Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Lead Calcium Battery

Rojie

I have just renewed my main battery.

The battery fitted was a lead calcium type.

Looking at the Toyota Alphard EPC data; the correct type was fitted.

I think it had suffered neglect during the Covid period (by the dealer, not myself).

So, it turns out, that many older battery charges won't, adequately, charge Lead Calcium batteries.

It seems old chargers will charge older batteries, but the battery will not become fully charged.

The calcium versions need a higher charging voltage; they are, of course, still 12V

I bought a smart charger, by no means cheap (more than the battery itself !), that does support Lead Calcium batteries.

If you have an old charger, mine is ancient, you probably need a newer one.

If you have a smart charger you could be OK; worth checking though.

My new charger works in the van, but I still removed the battery for 'safety'.

If you 'lay up' your Alphie for winter, this could be relevant for you.

The new smart charger can also be left connected for long periods.

trickle charging for long periods is fine; if out on the street, buy a solar panel battery trickle charger, and do clean up, and spray those battery terminals with something like PlusGas. If you do have to change your battery, don't forget to recalibrate all your windows!

2 hours ago, AlphaMZ said:

trickle charging for long periods is fine; if out on the street, buy a solar panel battery trickle charger, and do clean up, and spray those battery terminals with something like PlusGas. If you do have to change your battery, don't forget to recalibrate all your windows!

I read that trickle charging will not fully charge a lead calcium battery.

They need close to 16 volts !

Maybe what I have read is 'marketing'; but I do know that my new charger 'reconditioned' my old battery.

My old, conventional, charger didn't get close.

I will try the PlusGas approach, although I have some WD40) Contact Cleaner somewhere. (Not the 'normal' WD40).

It remains to be seen how good my new battery will be.

I have read, with the MZ G edition, with all the electrical options, that it is wise not to operate tailgates and slide doors (much) unless the engine is running.

Not very practical when you are camping out, I know.