Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Wiring for caravan socket

Hi, about to wire the socket for caravan electrics, have done this many times in years gone by and I thought ,to save time, if anyone can tell me which side rear lamp cluster is best to wire into. It would be the side where the main rear section of the wiring looms comes from the front. Any special things to look for? Many thanks.

https://toyota.epc-data.com/alphard/mnh10w/130283/electric/8202/#5

https://toyota.epc-data.com/alphard/mnh10w/130283/electric/8202/#6

Hi Starider,

This shows the wiring loom (for a Gen facelift); a pity there is no 'sister' wiring diagram.

You may find it helpful. I hope so.

Hopefully you can deduce, at least, something from it !

Hopefully better than nothing !

Good Luck.

Have you asked your friendly converter, quite close by, for help ?

Edited by Rojie
Addition

Hi Rojie, will print rest off tomorrow as the printer has just jammed! According to the drivers handbook, to rmove the rear light assembly the two screws need to be removed and the whole assembly pulls out,tried this a while back. but would not just pull out, so put the scews back and left it for later, have you removed either of the light assemblies on your Alphard?

8 hours ago, starider said:

Hi Rojie, will print rest off tomorrow as the printer has just jammed! According to the drivers handbook, to remove the rear light assembly the two screws need to be removed and the whole assembly pulls out, tried this a while back. but would not just pull out, so put the screws back and left it for later, have you removed either of the light assemblies on your Alphard?

Hello Starider, good morning.

No I haven't. My policy, with all my vehicles, is leave well alone.

If any need attention, I get a professional to do the job; otherwise things tend to get worse !

If you need to replace any of the rear light bulbs, the rear light assembly needs to be taken off ,which should be a reasonably easy job. As the operation is mentioned in the drivers handbook,it seems to describe a simple bulb replacement, so will have another look.

12 hours ago, starider said:

Hi Rojie, will print rest off tomorrow as the printer has just jammed! According to the drivers handbook, to rmove the rear light assembly the two screws need to be removed and the whole assembly pulls out,tried this a while back. but would not just pull out, so put the scews back and left it for later, have you removed either of the light assemblies on your Alphard?

Took off my rear lights on the vellfire, removed the obvious screws and found that there is a hidden large plastic tab which sits to the front edge of the unit that required a slide in or out to fit or remove.

I recall you can't simply pull it off, you have to nudge/slide it backwards, I found a firm push with the palm moved it free.

Hope that helps somewhat...

• 3 weeks later...

At last managed to wire in the caravan/trailer socket. Firstly I worked out how to remove the rear light clusters, as the drivers hand book says:- the two hex.head self tapping bolts need to be removed[down the inner edge of the cluster],there is an open ended clip moulded into the plastic red part of the lens which when the lens is refitted, slides over a mushroom shaped clip on the bodywork to retain the rear of the lens. Pulling the lens rearward is a bit of a struggle but I overcame this by covering the blade off a large-ish flat screwdriver with the blade covered with  cloth to prevent damage to the paintwork, then halfway between the top and bottom edge of the red part of the light cluster,very very carefully prised the cluster back and off. When I replaced the clusters I smeared Petroleum jelly around the clip to aid future removal. Make sure when the cluster is pushed back on: the peg on the bottom edge locates in its hole and the clip slides under the mushroom clip. It sound a little complicated, but once you see how it all works there should be no problem. A tip! if like I did you accidentally blow a fuse[in my case the sidelight circuit] be prepared for a major hunt for the fuse box! It took several hours of head scratching to locate the fuses I needed[There are 4 fuse boxes]. When I eventually found the correct f/box, my relief was short lived as it required the removal of the glovebox,the panel that used to hold a flare! I eventually managed ,using a mirror and moving huge bundles of wires to one side and some long nosed pliers to remove fuse 13 and replace it. The little plastic fuse remover supplied is pretty useless as it will not grip the mini fuses adequately.  At least all is done and works as it should.

Another tip, if you didn't know, all the light bulbs,sides,indicators,brake, are large CAPLESS.

