Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Alphard "thermal" window blinds...

There are full sets of these type of blinds available on Amazon/Ebay etc for around £136. ( silver one side, black on the other& fitted with suction cups) Does anyone have experience of using these type of blinds? Are they a decent fit with no gaps, are they reversible, & do they actually make any difference re condensation? 

Many thanks

Russ

Hi Russty,

I've used reflective thermal inslated suction blinds in my T4 for years. They block out the light well (even if there are little gaps round the sides.
Overnighting in my van in chilly (and even less so) conditions nearly always resulted in some condensation on the glass. I've not found a way around this - maybe keeping the window slightly open but then you have the cold - and the noise.
Not sure about the Alphard ones but my VW ones have been brilliant.
I'm thinking about getting an Alphard for ULEZ reasons so I'll be buying some of these when I do.
Or.... making my own but TBH it seems daft when these look so reasonable.

Hope this helps?

26 minutes ago, K_T said:

Hi Russty,

I've used reflective thermal inslated suction blinds in my T4 for years. They block out the light well (even if there are little gaps round the sides.
Overnighting in my van in chilly (and even less so) conditions nearly always resulted in some condensation on the glass. I've not found a way around this - maybe keeping the window slightly open but then you have the cold - and the noise.
Not sure about the Alphard ones but my VW ones have been brilliant.
I'm thinking about getting an Alphard for ULEZ reasons so I'll be buying some of these when I do.
Or.... making my own but TBH it seems daft when these look so reasonable.

Hope this helps?

Hi Karina,

Be cautious when buying a ULEZ compliant Alphard.

The early ones, I believe until some time during 2006, are not ULEZ.

Hopefully I'm correct, otherwise we will hear from more knowledgeable owners than !

Hi Rojie,

Yep, I'm there on that discussion! Hence looking for a 2007. However.... I'm now researching roofbars for carrying sea kayaks. They may prove to be the real deal breaker - £500 or so for imported ones??????
This is turning into quite the can of worms!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update re thermal blinds;  Went with a five piece front set from Fuel Lagoon. £69.99 including delivery. Good quality product, fully reversible and pretty much a perfect fit all round with no gaps. Can definitely recommend these.

• Like 1

Hi, we have a full set of the thermal blinds (Amazon). Got the name from a link on here. They are very good, not a perfect fit but more than good enough, the small gaps around the edges is not enough to affect them or for anyone to see in.

They are reversible which is great - we have used them during the summer heatwave and were cooler inside the van with the windows and sunroof cracked than it was outside, even in the peak of the day sun. We have used them last weekened on a camping trip as the temp dropped and were perfectly warm inside the van. We will reverse them for winter to keep as much heat in as possible so we think they will be fine through winter.

The only minor downside to us, which is a compromise on thermal blinds is the bulk when packed up as the bag takes up a bit of space. We go to and fro with the idea of built in curtains but will give it a bit longer yet as these are so cool and so warm that we are reluctant to change, but would like one less bulky bag when camping.