Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Alphard 2007 not starting or recognizing key

Happened twice now, where my Alphard has been parked up for a few hours and on returning, the key buttons don’t work at all to open any door. So you need to do it the old fashioned way and actual turn it in the driver door to get in. Which is weird, but worse still the car won’t start after that. No lights, doesn’t turn over, just dead. On both occasions this has happened, I’ve had jump leads with me and have gotten someone to get me started again. I’ve checked the battery and it looks fine. Am I accidentally leaving the headlights on perhaps and missing the warning beeps mistaking them for the doors being open beep when leaving. It’s the lonely thing I can think of. Has anybody else experienced this or has a suggestion before I take it in for a check over? Cheers. 

4 hours ago, Phill Postill said:

Happened twice now, where my Alphard has been parked up for a few hours and on returning, the key buttons don’t work at all to open any door. So you need to do it the old fashioned way and actual turn it in the driver door to get in. Which is weird, but worse still the car won’t start after that. No lights, doesn’t turn over, just dead. On both occasions this has happened, I’ve had jump leads with me and have gotten someone to get me started again. I’ve checked the battery and it looks fine. Am I accidentally leaving the headlights on perhaps and missing the warning beeps mistaking them for the doors being open beep when leaving. It’s the lonely thing I can think of. Has anybody else experienced this or has a suggestion before I take it in for a check over? Cheers. 

Hello Phill,

Welcome to the Forum.

How long have you had your Alphie ?

Go to Halfords and get your battery tested under load.

Is there a date on the battery ?

Silly suggestion, but replace the batteries in your keys.

Do them one at a time !

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated. I've had it for a few months now. I have bought it off my Dad, well buying it off my Dad. I'll take it to Halfords then as you suggest and see if they can shed any light on it after a battery test. I can't see a date on the battery, but I'll ask if Halfords can. 

I changed the key batteries first time it happened, cause that made the most sense to me as to what the issue could be from. So I doubt it is that, now that it has happened again.

I'll comment again so others can see how this hiccup turns out.

20 hours ago, Phill Postill said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated. I've had it for a few months now. I have bought it off my Dad, well buying it off my Dad. I'll take it to Halfords then as you suggest and see if they can shed any light on it after a battery test. I can't see a date on the battery, but I'll ask if Halfords can. 

I changed the key batteries first time it happened, cause that made the most sense to me as to what the issue could be from. So I doubt it is that, now that it has happened again.

I'll comment again so others can see how this hiccup turns out.

Or Kwik Fit

I installed one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Monitor-Campervans-Compatible-bluetooth/dp/B08VHMJYXY

Use an app on your phone to connect to it and monitor your battery.

Will show you the charging status, the cold cranking ability.

Its kinda a plug in and forget about it gizmo, but it at least will give some early warning of problems with either the battery or charging circuitry

• Like 1