Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Toyota IMZ-FE Non-Interference Engine

It's comforting to know that my 3L V6 engine is an non-interference engine, and if the inevitable ever happens to the Timing belt, and snaps, then the valve and pistons won't be harmed due to its robust design.

Has anyone ever had their timing belt break on this engine?

Screenshot_7.png

More Info here: http://australiancar.reviews/1MZ-FE-engine.php

Edited by AlphaMZ

1 hour ago, AlphaMZ said:

It's comforting to know that my 3L V6 engine is an non-interference engine, and if the inevitable ever happens to the Timing belt, and snaps, then the valve and pistons won't be harmed due to its robust design.

Has anyone ever had their timing belt break on this engine?

Screenshot_7.png

More Info here: http://australiancar.reviews/1MZ-FE-engine.php

Hi AlphaMZ,

Thanks for this.

I wrote about this engine feature several months ago.

I also wrote about the timing belt.

My local Toyota Dealer, Snows, suggested that 1MZ FE timing belts should be renewed every ten years; independent of how many miles the vehicle has travelled in that time, or, indeed, its overall mileage. They also mentioned they often last for 150k 200k kilometres !

How they know that I am not quite sure !

Many new owners choose to renew the belt and water pump shortly after purchasing their vehicle; just in case.

But it is, as you say, reassuring to know that if the belt snaps you will get stranded, but your engine won't get wrecked.

12 minutes ago, Rojie said:

They also mentioned they often last for 150k 200k kilometres !

high quality robust belts; my van never came with any Service history, but generally the Japanese are keen to maintain their cars; the UK trader I bought it from wasn't willing to put a cambelt on it, so will have to inspect the wear; but as you rightly said the water pump, and possible tensioner, might as well be changed!