Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Opening Pandora's Box - removing bonkers aftermarket Japanese audio system

So far I've removed nearly 40kg (!) of aftermarket boxes and wiring. There's still a load left. The original owner must have spent a fortune getting it installed, and doing so would have required removing the entire interior of the van. Nuts.

1652691908762.jpg

1652691908767.jpg

1652691908772.jpg

Forgot to mention - the install included the fabrication of a false floor for the passenger footwell with a plexiglass window  lookinginto an LED backlit 'box' to allow you to see some of the components in action. Also a custom-made centre console to hide 3 amplifiers and some large caps, and an auxiliary battery, 3 miniature monitors and a normal monitor (there were 6 screens in all, dotted around the car). Somebody loved their hifi. A pity that I don't own any CDs or DVDs or I might have left it alone. 

That's a more polite version of what I said when I realised what I'd started!  It's great to see that march of progress though - in the last ten years, stuff like in car TV, video and music playback, sat nav, speed camera detection and so on, has gone from requiring all that gubbins to just a phone and a head unit.

Edited by drahpla

I believe the head unit and DSP are still highly valued in Japan, but I don't speak Japanese and am not sure anyone in Japan would by second hand electrical goods shipped by a foreigner that doesn't speak Japanese. However if anyone knows a route to market then I'd be interested in hearing about it.

1 hour ago, drahpla said:

I believe the head unit and DSP are still highly valued in Japan, but I don't speak Japanese and am not sure anyone in Japan would by second hand electrical goods shipped by a foreigner that doesn't speak Japanese. However if anyone knows a route to market then I'd be interested in hearing about it.

There is a Japanese auction site, is it Yahoo ?

Or a listing on one of the JDM websites ?