Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

New Android Head Unit

Just received an fitted my new head unit from Aliexpress and I thought I would share if anybody wanted to get one. 

The one I got was this one - Car Radio For Toyota Alphard 2008-2021 Rhd Octa Core Android Car Dvd Gps Navigation Car Stereo Carplay Android Auto - Car Multimedia Player - AliExpress

I got the 6gb ram / 128gb memory one as the price was cheaper then the basic ones in the UK. The unit arrived before the due date with all the cables. The only thing I have added in DAB USB unit which is easily fixed in (£28.99 on Amazon).

Fitting was quite easy, however there are a few things to look out for. Mine was probably a bit harder because Micky Mouse had wired in a Sony after market unit so the wiring was all over the place. I found a few wires not connected to anything and these I deduced was connected to the screen aerials. I also had a phone wire that was sleeved with some other wires that had been cut. I assume the previous person thought it was for the reversing camera, but I am suspecting they go to the roof screen. I think I have found the reversing camera wire, but I need to order an adaptor. This was £25 on ebay. Once I had sorted out which was which it was easy fit. I did find a loose earth lead and when I connected it, the car started talking in Japanese. Ended up the earth was the wiring for Toll Road unit.

The unit comes with two USB cables, one I used for the DAB adaptor, the other I ran next to the steering wheel, then added USB socket in the switch hole, to make it look more OEM. There is also a GPS unit. The cable is a bit short so I ran that to the passenger side of the window. It also comes with a 4G areal, which I have not mounted as I don't intend to pay for a data plan for the car, when I have unlimited data on my phone and can make a wifi hotspot.

I booted the unit up, half expecting it to be the cheaper model or worse, not work at all, but it booted up great. It is very smooth and fast. I downloaded and ran AIDA64 to check that the specs had not been faked and it was exactly as it was stated. The steering wheel connection was easy to set up just by selecting the control then pressing the button on the steering wheel.

Now the bad part. Changing over the gear selector was a pain as the original had pins that had been melted, these needed drilling then finding suitable screws to fit in the replacement bezel. I found some old screws from installing hard drives in a PC and these worked fine. Next the little storage unit in the bezel is a darker shade then the replacement bezel. I quite like it but some may not. I did think about wrapping it all in vinyl, but decided not to. Lastly I cant seem to get the top of the bezel to fit. I think there are some little plastic stems on the back that I need to file off. Other then that I am very happy.

I have a connector that I think is the rear camera, if somebody can confirm it, that would be great.

20220726_165729_HDR.jpg

20220726_165754_HDR.jpg

20220726_165805_HDR.jpg

20220726_165845_HDR.jpg

20220726_165905_HDR.jpg

20220726_170107_HDR.jpg

20220726_171811.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great write up Craig.. 

I'm looking around for an Android player. The one you installed looks a solid contender. Would you know if it would be compatible with the the premium 18 speaker surround system? 

Cheers 

Les 

8 hours ago, Lesz said:

Great write up Craig.. 

I'm looking around for an Android player. The one you installed looks a solid contender. Would you know if it would be compatible with the the premium 18 speaker surround system? 

Cheers 

Les 

There is a post on here about that. You have to get some extra's to go with it. The unit will work out of the box with the normal system. You need an adaptor for the rear camera. If you want to be able to change car settings like door locking, window actions and want the unit to display the door status and parking sensors than you need a canbus cable (cost me £30). Then there is another box that you need for the 18 speaker system, which I don't have. I cant remember which post it is but if not that old, but explains what you need.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2022 at 12:42 PM, Gavin Jones said:

Parking sensors - do they still work, I'm not sure how they are connected oringinally, via head unit or otherwise.

the parking sensors utilise the blue square gvif connector to the headunit via the IPA ECU to provide visual feedback.

The IPA ECU also sends an o/p to the amplifier and uses the drivers side speaker or centre speaker where available to provide the beeps and the japanese voice that yells at you.

When I was experimenting, by disconnecting the GVIF connector, the headunit reverted to a different display for the sensors, and the sound persisted, so there may be some data sent via the canbus.

Good morning 

I’ve just bought a 2007 alphard Japanese import, I’ve found instructions on how to change the language, but im

advised I require the SD card for the reversing camera to work. The SD Japanese SD card wasn’t supplied and I’m told I can’t get one and my only option is to replace the head unit . Any advise would be appreciated 

Hi Frank: 

Where did you find the instructions for changing the language? So far my Alphard has taught me the Japanese for "Watch out behind you" (or however that translates into English) when reversing and coming close to something, but it would be good to be able to understand the rest of the extensive vocabulary!

Best from

Nigel

On utube . It’s a video that asks you to download an English language file onto a new SD card then insert the card , you then copy Japanese language file onto the SD as a backup then paste the English language file onto system , deleting the Japanese file off system then turn ignition off turn on and it should be in English . I’ve not done it yet on my own 

175CA2D9-A09C-4CD4-831A-3822C0B5C683.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks, Craig, very informative. Just one quick question (well, probably the first of several, but the rest will take time) - does the radio come with the ability to pick up UK band signals - can I get Radio 4 or stations north of 99.9 FM?  Thanks,  NB

34 minutes ago, Frank1965 said:

I’m finding it impossible to find an original SD card to put in so the reversing camera works 

I looked at the video that you referenced.  It seems that the YouTube video is showing how to change the language on a specific Pioneer head unit and, assuming that that is the unit you have, it looks like they're just using a standard SD card and copying the original Japanese language file on to the SD card to back it up in case of a problem.  It shouldn't be difficult to find a regular SD card so that you can do this.  Good luck, NB

1 minute ago, Frank1965 said:

If you search utube change language on and the model of your radio there will be a video for you to follow but generally following the same pattern 

Thanks, Frank1965.

N

On 9/28/2022 at 9:00 PM, GX58 said:

Thanks, Craig, very informative. Just one quick question (well, probably the first of several, but the rest will take time) - does the radio come with the ability to pick up UK band signals - can I get Radio 4 or stations north of 99.9 FM?  Thanks,  NB

Yes, but you have to get a powered adaptor for the arial. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Craig. I'm new to the forum and my Vellfire came with a UK type head unit which is packing up. So I was very interested in your post. Can you tell me if you had any problems with the fascia and did it need a new one (as advertised on the Aliexpress page. I notice from your photos that the head unit seems to sit just outside the Toyota fascia. Also, can the roof monitor be connected to this one?

Hi Craig after painstakingly searching I ended up having the head unit replaced however I was able to have one fitted that is compatible with the roof monitor 

The reverse camera can be set and turned on via settings there was no need for a SF to do this , I used Google translate to access the settings to get to reverse camera settings but it's easily done