Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Possible new owner

Hi everyone,

As my Elgrand E51 got written off by insurance, I'm widening my views also for an Alphard, most probably a 10 series. 

5 hours ago, Alex87 said:

Hi everyone,

As my Elgrand E51 got written off by insurance, I'm widening my views also for an Alphard, most probably a 10 series. 

Good luck, never been in an Elgrand, but our Alphard is streets ahead of our Mazda Bongo. (Apart from 4WD!)

• Thanks 1

I saw a 3 litre advertised on eBay for a cheaper price compared with other, the seller told it needs a new battery but the rest it's ok. Does anyone know a garage in Southend or a mechanic that can come to check the vehicle as I'm from North West and don't know to much about the area.

51 minutes ago, Alex87 said:

I saw a 3 litre advertised on eBay for a cheaper price compared with other, the seller told it needs a new battery but the rest it's ok. Does anyone know a garage in Southend or a mechanic that can come to check the vehicle as I'm from North West and don't know to much about the area.

I had the AA, or RAC, perform a Vehicle Inspection on my potential purchase as I was somewhat distant from the vendor.

Money very well spent, imho.

The inspection was very thorough; with a clear and detailed pro forma written report.

The inspection included OBD, a road test, under vehicle inspection; and an engine bay and fluids check.

It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny.

The OBD picked up rear axle issues, when the bushes had been replaced.

Cause was a disconnected connector ! Fixed in a jiffy, then all clear.

I gained considerable reassurance from the report.

Had there been other issues I could have walked away with my deposit returned; or negotiated a lower price.

So if you make an offer, make sure it is subject to Inspection.

Had the vendor declined an inspection I would have walked away.

The cost is, after all, quite a small investment when compared to the cost of the vehicle.

ps. After the battery is replaced the windows will need to be reset (maybe the moon roof too).

If the vendor does know how to do that beware.

Finally, get the registration and check the MOT history on DVLA.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking at AA/RAC but I don't know thier knowledge about imported vans :)

As it's more than 4 hours drive or train ride I bet it will be equivalent cost to a technician check if it's a lemon. 

If the owner knows about the battery reset that suggests that it's a parasitic drain or alternator issues I presume.

I've check the MOT history and nothing to be scared off in the last years, and what was picked up and failed have invoice that the work had be done( match the miles in MOT history)

1 hour ago, Alex87 said:

I was thinking at AA/RAC but I don't know thier knowledge about imported vans :)

As it's more than 4 hours drive or train ride I bet it will be equivalent cost to a technician check if it's a lemon. 

If the owner knows about the battery reset that suggests that it's a parasitic drain or alternator issues I presume.

I've check the MOT history and nothing to be scared off in the last years, and what was picked up and failed have invoice that the work had be done( match the miles in MOT history)

From memory I paid £300, about 3 years ago; so no doubt higher now.

However, it should be easy enough to find out the exact cost from AA or RAC.

I think you may misunderstand about the battery.

No matter how good the battery, including brand new, if it is disconnected long enough to replace it the windows will almost certainly need resetting.

I am not suggesting parasitic drain or any other issues as the cause for a new battery.

For the cost of a new battery the vendor should replace it before you take delivery.

How long has the current owner owned it ?

Many owners do not replace batteries early enough before they reach end of life.

Maybe that is the case.

Has it been standing unused for a while, as there will be battery drain due to current drain from any equipment not wired through the ignition.

Are you considering a private purchase, or one from a business ?

Regarding the AA / RAC being unfamiliar with Alphards.

Most mechanics are, including official Toyota dealers.

I think the AA / RAC is a far lower risk than someone who claims to be an Alphard expert. 

Finally, if the vehicle has a very recent MOT that maybe reassurance enough for you.

Again, If you are a serious Buyer, the vendor should agree to a brand new MOT certificate as part of the sales contract prior to payment.

If you guarantee to cover the cost of the new MOT (upfront, and not any remedial work)) what does (s)he have to loose?

Is it a Gen 1,pre late 2005, or a Gen 1 facelift, late 2005 to 2008 ? There is quite a difference, especially with the V6 model

Good Luck, whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1