Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Locking wheel nuts.

Hi,just a reminder, alloy wheels do tend to be stolen, so I have purchased a set of 4 locking wheel nuts with the key socket. If anyone else purchases a set, remember to retain the 4 wheel nuts you will have spare and put them in a bag with the key socket, It is a good idea to put the bag in the locker with the jack and wheel brace. I also intend to buy an extra key socket to put elsewhere in the vehicle.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:27 AM, starider said:

Hi,just a reminder, alloy wheels do tend to be stolen, so I have purchased a set of 4 locking wheel nuts with the key socket. If anyone else purchases a set, remember to retain the 4 wheel nuts you will have spare and put them in a bag with the key socket, It is a good idea to put the bag in the locker with the jack and wheel brace. I also intend to buy an extra key socket to put elsewhere in the vehicle.

Hello again,

Where did you buy your locking wheel nuts ?

Hi Rojie, Sorry for the delay in answering, I purchased the locking wheel nuts from:- sales@wheelpartsdirect.com   and are a set of McGard  21156SL  12 x 1.5 FLAT 35mm Chrome Locking Wheel Nuts. You can buy cheaper ones, but the quality of these are of typical German manufacture. I'm not sure which model Alphard you have, but it's worth checking with the seller. Some alloys have a tapered seating for the wheel nuts, but many of the Alphards like mine, have a flat seating with a large washer. Hope this helps.

Regards Tony.

Edited by starider
Bad Grammar

17 hours ago, starider said:

Hi Rojie, Sorry for the delay in answering, I purchased the locking wheel nuts from:- sales@wheelpartsdirect.com   and are a set of McGard  21156SL  12 x 1.5 FLAT 35mm Chrome Locking Wheel Nuts. You can buy cheaper ones, but the quality of these are of typical German manufacture. I'm not sure which model Alphard you have, but it's worth checking with the seller. Some alloys have a tapered seating for the wheel nuts, but many of the Alphards like mine, have a flat seating with a large washer. Hope this helps.

Regards Tony.

Hi Tony,

I just bought the same prior to reading your reply. Great Minds...

Mine are still in the post.

Have you fitted yours yet ?

I am a little concerned my adjustable torque wrench won't go high enough.

Maybe a trip to my local garage that work on my Fords...

I agree with everything you mention above. I believe mine are flat seating too.

I found wheelpartsdirect very helpful.

They are not cheap; but nor are the original wheels.

Other readers. Please note the remark about Flat Seating. Check before you buy.

I am also looking into other security measures. I need to understand the wireless locking system a little better.

I am concerned about unscrupulous scanners when travelling.

Hi again, I hope to fit mine tomorrow[weather permitting]. I have used the Alphard a couple of times since fitting the new wheel studs and need to check the tightness of all the studs, as at the time I fitted the mudflaps all round[plus reflectors on the rears, lights up like a Christmas Tree now!].

For what they cost a reasonably good quality Torque Wrench is worth having.

9 hours ago, starider said:

Hi again, I hope to fit mine tomorrow[weather permitting]. I have used the Alphard a couple of times since fitting the new wheel studs and need to check the tightness of all the studs, as at the time I fitted the mudflaps all round[plus reflectors on the rears, lights up like a Christmas Tree now!].

For what they cost a reasonably good quality Torque Wrench is worth having.

80 foot pounds or 110 Newton metres. I haven't checked my rear reflectors yet. Only just got my Alphie back from conversion.

I have a pre winter inspection appointment on Tuesday with my local Toyota dealer.

I may ask them to fit my locking wheel nuts, if I have them by then.

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2021 at 11:57 PM, starider said:

Regards Tony.

I bought some of these from the above mentioned company.

Went to fit them yesterday, post MOT, and they don't fit properly.

I have noticed the ones supplied to me are 21156SU.

I am in discussions with the supplier, as they are just out of the return period !

Hi,can't remember all the set numbers but if my memory serves me well the 21156SU are either a different thread size or not the flat washer fitting. The set I purchased are as given in my previous post. I believe a returns period is not binding, it's worth reding the "sale of goods act". If you ordered the set I quoted ,it's their mistake.

Good luck with your negociations!

