Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Head unit advice

On 10/28/2021 at 10:24 AM, SupaDave said:

The bandwith doesn't go above anything other than radio 2 on Jap imports I'm afraid. You could get a bandwidth expander or just connect your phone via bluetooth & play radio stations from all over the world via your data. I've deleted all my hard drive & G book stuff. Can't fully remember how I did it but it was fairly easy with google lens on my phone. If you want to message me I can go through it again for you.

Hi thought I'd mention I tried expander and was a waist of time and money but bought a pure 400 digital radio from amazon £55 ish or £120 from halfords only small ,stick it where you like on dash or screen, set your radio in car  to a fm channel not in use and new digital radio to same fm channel, really easy to use and there's absolutely loads of digital radio channels to choose from ,no need to change your radio in your dash,plays through your car speakers 

Edited by Mickw

17 hours ago, Mickw said:

Hi thought I'd mention I tried expander and was a waist of time and money but bought a pure 400 digital radio from amazon £55 ish or £120 from halfords only small ,stick it where you like on dash or screen, set your radio in car  to a fm channel not in use and new digital radio to same fm channel, really easy to use and there's absolutely loads of digital radio channels to choose from ,no need to change your radio in your dash,plays through your car speakers 

Hi Mick,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

More expensive than an expander but way, way, simpler. No dash to remove, which, to me, is a very risky business !

I have checked this out on Amazon and ebay, looks great.

My only question is "Does it need a phone to work ?"

I think not, but hope you can confirm that.

Does it need a separate aerial ?

I have been looking at an Xtrons unit to fit under the passenger seat and input it through the VTR inputs.

Hi no  need for a phone but can bluetooth your phone using there free app off Google play, enables you to press a button on pure 400 unit and it saves the song for you ,free for a year then a small charge,doesn't let you use phone for hands free calls,it comes with a very small areal which sticks to top of windscreen  that is attached to a black box just above ,twice size of a small box of matches, that has a magnet attached which slides under head lining to earth it,a wire goes down side of windscreen with sticky pads supplied, or hide it ,this is power supply for digital areal, goes in cigarette lighter,same wire has two connectors on it ,a USB and 3.5 mm jack USB goes in cigarette lighter using connector supplied or using another attachment can go in jack on radio,so connects straight to it,if you want it can be solderd into wiring behind radio for power supply and USB plugs into connector supplied so wiring out of way,pure 400 unit has a stand supplied with a sticky pad so attach we're convenient, comes with two aaa battery's which last ages,so no wires, plenty of instructions, if it is connected by jack it is a perfect connection so great sound,I've ordered a 20 pin to jack connector and female to female connector so hopefully will use this instead of jack input as radio doesn't have one,as it's digital it automatically tunes all stations for you like a TV then just turn dial until it shows station you want to listen too and press ,no tuning required. 

Edited by Mickw
Forgot about tuning

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, Chris.ac said:

On 20series headset - 2nd physical button, then 1st screen button, then the left screen button is mute, with 7 screen buttons adjusting volumn from loud whisper to in your face screaming

IMG_20211108_143628[1].jpg

IMG_20211108_143640[1].jpg

IMG_20211108_143655[1].jpg

The long button under the mute button is the 'auto adjust volume with speed of vehicle'

Chris, we have a Vellfire with this same head unit. If you have any more info about it or what it can do I would appreciate it.

Have you fitted a band/frequency expander? If so which did you use?

Hi I've had an email about your radio ,not sure it's meant for me as yours is a different head unit  ,but for me a frequency changer is a waist of money and time as they only increase your radio range very slightly, you will be disappointed, you can't change Japanese radio frequency to pick up British radio or TV if fitted,installing a pure 400 or the (600 which will work with your phone) to is much easier and a lot less expensive ,keeps everything else working on the unit without having to pay £400 plus a lot more ,depends on what you want,would recommend( pure 600) as workes with your phone,because its digital its future proof, hope that helps 

17 minutes ago, Mickw said:

Hi I've had an email about your radio ,not sure it's meant for me as yours is a different head unit  ,but for me a frequency changer is a waist of money and time as they only increase your radio range very slightly, you will be disappointed, you can't change Japanese radio frequency to pick up British radio or TV if fitted,installing a pure 400 or the (600 which will work with your phone) to is much easier and a lot less expensive ,keeps everything else working on the unit without having to pay £400 plus a lot more ,depends on what you want,would recommend( pure 600) as workes with your phone,because its digital its future proof, hope that helps 

Thanks, will have a look at the Pure units.

• 7 months later...

I am in the process of buying a Vellfire 2010 model, and was wondering if anyone can give me a ball park figure of getting the head unit upgraded professionally.

Also what is the general consensus regarding whether the upgrade is worth it or not.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Van Helsing said:

I am in the process of buying a Vellfire 2010 model, and was wondering if anyone can give me a ball park figure of getting the head unit upgraded professionally.

Also what is the general consensus regarding whether the upgrade is worth it or not.

When you say upgrade, do you mean getting carplay/android auto added, or a full replacement?

I still for the most part BT connect my phone and use android apps like tunein radio to provide radio streams.

The upgrade unit that some dealers are selling works fine, I did a self installation, so it only cost around £180, instead of the £350ish being bandied about.

for the price, I can use the headunit screen to display waze/sygic, I have some audio apps, and mirroring seems to work perfectly fine, the good thing is, switch away from aux input, and everything else on head unit works as standard, even the cameras cut in when they are supposed to.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:43 PM, Chris.ac said:

When you say upgrade, do you mean getting carplay/android auto added, or a full replacement?

I still for the most part BT connect my phone and use android apps like tunein radio to provide radio streams.

The upgrade unit that some dealers are selling works fine, I did a self installation, so it only cost around £180, instead of the £350ish being bandied about.

for the price, I can use the headunit screen to display waze/sygic, I have some audio apps, and mirroring seems to work perfectly fine, the good thing is, switch away from aux input, and everything else on head unit works as standard, even the cameras cut in when they are supposed to.

What did you install? Do you have the link for the one that you bought? Thanks. How complicated and how long did it take you?

6 hours ago, Kramerica said:

What did you install? Do you have the link for the one that you bought? Thanks. How complicated and how long did it take you?

It wasn't a replacement, it was a small unit just for radio leaving your existing unit alone,this is for any car,van lorry etc,tune your existing radio to a frequency, the new unit to same frequency, the new unit has all the necessary digital radio aerial etc to pick up stations, it's a small unit sits on top of your dash or wear ever you want to put it,it's just an easy way without taking your existing unit out,portable GPS units now connect to phones too play films etc music, I really wasn't that bothered to go to any trouble as I don't listen to radio that much just cd which it plays anyway, just put pure digital car radio in search, but it sounds like your wanting much more its (pure high way 600)look in amazon

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:43 PM, Chris.ac said:

How long did it take you? Which unit did you buy for carplay? Thanks

22 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Took me about 2hours, but this was to discover the wires needed, some routing of wires and trying different ways to route the flexi connector to the screen.

I bought this: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPcGuRy

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kramerica said:

It depends on what head unit you already have installed, i chose this one because i wanted the touchscreen to work a the controller.

THe principle is mostly the same on all units though, and there are various places on aliexpress selling similar units

• Thanks 1