Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Complete electrics disaster

H all

2 weeks ago,our 2005 Alphie failed its MoT due to the rear fog light being ‘non working’. It was its second MOT  but 1st with us, and the dealer confirmed the fog light was retro fitted in to the rear reflector. He advised i changed the fuse and indicated which this would be in the passanger side fuse box. Getting to it was almost impossible but luckily the fuse he indicated was one of 2 that could just be reached. He was right and it had blown. I got a new fuse, tried it with engine on, lights on, and still nothing. Checked the fuse and it had blown again.

At this point we decided to give up and booked him in to get it sorted. Leaving the glove box off and blown fuse spot empty.
That’s booked for tomorrow so we have just been out to get him sorted but find the remote fob no longer works. None of the side doors will open and there is nothing at all when we insert or turn the key in the ignition.  Changed the battery in the key fob. Still nothing. Any help is really appreciated! 😞

So there's absolutely no electrical power to anything at all or you just mean the engine won't crank?

If the former and if the battery is not flat then there must be a bunch of other fuses gone. The major fuses in my 2003 are in the engine compartment so I would check those first.

2 hours ago, Meld said:

H all

2 weeks ago,our 2005 Alphie failed its MoT due to the rear fog light being ‘non working’. It was its second MOT  but 1st with us, and the dealer confirmed the fog light was retro fitted in to the rear reflector. He advised i changed the fuse and indicated which this would be in the passanger side fuse box. Getting to it was almost impossible but luckily the fuse he indicated was one of 2 that could just be reached. He was right and it had blown. I got a new fuse, tried it with engine on, lights on, and still nothing. Checked the fuse and it had blown again.

At this point we decided to give up and booked him in to get it sorted. Leaving the glove box off and blown fuse spot empty.
That’s booked for tomorrow so we have just been out to get him sorted but find the remote fob no longer works. None of the side doors will open and there is nothing at all when we insert or turn the key in the ignition.  Changed the battery in the key fob. Still nothing. Any help is really appreciated! 😞

Sounds like a flat battery to me.

You need to try to start with minimum load, lights off, everything off.

Try and charge your battery. Or use jump leads to start, and take a drive for 45 to 60 minutes; which should be enough to get some significant charge into the battery.

Kwik Fit (and others) will test the battery if you can get there.

If a fuse blows immediately like that then there’s a chance there’s a short circuit occurred somewhere.

You can check this with a multimeter. 
If you remove a fuse and test the voltage between the vehicle body somewhere convenient (this will be electrical ground) and each side of the fuse there should be 12 volts one one side and not the other. 
The 12v will be the supply side the dead side is the outgoing side. 
Set the multimeter to resistance and test between the outgoing side and vehicle body again, if the reading is very low you have a short circuit. 
Ask someone to operate switches relevant to the circuit while you test the resistance and open the boot up and down a few times too while you check resistance. I’ve seen wires have there insulation worn off through years of movement inside the rubber tubing where they feed into the door.