Check your Alphards past history in Japan in detail with CarVX ×

Roof Rails for Alphard Camper

Hi

Does anyone know the best rails to fit to a pop up roof on the Alphard please? I wish to fit my roof box to it.

I have been advised the VW versions are too long and require a flat roof. My roof has a curve to the front.

I have looked on the internet and found some Aircraft Lashing points and rails, which I believe will work and are at a reasonable cost of around £70.00.

• 6 months later...

Hi jtyoung

Yes I did!

I used 2 aluminium airline lashing rails 2.0 mts long and 4 single screw fittings.

I got them on Amazon From a company called NTG in Europe.

I fixed them using the existing bolts for the pop up roof.
Mir was fiddly as I hadn’t done this before but works really well. 

39E41A2C-E624-4E98-B628-1C3883EB3F1D.thumb.jpeg.a6b807ae0c44875c39cd0de12fd1073c.jpeg

• Like 1

James

Thanks. If you do manage to get the gear, there is a way of fixing the rail without removing the roof bolts that hold the roof down first.

I tried removing the bolts first but it was hell aligning them back up again.

I can explain my method if you want, just let me know.

James

Here’s the details of my order 

NTG 2 x 2m Aluminium Airline Lashing Rail Round Semicircular Shape with Holes 

Screw Fitting M8, Set of 4 for Airline Lashing Rails / Airline Fitting

Ideal, thanks gazza. 

One last question. 

I've only got a normal alphard, it hasn't been converted to a pop top. 

Do your bolts go through new fixings for the pop top or existing fixings? 

Thanks again for your help with this. Much appreciated 

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Bob

have you checked my posting in 2020? I think a couple of guys were looking for this.

If you need any further help let me know.

basically I used lashing rails and fixed them to the existing pop up bolts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 8:23 PM, Dick Powell said:

I'm looking to fit full length roof rails to my 2004 Alphard. There are fixings ar the front for roof bars, but nothing further back.

Has anybody ever done this?  Preferably without damaging bodywork. 

Dick did you ever have any luck with this? I'm trying to do the same for an 03 Alphard without pop top conversion. Basically same question as Bob, not sure where they would fit?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bartie 

We bought a 4 man tent an Airgo Horizon 4 just prior to getting the van.

Not wanting to throw it out, we decided to make it work as an awning.

we bought some tent fabric and Velcro and with a lot of measuring and sewing, managed to make an attachment which separates the tent from the van, but is wide enough so that the door can be opened and closed.

We used heavy duty tool magnets from Lidl which cost about £3.00 each to hold the fabric on the van roof.  Even a hurricane won’t lift this off!

Sorry if you thought it was a bespoke awning, but if your handy you too could make this.

• Like 1

Hi Gazza

thanks for your swift reply. Sounds good. We actually have a driveaway air awning and have purchased a magnetic strip with Kador and figure of 8 strips to hold awning on but seems flimsy! The tool magnets sound a good idea- would you be able to send us a close up pic please? Many thanks.

Hi Bartie

we bought one of those but it was useless and wouldn’t work efficiently especially in windy conditions.

it’s called Lidl magnetic strip. I saw some in our store today so they are still available.

B4979A1C-770E-4FE5-ABF8-55781B38F2E2.jpeg

I meant the Kador kit was useless. The magnet strips are fantastic. I use 4 but it’s a bit overkill. They’re mych easier to fix and remove.

Hi Bartie

Glad to help.

we sewed some fabric pockets on the edge of our awning so that we could just slide the strip magnets into. Works a treat!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/8/2021 at 7:33 PM, Gazza said:

Hi Bartie

Glad to help.

we sewed some fabric pockets on the edge of our awning so that we could just slide the strip magnets into. Works a treat!

Love this!

Magnetic tool strips look the business. Got them in the local Aldi here in Edinburgh too.