1 hour ago, starider said:

At last managed to wire in the caravan/trailer socket. Firstly I worked out how to remove the rear light clusters, as the drivers hand book says:- the two hex.head self tapping bolts need to be removed[down the inner edge of the cluster],there is an open ended clip moulded into the plastic red part of the lens which when the lens is refitted, slides over a mushroom shaped clip on the bodywork to retain the rear of the lens. Pulling the lens rearward is a bit of a struggle but I overcame this by covering the blade off a large-ish flat screwdriver with the blade covered with  cloth to prevent damage to the paintwork, then halfway between the top and bottom edge of the red part of the light cluster,very very carefully prised the cluster back and off. When I replaced the clusters I smeared Petroleum jelly around the clip to aid future removal. Make sure when the cluster is pushed back on: the peg on the bottom edge locates in its hole and the clip slides under the mushroom clip. It sound a little complicated, but once you see how it all works there should be no problem. A tip! if like I did you accidentally blow a fuse[in my case the sidelight circuit] be prepared for a major hunt for the fuse box! It took several hours of head scratching to locate the fuses I needed[There are 4 fuse boxes]. When I eventually found the correct f/box, my relief was short lived as it required the removal of the glovebox,the panel that used to hold a flare! I eventually managed ,using a mirror and moving huge bundles of wires to one side and some long nosed pliers to remove fuse 13 and replace it. The little plastic fuse remover supplied is pretty useless as it will not grip the mini fuses adequately.  At least all is done and works as it should.

Another tip, if you didn't know, all the light bulbs,sides,indicators,brake, are large CAPLESS.

The Owners Manual, for the Gen1, published by JPNZ, provides illustrations of the fuse boxes, the fuse locations and the fuse values.

This manual is a MUST for owners of Gen 1 vehicles. About £25 on eBay.

NB, It is not a maintenance manual.

The manual certainly shows the location of the various fuse boxes and the description of each location, but the sketches are very small and not cleary shown hence the time taken to even see the fuses. The two in the engine compartment are pretty standard and easily seen and checked, but both the ones in the cabin are difficult to find and even more difficult to see clearly, trim must be removed on both the one adjacent to the drivers seat and the one adjacent to the passenger seat. If I hadn't had the Owners Manual I would not of even found the two up under the dash let alone been able to see into them without a mirror. If anyone needs to replace the rear side light fuse,once you have found the rows of fuses you need to change fuse number 13.

Hi Starider,

I found the passenger side quite easy to access.

The lower glove box can be removed very easily. It is also easy to refit.

I agree the location is a neck breaker.

My point about the manual being if you know which fuse is the most likely culprit you can remove just that one, and not all of them, one at a time, until you strike lucky.

Fortunately, so far, I haven't needed to change fuses.

Hi, I agree the glovebox and trim are easily removed and replaced, but easy access to the fuses is greatly impared by the mass of wiring which crosses under the fuses,this is so bulky and inflexible that you can't move it aside,the little plastic removing tool is totally inadequate and impossible to use and the fuses having been undisturbed since manufacture, are extremely difficult to pull out,Lets hope we all do not have to change fuses. I certainly made sure which fuse I needed to remove, the diagrams of each numbered fuse  it's location, it's value and which circuit it protects,are excellent in the Owners Handbook.

One bonus with having to remove the glovebox was that I was able to inspect the Aircon filter on the fan, which was absolutely filthy and certainly needs replacing. If anyone knows of a supplier I would appreciate details.

Belay the request for a filter supplier, our motor factor ran one over from Barnstaple. If anyone is interested the one supplied was a purflux cabin filter AHC210 and fitted easily.

Wiring for the lights can be found here:

http://fsm.japanclassic.ru/toyota/2002.5_7a037_alphard_anh1,mnh1/x339/servinfo/x339i0307000018_base.html

Its in japanese, so you will need to print out and hold your phone up and use google translate or something, but you at least have the colours and routing information, socket designations, fuses, relays etc.

When the rear light fuse blew and I had located the fuses,the fuse was quite difficult to pull out, but as I had a quantity of mini fuses I quickly found a replacement with the correct value, but it would not push right into place,looking at the one which had blown it was slightly different in that the blades were shorter. I had a troll through ebay and found the same short bladed fuses. I have since ordered the correct size and when next needing to replace fuses in that particular fuse box I'll change the oversize one.

So if anyone wants to carry spare fuses the Ebay number is:- 291079597267.

10 hours ago, starider said:

When the rear light fuse blew and I had located the fuses,the fuse was quite difficult to pull out, but as I had a quantity of mini fuses I quickly found a replacement with the correct value, but it would not push right into place,looking at the one which had blown it was slightly different in that the blades were shorter. I had a troll through ebay and found the same short bladed fuses. I have since ordered the correct size and when next needing to replace fuses in that particular fuse box I'll change the oversize one.

So if anyone wants to carry spare fuses the Ebay number is:- 291079597267.

Good to know. Thanks.