Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

2.4 Vs 3.0 reliability and common issues?

Hi all. 

Apologies if this has been discussed to death, I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant. 

We're in the market for an alphard/ vellfire and went to look at some today. 

I test drove one wth the 3.0v6 and one with the 2.4.

There wasn't much in it in terms of driving experience - the 3.0 was a bit smoother maybe.

Is there a consensus on which is the better or more reliable engine? I read that the 3.0 is a bit difficult to change the rear bank of spark plugs, but it's there anything else to look out for? 

Also, this particular van is 4wd, anything I should be aware of regarding that? I figure it'll be a bit worse on fuel, but just want to make sure it's not going to grenade itself. 

Any advice is much appreciated. 

Both engines are bullet proof if regular serviced 3.0 engines to do rear spark plugs you need to remove the inlet manifold with is time consuming at least 2 hour job 2.4 easier to work on . All parts for both engines are available and all service parts suspension parts there is plenty of help on the forum when you need it just ask .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matty said:

Hi all. 

Apologies if this has been discussed to death, I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant. 

We're in the market for an alphard/ vellfire and went to look at some today. 

I test drove one wth the 3.0v6 and one with the 2.4.

There wasn't much in it in terms of driving experience - the 3.0 was a bit smoother maybe.

Is there a consensus on which is the better or more reliable engine? I read that the 3.0 is a bit difficult to change the rear bank of spark plugs, but it's there anything else to look out for? 

Also, this particular van is 4wd, anything I should be aware of regarding that? I figure it'll be a bit worse on fuel, but just want to make sure it's not going to grenade itself. 

Any advice is much appreciated. 

On the 4WD versions it is quite important to ensure all wheels and tyres are the same size and similar wear.

Amazing, thanks for the info guys. All going well I should be placing my order next week or so 

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2024 at 9:41 PM, Picasso said:

Both engines are bullet proof if regular serviced 3.0 engines to do rear spark plugs you need to remove the inlet manifold with is time consuming at least 2 hour job 2.4 easier to work on . All parts for both engines are available and all service parts suspension parts there is plenty of help on the forum when you need it just ask .

Hi Picasso, I'm considering going to look at a 2010 Vellfire Z Platinum  which is fitted with a 2.4 engine.  I have read a few reviews online which advise that the 2.4 engine use oil & not very reliable due to this. Not sure if this would have the same engine they refer too.  Shame, as its put me off going to look.  Do you think it would be wise to look for ones with 3.0 or 3.5 engine?  

It was the American version of the 2.4 engine  that had a oil usage problem not the jdm import all jdm versions are bullet proof if well serviced regularly I do a oil change on mine every 5000 miles 

• Like 1

My 2.4 (hybrid) has never used any oil and it is always clean almost as new when checked. I always check the 

levels weekly. It has never used any coolant either.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...