers Chris

The yellow one is analogue video.

As above, just select a button.

I can't remember which, DVD probably

I think the head unit is smart enough to sense the incoming analogue signal.

RCA inputs are not compatible with digital signals.

Don't even try your A70 in the RCA inputs, unless it outputs analogue signal levels, you could smoke your speakers.

Hi Roger, the line out on the A&K is analogue via 3.5 mm socket, bypassing the dac, so no problem,  think i need to investigate, where the 3 leads are going that are allready plugged in their, this Alphard has a roof mounted tv screen, do they go there, would have thought their would be cables in the vehicle loom to that screen though, will look at it all, when the vehicle is here later today.

Cheers Chris

4 hours ago, rallychief said:

Another thought, the guy that sold it to me said something about a built in hard drive ? 

some head units have a built in hard drive that automatically records tunes via the disc player

To connect your iPhone you need a lead like THIS, or if you want to be able to charge your phone at the same time through the lightning port then THIS. You'd still need whatever ever is required to convert the RCA to 3.5mm socket.

Alternatively, you could get a Bluetooth device that plugs into the RCA ports like THIS

Edited by smurf

6 hours ago, dezufo said:

some head units have a built in hard drive that automatically records tunes via the disc player

Show me a photo of your head unit.

Some, mine does, have a hard drive.

If you play a CD it will automatically record to hard disc, if there is any room.

If there is no room, check eightseater.blogspot.com; or something very similar.

He explains how to delete recordings.

I don't have a roof screen, so cannot help you there. So the RCA will go to the Head Unit (maybe the roof unit too).

I am not overly impressed with the audio quality coming from the HDD, but it eradicate the need for 'fiddling' with loose CDs.

Chris.ac knows more about wiring, imho, that anyone else on this forum (but I think he has a Gen 2).

Hi everybody, attached is a pic of the headunit, i just happened to have a 3.5mm to 2 rca plugs lead in my leads drawer lol, plugged the DAP into the sockets on the back of the centre console, pressed TV on the head unit, and hey presto music, we only have radio 2 at the mo, but the importer has a box coming that will attach to the head unit, and give us all sorts of things, its £350, also a stalk to fit cruise control. thanks for all the advice, think i am going to like it here.

As an aside inside the center console, their is a small black box, with what looks like a mini cd slot in it, looks aftermarket any thoughts, can't follow the leads that were allready plugged into the rear of centre console, but they may go to this box, although the plugs on the back look grey.

Cheers Chris

IMG_0775.JPG

Thats what i thought, mini disc player, try and get a pic of it tommorrow with a camera, phone wasn't to good in there.

Cheers Chris

Could be a mini disc player, but that head unit (same as mine) has a mini disc player.

Could be a lot of things. Japanese owners are renowned for adding all sorts of gizmos.

Could be a toll card reader, although the Alphie also has one of those as standard rhs in lower dash.

I am intrigued what 'box' you will have.

You can buy a FM band expander for a few pounds; although reports on their effectiveness are mixed.

Hi Roger, here is a pic of the whatever with disc slot inside the centre console, played with all the buttons today and rolled the screen out, inside their seems to be 2 slots cd and poss mini disc, and their is touchscreen option for MD, found the setting for the hard drive, it has one, and their is music on it, is their any way of brightening the screen up, camera screens are very dim, re radio the dealer as part of the package, fits a box which is £350 which does all sorts of things usb input bluetooth hands free uk sat nav etc , but was out of stock be here this weekend let you know exactly what is when its in.

Cheers Chris

IMG_0778.JPG

41 minutes ago, rallychief said:

Hi Roger, here is a pic of the whatever with disc slot inside the centre console, played with all the buttons today and rolled the screen out, inside their seems to be 2 slots cd and poss mini disc, and their is touchscreen option for MD, found the setting for the hard drive, it has one, and their is music on it, is their any way of brightening the screen up, camera screens are very dim, re radio the dealer as part of the package, fits a box which is £350 which does all sorts of things usb input bluetooth hands free uk sat nav etc , but was out of stock be here this weekend let you know exactly what is when its in.

Cheers Chris

IMG_0778.JPG

OK, so I'm guessing.

It is a mini disc, probably a secondary unit for the roof screen (which I don't have) so cannot confirm !

Or just a more hi-fi unit than the OEM one. 

Yes the brightness can be changed from the head unit, but I cannot remember how !

I'll try and play tomorrow. Eightseater.blog.com is good on the head unit

It does not brighten much, contrast too, along with various spatial faders.

Many members replace the head units, personal preference, many, many more functions.  

The replacement screens are usually much brighter, but some installations will loose camera or steering wheel controls.

I find the OEM unit more than satisfactory.

I have a conversion so sound is a little muffled from the rear speakers anyway.

There is a premium 12 speaker system (which I don't have) that is reported to be very good.

I have a lot of DVDs (which you cannot watch on the move as there is a lookout system (which can be overridden)) and CDs.

How do I get Hi-Fi ?

When parked, I use a high end HD PC with high quality Bose Bluetooth speakers running from a leisure battery, or the EHU.

The real bonus is the sound is Private and my dog doesn't sing along !

I considered making a hood type visor from Plasticard, which would be very easy, but never did (yet).

I'll have a play tomorrow and, hopefully give you a button sequence if I can.

The JPNZ Owners Manual is very good, but does not cover the HDD head units, (eightseater does it that very well).

Forgot. the CD slot plays DVDs.

I was most surprised it plays my Region 2 PAL discs when I tried it.

21 hours ago, rallychief said:

Hi Roger tried Eightseater.blog.com got 500 internal server error message, do you have a link.

Cheers Chris

I forgot to mention; you needed to search for the exact address.

eightseaters.blogspot.com

Try that

Ok copied and pasted that into search, and that found it, had to do a lot of searching, but eventually found, the part that shows how to set up all the functions, on the headunit, thanks for that, just a thought does anybody make a set of transfers/decals for the hard buttons in english, thought it might be something a lot of people would buy

On 6/19/2024 at 8:24 PM, rallychief said:

Hi Roger tried Eightseater.blog.com got 500 internal server error message, do you have a link.

Cheers Chris

Brightness button sequence.

Lower row, second from left, two sliders.