Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Insurance. Quite an eye opener

Hi all,

Took delivery of my 2007 Alphard yesterday, insurance is quite interesting, my current insurance provider does not insure Alphard (Saga) I tried the RAC, who quoted £2875.00, Churchill quoted £1875.00, I thought, lets try the comparison sites, yes you guessed it, quite a few insurers won't touch them, but more surprisingly is that both Churchill and the RAC were both quoting substantially less. £426 from one and £465 from the other. Quite illuminating. Insurance has since been acquired from RAC due to something going wrong and not going through to Churchill as expected.

I await next years renewal premium with interest.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jonboy55 said:

Hi all,

Took delivery of my 2007 Alphard yesterday, insurance is quite interesting, my current insurance provider does not insure Alphard (Saga) I tried the RAC, who quoted £2875.00, Churchill quoted £1875.00, I thought, lets try the comparison sites, yes you guessed it, quite a few insurers won't touch them, but more surprisingly is that both Churchill and the RAC were both quoting substantially less. £426 from one and £465 from the other. Quite illuminating. Insurance has since been acquired from RAC due to something going wrong and not going through to Churchill as expected.

I await next years renewal premium with interest.

£426 to £465 doesn't seem excessive to me.

• Thanks 1

Yes ours was £200 odd from Aviva. Part of the trouble with Churchill is they won't accept that there's a 2.4 model. We were with them for one year and then they wouldn't reinsure. Prices I guess are more for the higher CC model?

• Like 1

After being insured with Churchill for 4 years they refused to renew the policy as they no longer insured imports. Luckily Admiral were able to insure. Also some Alphie owners  near me have had trouble getting camper conversion’s covered. 

About £250 with Aviva. One of the main problems is that many insurers don’t recognise it as it was never an official UK market vehicle; however Aviva does. So far I’ve had no issues with them, I even paid a little bit extra to take it to Holland/Belgium this year and the premium was very reasonable, just £28 extra, about +10%.

• Like 1

I paid £302.12 with Safeguard that includes Assistance cover, legal protection, named additional driver (my wife), Foreign travel insurance (restricted on the no of days), 'AA' breakdown insurance (home and abroad) with certain restrictions.

So not a bad package at all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oddcouple said:

Paid £285 for our 3.5 v6 Vellfire for 1st year..

Good price.

All I would suggest is you get what you pay for.

However, I do think that some companies offer ridiculous prices hoping you accept.

Without naming names, some offer exorbitant quotes; and of course, brokers add their margin too.

When using brokers please ensure you know which company is the actual underwriter.

To be honest, how much do I pay? Not sure ! About £450 for agreed value.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rojie said:

Good price.

All I would suggest is you get what you pay for.

However, I do think that some companies offer ridiculous prices hoping you accept.

Without naming names, some offer exorbitant quotes; and of course, brokers add their margin too.

When using brokers please ensure you know which company is the actual underwriter.

To be honest, how much do I pay? Not sure ! About £450 for agreed value.

Sorry, I should have said mine is a converted vehicle.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Here's a link to many Jap car insurers in the UK.

https://www.google.com/search?q=UK+car+insurance+for+Japan+import&oq=UK+car+insurance+for+Japan+import&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.11853j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

https://www.japanesempvmotors.co.uk/japanese-car-insurers

Find Insurance - BIBA     , search insurance , vehicle , type in imports 

Lots and lots to choose from in England.

• 3 weeks later...

I think there are so many regional variations with insurance quotes that it's very difficult to have any like for like quote comparison here. I live in a very rural location and have been driving for 34 years without any claims being needed.