Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Awning fitment

Hi, I decided at last to fit a permanent awning rail as I was not too happy with the magnetic one,which did not fit "grip" the roof evenly, and didn't feel that the magnets would be powerful enough in strong winds.

After some research and a chat with our nearest van converters[who convert mainly VWs} and have a huge amounts of work, they kindly recommended a company who will supply awning rail in any length. We contacted them and they offered to send a small sample at a minimal cost so that we could try to see if the fitment would clear the pop top when dropped down. A little care full measurement and placing the sample in various positions, my wife ordered the rail. When it arrived in an extremely sturdy tube, it was all systems go! The suppliers advised a tube of Sikaflex which is the caravan and motor industry sealer and adhesive. I had previously ordered a small set of round head stainless steel self tapping screws to fix down the rail. I drilled clearance holes through the rail at 4" centres along the length for the self tappers. [I will not give measurements as I would not want to be held liable for mistakes]. We laid the rail in the correct position and marked along the back edge with a marker, this allowed me to"lay" a strip of sealer[ about 1/2"inch wide ] along the roof,then the rail was placed in position and pushed firmly down, it was noted that the sealer squeezed through the drilled holes and worked really well as it sealed the screws when the correct size drill was used for the self tappers to do their job. It was just a matter of wiping off the excess sealer from both edges of the rail.

A small tip: the ends of the rail will need careful filing to remove the burrs left from cutting.

Details:- Supplier--Funky leisure.co.uk             02034114640     sales@funkyleisure.co.uk

Items purchased----VW T4 C-Channel Awning Rail-Length SWB-2.6m Length. Add Sikaflex 1 x 300ml tube Sikaflex 221. Total @ date of purchase £52-98[inc postage].

Depending on how an awning is fitted to a camper, methods of joining may vary. Ours requires a double edge 6mm x 6mm Kador Strip Awning connector and a set of "Figure of Eight"  6mm x 6mm slide along connectors.

As the length we ordered was slightly longer than needed, we have a v.short length left and if anyone would like a small sample, contact myself.

• Like 1

Just returned from a very wet and windy 5 nights in St.Mawes Cornwall and I am happy to report that the newly fitted awning rail worked perfectly,5 mins to fit and erect the awning [plus longer for pegging down] and once the pegs and guy ropes released,about 3 mins to take down and bundle into the camper before it rained again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Just remembered we are using the awning next week, will take a series of pictures to show fitment and how the awning connects to the camper using the Kadar strip and figure of eight joiners.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, went to Minehead CCC set up awning etc. then my wife was taken ill during the early hours and  had to de-camp at 4-00am, drive home.She was admitted to hospital. Op today. I was going to take pics when de-rigging but obviously couldn't. When I get time I'll pop the top and take some pics.

3 hours ago, starider said:

Apologies, went to Minehead CCC set up awning etc. then my wife was taken ill during the early hours and  had to de-camp at 4-00am, drive home.She was admitted to hospital. Op today. I was going to take pics when de-rigging but obviously couldn't. When I get time I'll pop the top and take some pics.

Hope the op goes well and your wife makes s swift recovery - awnings can wait.

4 hours ago, starider said:

I am so sorry to hear your wife is (was) unwell.

I sincerely wish her a speedy and complete recovery.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 10:39 PM, starider said:

Hi, I decided at last to fit a permanent awning rail as I was not too happy with the magnetic one,which did not fit "grip" the roof evenly, and didn't feel that the magnets would be powerful enough in strong winds.

After some research and a chat with our nearest van converters[who convert mainly VWs} and have a huge amounts of work, they kindly recommended a company who will supply awning rail in any length. We contacted them and they offered to send a small sample at a minimal cost so that we could try to see if the fitment would clear the pop top when dropped down. A little care full measurement and placing the sample in various positions, my wife ordered the rail. When it arrived in an extremely sturdy tube, it was all systems go! The suppliers advised a tube of Sikaflex which is the caravan and motor industry sealer and adhesive. I had previously ordered a small set of round head stainless steel self tapping screws to fix down the rail. I drilled clearance holes through the rail at 4" centres along the length for the self tappers. [I will not give measurements as I would not want to be held liable for mistakes]. We laid the rail in the correct position and marked along the back edge with a marker, this allowed me to"lay" a strip of sealer[ about 1/2"inch wide ] along the roof,then the rail was placed in position and pushed firmly down, it was noted that the sealer squeezed through the drilled holes and worked really well as it sealed the screws when the correct size drill was used for the self tappers to do their job. It was just a matter of wiping off the excess sealer from both edges of the rail.

A small tip: the ends of the rail will need careful filing to remove the burrs left from cutting.

Details:- Supplier--Funky leisure.co.uk             02034114640     sales@funkyleisure.co.uk

Items purchased----VW T4 C-Channel Awning Rail-Length SWB-2.6m Length. Add Sikaflex 1 x 300ml tube Sikaflex 221. Total @ date of purchase £52-98[inc postage].

Depending on how an awning is fitted to a camper, methods of joining may vary. Ours requires a double edge 6mm x 6mm Kador Strip Awning connector and a set of "Figure of Eight"  6mm x 6mm slide along connectors.

As the length we ordered was slightly longer than needed, we have a v.short length left and if anyone would like a small sample, contact myself.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did the same several months ago but used the commercial 3M double sided tape basically same tape thats been used by the Caravan/Marine industry for many years  also made up a flexible small section of the Keder rail that can be used as an extension to the main Keder rail if the 'Awning tunnel material'  is found to be too wide for the fitted application

• Like 1

Thanks for the good wishes for my wife. I'm pleased to report that after a long difficult operation on Monday, I was able to fetch her home on Tuesday afternoon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, Have posted pictures of awning rail and fitment on another series of discussions about fitting awnings[managed to call the rail to figure of 8 joiners by the wrong name,known as KADOR strip]. Apologies!!

• Like 1