Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Which Alphard to buy?

Hi just thought i'd join this club online as i'm considering buying an Alphard in the near future,undecided on 2.4 or 3.0 ltr but need space for two largish dogs and my wife. Looking to use for holidays not a daily runabout,thinking 3.0 ltr probably best as miles per gallon not much different to 2.4.? Martin gtr m/cr area.

2 hours ago, m.patterson said:

Hi just thought I'd join this club online as i'm considering buying an Alphard in the near future, undecided on 2.4 or 3.0 ltr but need space for two largish dogs and my wife. Looking to use for holidays not a daily runabout, thinking 3.0 ltr probably best as miles per gallon not much different to 2.4.? Martin gtr m/cr area.

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum

Alphard will offer plenty of space, rearmost seats fold up sideways providing a huge boot.

2008 is a changeover year.

Gen 1 3.0 litre is belt driven; but a non interference engine (if it snaps)

Gen 2 has 3.5 litre and a chain drive, as does the 2.4.

3.0  has 5 speed, whereas 2.4 has a 4 speed.

Other than different panels and interior, especially the seats, they are very similar.

2008 upwards in comparison to the first series
3.5 has 6 speed box
3.5 does not have rotating seats on the 8 seater model unlike the 10 series wich is a shame as the rotating seats are a cool feature.

3.5 engine and transmission i think is a smoother engine and gear change then the 10 series. Plenty of power. Car Looks slightly smaller on the outside but inside feels similar size to the 10 series.
3.5 economy is slightly worse around town but may do better on runs with it's extra gear.

Rear seats fold up better, much easier to use.

No need to change cambelt as timing chain