17 hours ago, starider said:

Hi,can't remember all the set numbers but if my memory serves me well the 21156SU are either a different thread size or not the flat washer fitting. The set I purchased are as given in my previous post. I believe a returns period is not binding, it's worth reding the "sale of goods act". If you ordered the set I quoted ,it's their mistake.

Good luck with your negociations!

Apparently the only difference, I am told, between your set and mine is the pattern of the key.

The parts, I am told, are identical apart, of course, for the key pattern.

Against my better judgement I will buy a 'bigger' toque wrench tomorrow and try to fit them myself.

So I will be able to check for myself. The mechanic said they would not tighten correctly !

Maybe he was in too much of a hurry !

I am left hoping that the mechanic hasn't damaged anything. especially the studs.

The supplier has accepted a return if I choose to go that route.

One of the flat washers does not even pass over the nut !

Hopefully, I'll figure it out without too many damaged knuckles .

Thanks for your help.

OK, so at the request of the seller, I have removed a wheel nut,

It is definitely different to the new security ones supplied.

Firstly the diameter of the security nut, where it passes through the wheel, is smaller; which explains why my mechanic said they were too loose !

It also has a tapered end, not flat as the new one does !

The new nut is quite a bit shorter than the original ! Which may not matter other than cosmetically.

It could even be an advantage as it makes the security nut noticeably different to the others on each wheel.

I am left wondering if the 'flat' reference is relevant to the shoulder of the nut, ie, where it presses the wheel to the wheel stud; or the end of the actual nut

Confused, I have checked the Alphard EPC.

The nut drawing definitely, imho, shows the end of the wheel nut to be tapered.

It may not make any difference, but I AM concerned.

I am sending photos off to the supplier and will post them here for awareness.

(Photos will be added later).

The leftmost nut is the original, the rightmost the new security nut.

AG4A2185.JPG

AG4A2186.JPG

Edited by Rojie
Addition of two photos

Hi Starider,

I respectfully suggest you check one of your new wheel nuts.

One the one hand you have the correct ones, unlike me.

On the other, you may have incorrect ones as I have.

Both your and mine have the same part number (except for the security code designation).

The other alternative is that my (original) wheel nuts are incorrect, but they do fit correctly and conform, visually, to the EPC drawing.

Just to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Starrider, and fellow members,

If you are considering buying McGard locking wheel nuts for your beloved Alphie this will be of interest to you.

I have solved the mystery of why my mechanic could not fit the locking wheel nuts !

With my first set one of the washers would not pass over the new security nut,

I returned them, as agreed with the vendor, and await my refund.

The second set, sourced direct from Germany, could not, initially, be fitted either ! Why ?

If you refer to the photo above, the original nut (on the left) has a captive washer, the new security nut does not.

The lateral play on the original washer is almost zero.

The lateral play on the security nut is probably about a sixteenth of an inch.

When fitting the new nut, there is a distinct tendency for the washer to fall from the nut and drop onto the thread of the wheel bolt.

In such a position, it is impossible to tighten the new security nut ! You may be lucky as this does not happen every time, but when it does ....

So, while resting on your hands and knees you have to manually lift the washer (while the nut is in the way) and hold it in the correct position while you hand tighten the new nut. NOT particularly easy.

So, just imagine you have a flat tyre, on the offside, in the pouring rain, on a windy day, on a very busy A road, in the dark (holding a torch) !!!

Even one of the rescue services will not find the task easy !.

So, as Starider says, you MUST keep at least one of the original nuts which will fit perfectly, without hassle.

When safe, the original nut can be replaced with the security nut.

I suggest the security key and one original nut are kept in a very accessible place.

So, whilst I feel the product is actually quite good, I cannot recommend it as fitting it in an emergency situation could be very difficult.

In an emergency, I suppose, you could run to safety with only four wheel nuts. I wouldn't, and I don't think my insurance company would be too pleased either.

Edited by Rojie
Typo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Just in case it helps anyone.

i just had to get my locknut off without the key as garage didn’t put it back in car after last service and I hadn’t realised. Came off really easy by tapping on a 19mm 12 point socket as suggested on YouTube so will not replace with lock nuts. 

However I notice that all of my wheel nuts are 12x15 tapered nuts. It’s a 2004  2.4 hybrid.