Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Breakdown insurance advice

Hi. I'm on verge of buying my first campervan ever. As I'll often be on my own I want breakdown cover.  Some insurers seem to stop insuring vehicles over 15 years old....which imported Alphards are likely to be! Anyone found good cover? Also general motor insurance advice welcome! Thanks

I opened a Nationwide flex plus current account. It costs £13 a month and gives personal AA European breakdown cover with no vehicle age limit. I opened it as a joint account with my wife so we both get cover for no additional cost. You also get travel and gadget insurance as well. 

3 hours ago, Francie said:

Hi. I'm on verge of buying my first campervan ever. As I'll often be on my own I want breakdown cover.  Some insurers seem to stop insuring vehicles over 15 years old....which imported Alphards are likely to be! Anyone found good cover? Also general motor insurance advice welcome! Thanks

If you bank with Lloyds they offer breakdown insurance on some accounts.

Covers the account holder on any vehicle they are in, driver or as a passenger.

Shall I change your vehicle year for you ?

54 minutes ago, Francie said:

Wow. That sounds like a good deal. Thanks smurf.

I certainly think so 😁. I should also add that we don't actually use the current account, I just make sure there is £13 in it each month to cover the account fee. There is no requirement to use the account in any way. 

13 minutes ago, Rojie said:

Sorry, how do you mean,change the vehicle year?

1 minute ago, smurf said:

I certainly think so 😁. I should also add that we don't actually use the current account, I just make sure there is £13 in it each month to cover the account fee. There is no requirement to use the account in any way. 

Ok - still cheaper than the quote I got! But how long have you had the account open? It seems you have to set up a couple of direct debits from the account. Still a good possibility. Thanks 

25 minutes ago, Rojie said:

Thanks Rojie - I use the Halifax... but between you and Smurf am wondering why! 

I don't understand the vehicle year change suggestion....

Just now, Francie said:

oh yes, hadn't seen my typo - yes please! Although 2017 is just a guess as have not yet bought it!

17 minutes ago, Francie said:

Ok - still cheaper than the quote I got! But how long have you had the account open? It seems you have to set up a couple of direct debits from the account. Still a good possibility. Thanks 

I presume you have looked at the account transfer requirements to get a signing up fee?  I didn't transfer an account, just opened a new one. No direct debits and no money going in and out except £13 a month. I've only had it a few months and I've had no need to use any of the included perks, so I can't give a full recommendation. I haven't had a need to use vehicle breakdown cover since 1999, and long may it continue 🤞

On 7/1/2024 at 9:10 PM, Francie said:

Lloyds owns the Halifax.

Worth asking them if they offer insurance with your account.

There may be an account fee, as that is very common nowadays; but you may be paying one already depending on what account you have.

Do not post any bank details on the forum.

The AA covered my 2008 Series 10.

They were a bit cheeky, each year they'd pretty much try and double my premium but a quick call to them would see it back to their new customer discount level.

I still have it for another car, the times I've had to use it they have been truly excellent as well.